Topics

Info for converting older BitX20 ver B to 10 meters #bitx20

Robert D. Bowers

I've got a project I'm working on - I've picked up a 10m-432 transverter.  Right now I have it hooked to my main radio, but I thought it would be great to have a dedicated 10m monobander for use with the unit, plus I'd have a direct 10m radio for when I wanted to work 10m qrp.

I remember years ago, there was information on the parts and so on to change over to 10.  I might also consider a raduino setup for VFO (it's using the original analog setup now, and I have part of the parts for the original digital unit, but don't have them all), but that's only a maybe.  The VFO settles after a good warmup and doesn't seem to drift much after that.  I don't mind an old analog VFO, and might even work on improving that (thermal control, etc.).

Can anyone direct me to that information for the BitX20 B to 10m conversion?  I did some searching, but it seems to be a bit too long ago.  I'd love to get that radio on the air, on what was (back many years ago) my favorite band (Australia and NZ on 1 watt). 

Thanks!

Bob
N4FBZ

Robert D. Bowers

I did more searching today.  It seems that people have done this conversion, but again, NO DATA AVAILABLE (such as the proper cans for filtering and so on).  My main radio is unreliable transmitting at low power levels (I'm working on a cure for that) and it caused real problems for the RF sense part of my transverter - .  Having a dedicated 10w 10m radio (even 5w pep) would be the ideal situation - plus I'd be able to use the old radio for regular HF (digital, maybe some voice) and have separate 10m - 2m - 432 capability!

NOTE:  Please don't tell me to go read or learn.  I build stuff and do ham radio FOR RELAXATION, NOT "LEARNING".  My job entails reading highly technical reports, in a sense I'm reading around two highly technical books (in text length) a day (and pulling metadata out of the reports).  I'm also a doctoral candidate, specializing in using the so-called 'hard sciences' to discover cultural patterns in archaeological contexts - working with portable X-ray Fluorescence and optical spectroscopy (as well as precision GPS work, mapping, aerial photography analysis, and so on).  I SPEND MOST OF MY TIME "LEARNING", and like "doing" now and then - for relaxation.  Since I spend so much time doing pure research and study, please don't insult me with "gotta learn".  (I'm saying this because of past experiences on ham radio related message boards.)

If anyone has information (besides "research it yourself" or "buy new" - the usual insults), please let me know.  I really would like to put that old BitX20 on the air - on 10m!

Bob Fischer, Fischer Technical Services

Ouch!
Sounds like some of the smart people also have thin skins.
Please don't insult them by asking THEM to learn anything more than they already know.  It seems some of them demand to be spoon-fed easy answers to sometimes complex questions.
If you happen to be one of these intellectuals, I suggest you just tell the group your IQ and request "Easy Answers Only" at the beginning of your QUESTION.
I suspect that will greatly reduce the insults.

To: BITX20@groups.io
Sent: Saturday, March 28, 2020 12:27:29 PM
Subject: Re: [BITX20] Info for converting older BitX20 ver B to 10 meters #bitx20

I did more searching today.  It seems that people have done this conversion, but again, NO DATA AVAILABLE (such as the proper cans for filtering and so on).  My main radio is unreliable transmitting at low power levels (I'm working on a cure for that) and it caused real problems for the RF sense part of my transverter - .  Having a dedicated 10w 10m radio (even 5w pep) would be the ideal situation - plus I'd be able to use the old radio for regular HF (digital, maybe some voice) and have separate 10m - 2m - 432 capability!

NOTE:  Please don't tell me to go read or learn.  I build stuff and do ham radio FOR RELAXATION, NOT "LEARNING".  My job entails reading highly technical reports, in a sense I'm reading around two highly technical books (in text length) a day (and pulling metadata out of the reports).  I'm also a doctoral candidate, specializing in using the so-called 'hard sciences' to discover cultural patterns in archaeological contexts - working with portable X-ray Fluorescence and optical spectroscopy (as well as precision GPS work, mapping, aerial photography analysis, and so on).  I SPEND MOST OF MY TIME "LEARNING", and like "doing" now and then - for relaxation.  Since I spend so much time doing pure research and study, please don't insult me with "gotta learn".  (I'm saying this because of past experiences on ham radio related message boards.)

If anyone has information (besides "research it yourself" or "buy new" - the usual insults), please let me know.  I really would like to put that old BitX20 on the air - on 10m!

