Topics

Last effort before it is scrapped.....

McRuss
 

OK, I'm frustrated with the V6.  I'm not very technical but I've followed along for a while.  My issue NOW is that I can't get the audio 'clean.'  I've done the BFO tune twice and on 20m it was fair.  But I had a problem with the TX sticking (stock kit mike).  I switched my antenna to 40 and now I don't seem to have the TX problem but I can not get a clean audio (voice) signal.  Reminds me of the old CB days where we used a 'clarifier' to tune the SSB rigs.  Except I can't tune this thing!
--
Russ
K5FJR

Gordon Gibby
 

Maybe radio frequency interference?  try the ferrites, check it out lower power to rule it out?


On Jul 4, 2020, at 09:12, McRuss via groups.io <wtrrtw@...> wrote:

OK, I'm frustrated with the V6.  I'm not very technical but I've followed along for a while.  My issue NOW is that I can't get the audio 'clean.'  I've done the BFO tune twice and on 20m it was fair.  But I had a problem with the TX sticking (stock kit mike).  I switched my antenna to 40 and now I don't seem to have the TX problem but I can not get a clean audio (voice) signal.  Reminds me of the old CB days where we used a 'clarifier' to tune the SSB rigs.  Except I can't tune this thing!
--
Russ
K5FJR

Gordon Gibby
 

Add .001 Uf capacitor from the Mike lead to ground?

Great chance for learning, frustrating as all get out .....been there myself many times... I have an older ICOM radio with the same problem. About to tear into it this week.  


On Jul 4, 2020, at 09:13, Gordon Gibby <docvacuumtubes@...> wrote:

Maybe radio frequency interference?  try the ferrites, check it out lower power to rule it out?


On Jul 4, 2020, at 09:12, McRuss via groups.io <wtrrtw@...> wrote:

OK, I'm frustrated with the V6.  I'm not very technical but I've followed along for a while.  My issue NOW is that I can't get the audio 'clean.'  I've done the BFO tune twice and on 20m it was fair.  But I had a problem with the TX sticking (stock kit mike).  I switched my antenna to 40 and now I don't seem to have the TX problem but I can not get a clean audio (voice) signal.  Reminds me of the old CB days where we used a 'clarifier' to tune the SSB rigs.  Except I can't tune this thing!
--
Russ
K5FJR

Evan Hand
 

McRuss,
Is the audio problem on receive or transmit?

If on transmit, then the suggestions by Gordon are the first step.  Then go to the final BFO calibration in the 3 step process of Ashhar Farhan's video (see link below)

If on Recieve, then be sure to follow all three steps in the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6LGXhS4_O8

Note: The reason for the three steps in the calibration process is that the first BFO setting is being set to allow for optimum zero beating.  You need the low-frequency response to hear the zero beat as you get closer to the correct frequency.  You then need to change that setting to optimize for normal audio.

Good luck!
73
Evan
AC9TU

Bob Lunsford
 

Changing antennas making it perform OK may indicate that you had high SWR on the other antenna/s. The RF could have caused feedback and received distortion. You may want to recheck the SWR on the other antenna/s.

Bob — KK5R

On Saturday, July 4, 2020, 9:12:20 AM EDT, McRuss via groups.io <wtrrtw@...> wrote:


OK, I'm frustrated with the V6.  I'm not very technical but I've followed along for a while.  My issue NOW is that I can't get the audio 'clean.'  I've done the BFO tune twice and on 20m it was fair.  But I had a problem with the TX sticking (stock kit mike).  I switched my antenna to 40 and now I don't seem to have the TX problem but I can not get a clean audio (voice) signal.  Reminds me of the old CB days where we used a 'clarifier' to tune the SSB rigs.  Except I can't tune this thing!
--
Russ
K5FJR

@KF4ZGZ
 

 I have a v6. I expect you are tuning to the correct frequency, but the local isn’t dead on.
It won’t be. The closet I got was .020 but it worse on other bands. I set it on 40m and deal with it everywhere else. With a tuning step of 50 you’re kinda stuck in between.
Ill simply did it like this: Find an ongoing QSO ON 40m. Set BFO with the online aid on a nearby clear frequency. Exit and go back and set the frequency where it should be not matter what it sounds like. Now go set the local oscillator so that ongoing QSO sounds right. 
Even with this you may still have to tune down 50 to 300 to get it zero beat on other frequencies.

Bob Bennett
 

The creator of the BitX series of radios explained that it is a radio for hackers. What other HF radio is out there for the same price. I have been searching. ;-)
--
Bob
NZ2Z

Bob Lunsford
 

I searched for the same more out of curiosity than anything. While there are some at near the same price but they only do one band, for the most part. I wanted the range of features the V6 has so I went for it.

If you only want a single band, there are some out there but most are CW only and do not have SSB. Plus, they are not general coverage receivers that can receive from the bottom of the AM broadcast band all the way to about 30MHz. For me this is a huge plus...

The radio is neat, compact, and full of features I appreciate. I have not found another radio that offers so much unless you are willing to pay at least double the price of the V6. Assembly is so easy that I smile when remembering the "kits" I put together from Heathkit many years ago. Even the little TenTec kits were days in the making for most people unless you took a day off and did only that. The Cub is nice but it is CW only and covers only part of a single band that the builder sellects.

With the full kit, you get a radio that can be proudly shown to other hams and many of them will want one. Even competition has to copy many of the V6 features but they will still fall short, I believe, unless they make it their goal to present something with more features than the V6 full kit.

Hackers like it so they can add other features like AGC, etc.  But as it is out of the box and put together in about an hour (reminds me of the Elecraft KX radios), it is better than the TenTec Argonaut at a fraction of the original price of the Argonaut. And the Argonaut only covered 80M and up while the V6 is open for use on the WARC bands, also. I could go on but you probably get the idea. I have built and used many QRP radios but the V6 with all the features has them all beat.

For $200 you get a V6...? And with a box, speaker and microphone? Unbelievable. The only think lacking is a straight key.

Time for another QST feature/review article, I think.

Bob — KK5R

On Sunday, July 5, 2020, 1:20:23 PM EDT, Bob Bennett via groups.io <bobsmacbox@...> wrote:


The creator of the BitX series of radios explained that it is a radio for hackers. What other HF radio is out there for the same price. I have been searching. ;-)
--
Bob
NZ2Z