Topics

Is it possible to get a version of the uBITX that still uses the older LCD text display?

I was looking into getting the basic uBitx kit and installing it into an old Realistic Navaho TRC-431 case because the case looked very nice. But that was back before the v6 came out. Now the v6 has this larger touchscreen that would not fit easily in any of the existing openings.

Is it possible to still get the v5 if the v6 can't use the older displays? (And if the v6 can use the older display is there a place to even get it?)

I want to avoid going crazy modding the ubitx just to make it look nice.

Reed N

You can put any screen you want on it. Might have to do some coding tweaks, but no fundamental reason you couldn't use a 2-line display on a v6 system.

Reed

Evan Hand

Reed, you are correct, you CAN make the changes, however, there are differences in the Raduino layout that means you will need to do some jumpering, including changing the orientation of the display.  You would also need to verify the pins to connect the parallel control 2 line display to the pins that currently use two serial channels to communicate with the screen and touch control.

The alternative is to rewrite a significant portion os the user interface, or import from the v5 those sections of code.  Being as you have made a significant modification to the base code, you would be in a better position to comment on this than I am.

From others, we do know that the Nextion screen modification works, so I would assume that the original screen with the KD8CEC software would work.  If you find a serial input display, there is a version for that with the KD8CEC software.  Not huge tasks, but there are physical board differences that would need to be taken into account with the case (the v6 Raduino is larger and the header for the display is vertical on the side vs horizontal on the top).  You will also need to verify the pins on the Raduino that link to the display header coincide with the parallel pins on the original Raduino header link to the Nano

I found a front view of the 431, and might suggest that you look at using the speaker opening for the stock display, and move the speaker to the top or side.  That would allow for the color interface, and you are just adding jumpers to make it fit.  You will still need to move the volume control and jacks off of the board and mount in the holes in the case.  You could convert the meter to an S meter with an AGC or diode detector off the audio.

FWIW
73
Evan
AC9TU

Reed N

I was actually thinking the easiest path would be to use the KD8CEC software, since I think it already supports the 2 line, doesn't it?

Reef

MVS Sarma

Even with ubitx v6 one could use 16*2 lcd with old rDuino meant for v5. Pl read the v6 discription.

Sarma vu3zmv

On Sat, 6 Jun 2020, 10:30 am Reed N, <greenkid336600+groupsio@...> wrote:
I was actually thinking the easiest path would be to use the KD8CEC software, since I think it already supports the 2 line, doesn't it?

Reef

Okay. Seems it wouldn't be super simple to do then. I could cut out the speaker area and use it that way..  Also was going to re-write the audio anyways because I planned on using the original mic from the radio. (Was going to try and convert it to 10m originally but found it to be heavily modded by its original owner :( )

Also I believe this radio shell is large enough to hold the uBitx and also possibly a raspberry pi to allow working FT8 and the such from it easily. (Using VNC to log in)

Thanks for all the help!

KD9KCK

Bob Benedict, KD8CGH

Bill
  I have an extra uBitx V3 unbuilt kit available.
Also, see my uBitx in an old Heathkit tower case here https://groups.io/g/BITX20/message/40383

Bill Cromwell

Hi,

My uBitX V3 is using the original parallel 2 line display. I have other arduino toys here and using two wire, two line displays with those. There is no trouble at all finding those displays. Now that I know the CEC software supports those I will snag a copy and use it with my serial displays in a home brew raduino project. As with many electronic parts - cheaper by the dozen. I have more than two or three :)

73,

Bill KU8H

bark less - wag more

On 6/5/20 11:03 PM, Evan Hand wrote:
---snip----
From others, we do know that the Nextion screen modification works, so I would assume that the original screen with the KD8CEC software would work.
******
If you find a serial input display, there is a version for that
with the KD8CEC software.
******

Not huge tasks, but there are physical board
differences that would need to be taken into account with the case (the v6 Raduino is larger and the header for the display is vertical on the side vs horizontal on the top).  You will also need to verify the pins on the Raduino that link to the display header coincide with the parallel pins on the original Raduino header link to the Nano