Topics

Kit box paint removal

bill wright

All
I remember a thread regarding paint removal on a Kit box chassis.
What is the prevailing approach to remove paint to achieve continuity
between MB and daughter to Kit chassis? I tried brush/grinder/paint remover

Appreciate any comments. 
73 Bill de kd5yyk

Curt

No exact answers here. I suggest using a large drill bit, by hand, to remove paint at RF connector.

Curt

Ian Reeve

I use a countersink drill bit and carefully remove a thin circular strip of paint and use star washers for all fixings.These washers provide a excellent connection to ground wherever needed..

From: BITX20@groups.io <BITX20@groups.io> on behalf of Curt via Groups.Io <wb8yyy@...>
Sent: Friday, August 23, 2019 6:47:46 PM
To: BITX20@groups.io <BITX20@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [BITX20] Kit box paint removal

No exact answers here. I suggest using a large drill bit, by hand, to remove paint at RF connector.

Curt

Mark Hatch

I tended to use a Dremel or when I could reach it a belt sander. 

HOWEVER, I seem to remember that there was a thread about the paint somewhere that suggest paint dust and breathing were not something to do at the same time....

Mark

db1bmn@...

Ian Reeve

Should always be mindful of paint dust etc,I never use power tools for this purpose,a hand drill and counter sinking bit work for me.Any dust thus created won't be spread and inhaled as you drill at hand speed.

From: BITX20@groups.io <BITX20@groups.io> on behalf of db1bmn@... <db1bmn@...>
Sent: Friday, August 23, 2019 7:45:02 PM
To: BITX20@groups.io <BITX20@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [BITX20] Kit box paint removal

mtngentleman@...

I used a drammel to make bare the areas that needed to be grounded;; also the tops of the 4 lugs where the board is connected..   

Hi,

I would take a small "pocket screwdriver" and file it down to a sharp chisel tip.  Then go around the hole and make a circle cut the size of the bolt head or standoff.  Finally, chip/chisel off the paint going from the outer circle towards the hole.  It should do a neat job in the end and not be too hard.

Mark.