Topics

KD8CEC firmware and basic Manager settings #ubitx-help

Nigel G4ZAL

Has someone got some baseline numbers for Ian's 'uBitx Manager' for the following (I'm playing with version 1.061) :
Master calibration (zero is a good enough starting point it seems).
LSB Calibration
USB calibration

I have managed to screw mine up and now have USB & LSB transposed.  I know, I know, I should have made a backup before tweaking, but I didn't.

Nikos SV1IYF

Hi Nigel,

I calibrated mine as follows:
Master Calibration 143000 => Accuracy within 3Hz @10MHz, as delivered was ~75Hz off
USB Calibration 11996200 => Places the audio BW @ 430-2450Hz @-6dB
I ended up with said figure for USB as I only work FT8 and also the farther the crystal filter's pass-band is shifted from zero the better the carrier suppression and the LSB sideband (which are nothing to boast about).
LSB Calibration: Nothing tampered yet.

73 Nikos
SV1IYF

On 30/3/2018 9:19 μμ, Nigel G4ZAL wrote:
Has someone got some baseline numbers for Ian's 'uBitx Manager' for the following (I'm playing with version 1.061) :
Master calibration (zero is a good enough starting point it seems).
LSB Calibration
USB calibration

I have managed to screw mine up and now have USB & LSB transposed.  I know, I know, I should have made a backup before tweaking, but I didn't.

Nigel G4ZAL

Hi Nikos,

Thanks for your input, I put those numbers into my Manager and wrote them to the uBitx.
I am now receiving FT8 on the correct sideband and pretty much spot on frequency.

I wonder if any others have some base numbers to compare?

Thanks again Nikos.

Nigel.

Rob Snow

I wanted to let you know that I entered your calibration numbers into my uBITX and have fixed by WSJT-X offset issues.  I was ~85Hz off at 14MHz and 45Hz off at 7MHz, thank you for the numbers...where did you get them?

Also, changing the USB calibration I'm now able to dig out all the signals that I was missing under about 900Hz offset.

Nikos SV1IYF

Hi Rob,
Didn't get them, just "crafted" them (smiling face here).
For the first one, I started with the zero beat calibration procedure, as per general instructions.
I noticed that the beating (lack of) was happening on two consecutive dial numbers, 15 and 16 or 16 and 17, don't remember exactly any more.
I tried setting up the radio under both of them, writing down the long numbers and at the same time measuring the frequency offset by tuning in to the Russian time standard TX (9.996 MHz) and the calibration tool of WSJT-X.
One was a bit bellow, the other was more above, so I interpolated the exact value, finally rounding it a bit.
For the second number, I tried some values by juggling between a) the best use of the 2kHz available bandwidth and b) getting more carrier and image LSB sideband suppression by monitoring the waterfall of my IC-7300.
It was a compromise task, I think did as best as I could.
73 Nikos
SV1IYF

On 6/4/2018 10:32 μμ, Rob Snow wrote:
I wanted to let you know that I entered your calibration numbers into my uBITX and have fixed by WSJT-X offset issues.  I was ~85Hz off at 14MHz and 45Hz off at 7MHz, thank you for the numbers...where did you get them?

Also, changing the USB calibration I'm now able to dig out all the signals that I was missing under about 900Hz offset.

David Beal

Hi Nikos,

Do you recall how much image suppression you saw?
By "ear", my radio seems to have quite poor receive image suppression. Changes to the USB and Master calibration values aren't having much affect on the unwanted sideband image.

My current settings are:
Master:  150000
USB: 11997285

Thank you

--
Dave Beal
AE6RQ

mtrager1@...

Is there an easy way to using the Memory Manager and inputting those values from the right side to the left (example:  Master 150000 and USB 11997285)?

If I encode them and decode them back they do not take (goes back to what was there)!

I would like to try for example:  Master 135250 and USB 11997200

Thanks,

Michael n2zdb

Nigel G4ZAL

Once you have changed values in Memory Manager, encoded/written them back to your uBitx, you must then disconnect from the USB cable and remove power from the uBitx (turn off).
Then, power on again and after the power cycle, connect Memory Manager again and read in/decode the values - they should have changed now...

Nigel.

mtrager1@...

Hi Nigel,

Thank you for your help!
I now have my uBITX right on frequency at 28.4 MHz using what I calculated to be the best Master Cal number...

Still have to work on the carrier null, power output on high F bands, and audio quality.

73's Michael
n2zdb