Topics

Installing nextion 3.2P

Gerard

Hello,
To morrow i thing to install Arduino on my borad *Bitx.
This is well explained in procedure 1.5.1
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jlllZbvFMCzO1MJLzlJDGb10HXSehlFNMDPsxGJZtvY/edit#

The most important:
I will soon install after my 3.2 inch Nextion screen
NX4024K032
EnHanced HMI Display
Can you confirm that this is
the correct procedure on this video (See link below)

Confirm the latest version is 1.097?

On the video, i seen that  the micro SD card only serves once?
He takes it off after!

Too bad I ordered a 32 GB SD card on purpose
And I thought she had to stay on the screen.
So you’re confirming that it only serves once?
thank you

Evan Hand

Without reviewing the entire videos, yes, they both seem to be correct.  The two things that you will need to verify is:
1 - That you have the correct tft file for the Nextion display.  You will know right away, as the file will not load and you will get an error when you try to load it.
2 - The current KD8CEC version for all uBITX versions is 1.2.  This can be found at:
https://github.com/phdlee/ubitx/releases/tag/v1.20

There are 2 folders in the zip file to download.  One is for the v5 and v6 uBITX, the other is for the prior versions (2, 3, and 4).  Be sure to get the correct one for your board.  The main difference is the SSB filter frequency: v5 and v6 use 11.059 MHz crystals, the other versions use 12.000 MHz crystals.

Any of the tft files will work with the KD8CEC Nano software.  The differences are the Nextion controller and the screen size that are on the Nextion hardware.

There is also a PC based Memory Manager program from Dr. Ian Lee (KD8CEC):
https://github.com/phdlee/ubitx/releases/tag/v1.11
http://www.hamskey.com/2018/01/ubitx-memory-manager-program.html
This is useful to save good settings between trials.  You can also set parameters that may not be available on the Nextion screen, as for some versions the little-used screens were cut to fit the program in the Nextion memory.

Other links:
http://www.hamskey.com/2019/04/release-cec-firmware-v1200-for-ubitx.html

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you are successful.
73
Evan
AC9TU

Gerard

Hello,
I just programmed the µbitxv6 version in my Arduino.
I think this is correct because before I had a fixed red led and a 2nd flashing.
I don’t know why, but the first time it didn’t work. I had to reinstall the CH40 driver.
There, now I only have a fixed red led. If I disconnect and reconnect, I have a fixed led and the other one blinks 8 times and turns off.
However, I cannot read the model map.
unknown card message. PID 7523 and VID 1A86. It seems that this is the fact of a Chinese card?
So there is a way to be sure  (Style SOFT reading of the pgm in the arduino)?
Thank's

Evan Hand

We need to start over.
This file:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jlllZbvFMCzO1MJLzlJDGb10HXSehlFNMDPsxGJZtvY/edit#
Is for Reed's version of the software for version 6 uBITX.  It does not work with the Nextion screen, only the stock version 6 display.

I looked at the video, and it is describing the process to install a Nextion screen on an older version uBITX.  What is the version that you have?  Did it come from HF Signals with a graphic screen or a two-line display?

We need a better understanding of what you have and what your are trying to do.  If you are upgrading a version 6 to the KD8CEC firmware with the Nextion 3.2" screen, then you need to follow these instructions:
https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/groupsioattachments/5062/69473862/74572/0?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJECNKOVMCCU3ATNQ&Expires=1598633940&Signature=AtgyyjwtRcZuZMj32YVEKsvHlyM%3D&response-content-disposition=inline%3B+filename%3D%22UBITX+V6+NEXTION+TFT+DISPLAY+MODIFICATION.pdf%22

The prior email from me would be correct for the above upgrade.

Let us know what you are trying to do and we can go from there.

73
Evan
AC9TU

Gerard

Good evening,
Look at the pictures. It is a completely handcrafted construction of a µbitx according to what is described by M0THY.
see this link
https://ubitx.net/2018/07/02/homebrew-ubitx-with-through-hole-components/

What I need to know and to download:
1) µBitx version for 12MHZ filter. V6???, V5???
(Please give a link to download)
2) Other files needed to work with a 3.2 inch Nextion screen.
(Please give the links to download)
It should be considered as an installation from zero.
It's not easy for me, all is in English. Lol.
Thanks for your answers.

