Topics

#js8call #bitx20 #bitx20 #js8call

Neil Tolman

For any using BITX for js8call:  How have you interfaced with your computer.
Thank you.
73
Neil K1NBT

Jimmy Capizzi

On my uBitx I used a "Easy Digi" interface I got off eBay for a few bucks, and USB cat control with the KD8CEC firmware.  Works very well.

On Mon, Sep 9, 2019, 7:47 AM Neil Tolman via Groups.Io <k1nbt=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

For any using BITX for js8call:  How have you interfaced with your computer.
Thank you.
73
Neil K1NBT

ray_gardiner

I did much the same,  easydigi, and a small 4 port USB hub mounted in the back so that I only have one USB cable to the raspberri pi running the FT8 software.  KD8CEC firmware with Nextion display

I mostly leave it running in ft8 listen only mode,  it's been on 20m for a day or so, and it's interesting to see the propagation changes.

https://pskreporter.info/pskmap.html?preset&callsign=vk3ynv&mode=FT8&band=12000000-16000000&timerange=86400&hideunrec=1&blankifnone=1&hidelight=1&showsnr=1&showlines=1

Good conditions to Europe from Australia, not so good to the USA apart from a few west coast stations.

73
Ray VK3YNV

Neil,

 I too used a easydigi and a RS232 board for ptt. My site should have some interfaces coming soon that will be in and around 2, I will post more details on that later.

Below is what I used for my Bitx40 and uBitx.

http://kit-projects.com/Digital%20modes%20with%20A%20Bitx40.htm
--
David

 N8DAH
Kit-Projects.com

Shop is open!

Dean Souleles

I went straight from the uBITx headphone jack to the mic jack on my laptop, and from the headphone jack on the laptop to the mic jack on the uBITx.  I had to adjust the levels for both the mic and headphone on the laptop, and keep the volume control on the uBITx low to avoid overdriving audio to the laptop.  I used the meter in wsjtx to verify the level in to the laptop and an external meter to measure RF power.  I adjusted for 10 watts on 20 meters.

It works on all digital modes just fine.

Dean
KK4DAS

Dexter N Muir

I wonder, Ray: how is it to ZL? Dateline having some effect? :)

73
Dex ZL2DEX

Doug W

We have a wiki page on this topic you might find helpful.  https://groups.io/g/BITX20/wiki/Digital-Setup  Like all wikis, if you have helpful information to add or find errors that need correcting it will help those that follow.  Also of interest, if you access this list from the website at https://groups.io/g/BITX20/topics there is a search function.
--
www.bitxmap.com

Neil Tolman

Thank you to all that have relied!
Neil

On Monday, September 9, 2019, 4:30:24 PM EDT, Doug W <dougwilner@...> wrote:

We have a wiki page on this topic you might find helpful.  https://groups.io/g/BITX20/wiki/Digital-Setup  Like all wikis, if you have helpful information to add or find errors that need correcting it will help those that follow.  Also of interest, if you access this list from the website at https://groups.io/g/BITX20/topics there is a search function.
--
www.bitxmap.com

Don - KM4UDX

+1 for Dean's (KK4DAS)  approach.

(1) CAT control  USB cable drives both freq and TX/RX (PTT).

(2) Audio patch cables drive the audio between laptop audio i/o and uBITX i/o.

The simplicity and reliability  of this approach wins the day.

Don
Km4udx

ray_gardiner

Hi Dexter,  ZL  to VK on 20M seems to come up out of the noise in mid afternoon AEST,  a few hours before sunset,  but away fades rapidly,   that's the way  it generally seems to me anyway.

If you search pskreporter.info  for spots from ZL2RX to the east coast of australia,  they all seem to be around 02:00Z to 03:00Z

73
Ray VK3YNV