Topics

Lofturs automatic magnetic loop and BITX

John Dooley <john@...>

Hi all

I’m new to building arduino projects (which are great fun by the way) and I had successfully built the arduino based magnetic loop controller by Lofturs.  With that success I wanted to add to my box a HF board and so the idea last night was to combine the two projects.

Has anyone done this and have they got CAT interaction working?  I’ve managed it with icom 7300 but wondered if BITX has this feature.  I’ve got plenty of time to plan as I await dispatch since ordering yesterday.

Also Is it possible to combine the colour touch screen from Lofturs with this so I can just use the one screen?  If not, I’m happy with two screens on the same kit box. See attached my magnetic ATU which I want to combine:-

73 de M3doo
John

Sascha Bohnet | DL5SMB

I combined both last year.

I used KD8CECs firmware and made some changes to the code to create a fake AM mode for tuning.
You can find the details somewhere in this group, I can't look it up at the moment.
I have not yet seen Lofthurs controller with a TFT yet, I was using the 4x20 LC-Display and a Nextion on the uBitx.

Sascha

John Dooley

Thanks for your post

It is here I think

I’m glad I asked as I’d have probably spent £300 on busting teensy before getting anything to work.

I’m going to be using v6 - do you think that will be an issue with the included display and not using the nextion ?

I’d be happy with two 4x20 LC to be fair - I just want the controller to follow the Raduino and hopefully with enough ferrite choke and low noise motors it will be ok.  Is it advisable to shield the rf swr/pwr BRIDGE I have for controller with extra shielding from Raduino and what material should I use?

Hopefully my radio club opens soon as I think I’ll get out of depth pretty quickly when having to diagnose TTL and such like as I have limited access to test equipment.

Anyway the dream continues and I’m sure I’ll make it.  I want to put both projects in 19” for portable use and laser cut the front panel - I work in schools and have three laser machines at my disposal including three makerbots for 3D print- which I’ve used to make the magnetic loop controller mounts.

I don’t actually plan on transmitting with this until filtering and harmonics have been qualified and I have my next license level - which I am hoping to take once lockdown ends.

73 de M3doo
John

On Mon, 29 Jun 2020 at 12:00, Sascha Bohnet | DL5SMB via groups.io <saschabohnet=googlemail.com@groups.io> wrote:
I combined both last year.

I used KD8CECs firmware and made some changes to the code to create a fake AM mode for tuning.
You can find the details somewhere in this group, I can't look it up at the moment.
I have not yet seen Lofthurs controller with a TFT yet, I was using the 4x20 LC-Display and a Nextion on the uBitx.

Sascha

Sascha Bohnet | DL5SMB

Hi John,

yes, that's the thread I was talking about.
You're right, I completly forgot about the burnt teensies and the serial trouble. That was quite an expensive and challenging adventure.

Using a V6 uBitx with the stock firmware is an undiscovered country, as you will have to modify the code on your own.

The stock firmware does include CAT control by now, so generally you can do it. However since I used KD8CECs software,
I don't know where and how you would have to change the stock code.

If you'll put in a 20x4 display or a nextion, you can just copy what I did and it should work.

I did shield the HF bridge, but I never tested it unshielded. So I cannot say if it really is necessary. I just used some double-sided
copper PCBs to built a wall/box in the case

19'' for portable is quite big. Please do share a photo when finished. I wish I had acces to such machines.

Sascha