Evan Hand

Gerald,
Since you stated that the SSB filter is made from 12MHz crystals, you need a version 2, 3, or 4 file.  That is in the UBITXV234 folder in the following github link:
https://github.com/phdlee/ubitx/releases/tag/v1.20
Download the zip file and extract the uBITXV234 folder.  It has the hex files for the Nano

The Nextion screen files are more complicated, as there is not a direct file from Dr. Ian Lee (KD8CEC).  I have attached the editor file and the tft file to load for the version that I am using.  Dr. Ian Lee did not make a 3.2-inch version, so this is one of many edits to his original files done by others.  To make it fit, there are screens missing from the original 2.4" version.  You can search the internet for other files to try to find another one until you find one with the features that you like.

You should NOT use the v5 or v6 for your board.  Rather the v4 would most likely be the best.  You can find the files for the pins to connect the Nextion display on HF Signals:
https://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/ubitx-v4-archived/
They will be the same as the pins for the original 2 line by 16 character parallel display that you then trace back to the Nano.  You will need to work that out for yourself from the schematics.

You could also need the KD8CEC memory manager to adjust the Low Pass Filter relay turn on frequencies.  That would depend on which of the 2 versions of the filter layout that you used.  The change occurred with v5 to reduce the harmonic pass-through issues.  I included the link in an earlier email.

Evan
AC9TU

Gerard

Evan,
Thank's for your reply
Look on the capture file.
that’s where I don’t understand
If we look at the µbitxv6 folder, we have files to download in the arduino (with the possibility to change the callsign)
You told me this version will not work. (This is a Reeds version? I don’t know what that is?)

If you look in the µbitx234 folder you have HEX files, and the notepad indicates more than one screen choice.
I think it’s for the next step where I would take your attached files for Nextion.

I think I’m still at the starting point, I need a folder similar to the µbitxv6 folder intended for 12MHZ filter to be transferred in the Arduino Nano with the Nano software. (Files type H, cpp, etc)

I think you understand what I mean. It’s like a blank µbitx and I have to load the base software.
thanks for the return

Gerard

The file

Evan Hand

Gerard,

What I meant by Reed's software is the software that is referenced in the link you provided titled:

uBiTX v6 Manual

For Reed N’s Arduino Nano Software, R1.5.1

Reed N's software is for the uBITX that comes with a 2.8"
ILI9341 display. That display does not use the same controller as the Nextion, nor does it have the same pinout.

My assumption is that you have built a clone with the same RF and Audio stages that all of the uBITX have in common. Also that you have implemented the SSB filter using 12MHz crystals. I do not know how you have implemented the low pass filter selection, and that did change between versions. Knowing which version uBITX schematic you used would help.

You did state that you have a 3.2" Nextion Enhanced display (I verified the part number you gave), so you will need to use one of the 2 files that end in NX from the KD8CEC files download. I assume you did not implement the second Nano for signal processing, so the correct file to load into the Nano is:
UBITX_CEC_V1.200_NX.hex
That would be from the UBITXV234 folder.

The alternative is to download the source, modify the defines to match your build, compile, and then download. I have not done this, so cannot help with that.

Since you did not build the Raduino vfo/display board, you do need to work out the connections to the Nextion display. Two ways to do that:
1 - Use the KD8CEC connection instructions to work back to the correct pins on the Nano
2 - Use the v6 Nextion conversion pdf that I sent to work back the connections to the Nano.
Either way, you will need to trace the two digital signal leads from the Nextion display back to the correct Nano pins. Power and ground should be obvious. I believe that the pins on the Nano are pins 26 and 27.

I am not sure I fully understand your build yet, so you will need to take what I give you and verify it on your own. Also, I agree that not speaking the same language natively does hinder communication. I commend your ability to speak more than one language. I cannot.

Good Luck in the build, and bounce back with any more questions. I am retired, so have time on my hands to help.
73
Evan
AC9TU

Gerard

Hello,
Look at the picture.
I had actually started a connector test for the SI5351.
There was only one weld! it was like that from a time!

After soldering, I have a clock 0 at about 36mhz and clock 1 at 12mhz. (difficult to measure on the oscillo)
That’s a good start.
The arduino must work because at the oscillo I have signals on the different legs.
I wait for my Micro sd card to continue the tests, unless he would have something else to do. But there, no screen, so blind.
cdt

Gerard

Evan,

This day i receive the micro sd card.
So:
I have copied your two files on the Micro Sd card (E32.hmi and e32.Tft
Ihave also load with xloader the hex file for Nextion without IC2 meter.
After that, i have connected the Nextion with the µbitx
First power  >> Message files copied on the nextion.
I had removed the micro SD card
Second power, the screen seem working, but the display does not fill the screen.
Something wrong?

Question: Are the 2 files provided good for a 3.2 inch screen?
Should the hex file be used with the IC2 meter option?
Or what?

when this problem is resolved, Is there a document or link to calibrate it and put it into operation
Thank you

Evan Hand

Based on the picture, I must have given you a Nextion tft file that does not fill the screen.  I would suggest you look online for one.  I would use uBITX 3.2.tft in the search.  That will bring up a number of hits that you will need to work through to find the correct one.  Best is trial and error.  Download the file, erase all files on the sd card, copy the new tft file only to the sd card, then transfer to the Nextion display.  You must erase any tft files, and I recommend all files, on the sd card before you transfer to the Nextion.

I have not checked my 3.2 inch uBITX, so may have the shorten screen as well.

Unless you have added the second Nano in the communication line to the Nextion screen, you should not use the hex file version that ends in _S.  When you connect the display to the uBITX Raduino/Nano the frequency should show and the touch screen should work.  That is true even with the screen that you have in the picture.  I would verify that the rest of the uBITX is working before I would try to find a tft file to fill the Nextion screen.

73
Evan
AC9TU

Gerard

Evan,
I found files for 3.2-inch log-in.
I reloaded everything and Xloader again the HEX file. The screen seem OK.
My µBitx moaned like a newborn!
So far, it’s just a whistle at 1,500 Hz.
The encoder works too.
We’re taking small steps
We probably have to calibrate everything.
i will look into it.

A remark, as soon as we load a HEX file, the manager does not check
it more communicate (Even resetting the port, etc). It must be reinstalled. But that is not the most important.
cdt

Evan Hand

Gerard,
Glad that you are making progress.  Small steps forward are good!

I have found that you need to close the port in the Memory Manager software before you disconnect the USB cable.  If you do that every time, then the Manager can connect the next time you plug the uBITX in and open the port.  Otherwise, as you have found, you need to close the Memory Manager program and then reopen it.  I assume that is what you mean by reinstalling, as the Memory Manager is not an installed Windows program.  It is an exe program that needs to be run from the command line or the Windows file explorer.

As to calibration, Ashhar Farhan has a good video for the v6 calibration process.  The concept will work for all of the uBITX models, just the controls are different.  The one exception is the stock model 5 software goings into transmit mode to do the calibration.  That is not the case with the KD8CEC software. There are three major steps:
1 - Adjust the BFO to the low side of the SSB filter to maximize the zero beat capabilities (you need the low frequency to hear the cutoff).
2 - Calibrate the frequency
3 - Readjust the BFO to center the audio between 300 and 3000 Hz.

Here is the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6LGXhS4_O8

To do the BFO and calibration steps, I use the Yello Box menu system to get to the setup menu and make the adjustments.  That is a multistep process:
1 - you need to press the encoder to bring up the yellow menu box.
2 - rotate the encoder until you get to the setup? item
3 - press the encoder to turn on the setup extensions to the menu system
4 - press the encoder again to go back into the menu
5 - rotate the encoder until you get to either the BFO or Calibration selection, depending on what you want to do.
6 - press the encoder to go into the calibration or tuning function.

It is still easier to do the initial settings using the built-in menu, rather than using the Memory Manager.  Once you have something that works, THEN use the management software to save it, and make adjustments going forward.

Above are the way that I do things, there are many ways to accomplish the calibration and alignment.  Verify that you have a tuned antenna with a low SWR when making the adjustments.
73
Evan
AC9TU

Gerard

Hello,

Some pb's with my home made PCB µBitx. LOL

1) When I test the frequency encoder potientiometer, I have the impression that it does not follow correctly.
If I am on the step of 50htz for example, by turning the encoder it can jump from 100Htz and more instead of 50. It does the same thing on your µBitx. I had other encoders, I change it, it’s the same.
Everything is well wired and the signals are good at the oscillo.
An idea?

2)another very strange phenomenon!!
When I go into the LCD option for intensity. I have to always be 100%. If I touch the setting, a sound (low frequency ) is heard and it varies in frequency linearly if we go from 99 to 0%.!!!!!!!

3)
When I use Spectrum analyser, there is always a 7.5 khz frequency that comes from the µBitx. It never changes any settings.

4) For your information, here the list of options that i have with the yellow menu:
band select,Select VFO B,Select Mode, RIT on?,IF shift on?,ATT on?,CW: 12WPM change?,Split on?,VFO to channel?,Channel to VFO?,Memory Keyer,WSPR Beacon,SDR mode on?,Setup OFF?,Exit Menu, Set Calibration?,Set the BFO,Set CW RX BFO,Change CW Tone,CW TX->RX Delay,CW Start Delay,Change Key Type?,TX OFF,Exit menu.
I think it’s complete, here the encoder seems to display all the options. Thank you for confirming me.

Another thing, I saw that you align your µbitx with WWC radio. I don’t think I have a transmitter of this type in France. How to do it then.
Last point, I checked everything on my PCB, welding, short circuit possible, value of components. Nothing abnormal.
He saved a lot of work.
Thank's for your help.
Cdt

Gerard

Evan,

You have to believe in fact that my screen Nextion work well
there is a defect seen before
look here

With seach fonction, i find that:for the pb of brightness of the Nextion.
see here: https://groups.io/g/BITX20/topic/29553962#64393
https://groups.io/g/BITX20/topic/71102272#75847

you answered in a post:

On my v4 ubitx, setting the screen brightness to 100% reduced the 300 hz noise from the Nextion display.  That setting was included in the CEC Nextion software, not sure in your implementation.  The LCD brightness setting is a call in the Nextion screen editor software.  Do need to put a control in the implementation to set it.  You can reference the CEC HMI files to see how.

Is there a solution? What to do?
cdt

Evan Hand

Gerard,
There is an issue with the Nextion screen backlight.  It is common on most if not all of them.  The issue is that the pulse width modulation used to dime the screen causes noise that gets back into the uBITX.  I just run at full brightness.  Others have done other things like install a 100ohm resistor and bypass capacitors in the power line to the Nextion or even using a separate 5volt regulator and capacitors for the Nextion.

As I said at the beginning of this post, it is common and not viewed as a failure of the screen.  Filtering of the supply voltage or a separate supply are the only two solutions That I know of at this time.

73
Evan
AC9TU

Gerard

Evan,

I need to take a closer look at this. Indeed as can be seen on picture , I had planned a 5v regulator to for the screen (With self and capacitors). My self may not be strong enough and the capacitors may need to be modified? I will do some research. I will also add a radiator because it heats up.
cdt

Gerard

Hello,

Nextion noise suppression choke:

I find this answer on https://ubitx.net/category/nextion-display/
Talmadge Huckabee suggests that a good source for a Nextion noise reducer choke (2.5mh) is to get a toroid (FT114_43) from kitsandparts.com and wind 70 turns of #22 wire on it. This has about 1 ohm of resistance so it will not have much voltage drop (and will not dim the brightness of the Nextion display).
Has anyone tested this solution? I can’t do it right now because no ferritte FT114_43 at home

cdt

Evan Hand

Gerard,
Here is a link to KD8CEC's blog on how to dim the LCD backlight.  It is at the end of the long blog.
http://www.hamskey.com/2018/06/nextion-tjc-character-lcd-current.html

He used a resistor(s) to limit the current and drop the voltage low enough to dim the display but not so low as the microcontroller stopped working.

73
Evan
AC9TU