MVS Sarma

Coverting bitx3b for example, should not be difficult. They use lc bfo and crystal bfo. Whrete they used dds vfo, it is easier. Now let us comebto the front end bpf. Itvhas to be re-designed  for the 10m band there are calculators on internet which give the component values.
 I surely feel  it is not impossible task. 
That said  , the 10m propagation might not  bevthat condisive for dx working. 

I shall try to pit up a bpf  or two as designed by experts like ei1gq etc. And in 6 band opensource brazil design.

All the best.

We meed to take more care regarding covid-19
Regards
Sarma vu3zmv

On Sat, 28 Mar 2020, 10:43 pm Bob Fischer, Fischer Technical Services, <FischerTek@...> wrote:

Ouch!
Sounds like some of the smart people also have thin skins.
Please don't insult them by asking THEM to learn anything more than they already know.  It seems some of them demand to be spoon-fed easy answers to sometimes complex questions.
If you happen to be one of these intellectuals, I suggest you just tell the group your IQ and request "Easy Answers Only" at the beginning of your QUESTION.
I suspect that will greatly reduce the insults.

To: BITX20@groups.io
Sent: Saturday, March 28, 2020 12:27:29 PM
Subject: Re: [BITX20] Info for converting older BitX20 ver B to 10 meters #bitx20

Skip Davis

Robert sorry to see that negative post except I kind of saw it coming. Anyway the architecture of the BITX20 and the uBITX are very similar so replacing the filter elements for 20 meters with the 10 meter one of the uBITX should work. Now the other question I have is your BITX20 using the Radrino or the on board VFO? If your using the Radrino you can go into the setup and set the band for 10 meters I believe it is already part of the firmware. I have a BITX40 here except it is stored away, I might have to dig it out to check this feature out. 

Skip Davis, NC9O

On Mar 28, 2020, at 12:27, Robert D. Bowers <n4fbz@...> wrote:

Robert D. Bowers

It's the Version 3b with vfo.  I've got most of the parts for the Digital VFO unit for it as well, but missed some (I purchased the kit unfinished at a hamfest and put it together - discovered parts were missing) and so it's just the old stock analog unit.  Drifts for a while, but settles right down. 

I'm not sure how much a Raduino would cost, but that's a possibility if it's cheap enough (VERY limited budget here).  I don't need anything fancy at all - I'm good at hacking code, but a bit rusty on programming.  I get something I can hack into, usually I'm chopping out a lot of bells and whistles and cleaning things up after. 

Good to know about the cans being the same - I can look them up.  I'll take a look at the info on the uBitx architecture too.  (I just hope that if I have to change the crystal filter, I've got some that will work!)  I do have a couple of good SSB filters scrapped out of a couple of defunct radios (SSB cb's and old rig I was given that had been given a coke-type treatment).  Maybe one of those would work too... if needed.

Yeah... dealing with the 'You gotta learn" or "Buy a new rig!" can be a real headaches sometimes.  People do make assumptions based on their own lives - and assumptions do turn into prejudices or "You've got to do things MY way!"  Elmering and helping others requires that you be aware of those assumptions - and try to avoid them (that's an aspect of listening - a necessary part of teaching and helping).  There are a lot of people who assume that you want basic information that's already available (if it exists), that you're just being lazy.

kc0wox Leeper

If you just want to try it out, bypass the bandpass filter and change the vfo to get the frequency coverage desired. take a look at this. http://golddredgervideo.com/kc0wox/bitxsmd/smdbitx.htm The web page has some tests with a network analyzer and the video shows some actual on the air test.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adrOVqAr9tY
It's using a HP generator as the vfo and a IFR as a signal source on other bands. At the beginning of the video the received signal is off of a dipole on 20 meters. The board was designed without a vfo or a bandpass filter which alloys it to be used on any frequency by supplying the vfo and an external bandpass filter for the desired frequency.

This isn't a how-to-do for you application but it shows basically what you want to do.

Wayne Leake

My thought is to buy a bare board BITX20 and building it for 10 and 12 meters. I might even try for 6 meters.
 Not that I need another 6 meter rig.
 I have my 706 MK II G as well as the 25 watt version of the Ranger. So well set for 6, and even 2 and 70cm ssb and CW.
 I'm 81 and still learning.
  One should still learn when older.
 Wayne WA2YNE

On Sat, Mar 28, 2020, 5:43 PM kc0wox Leeper <kc0wox@...> wrote:
If you just want to try it out, bypass the bandpass filter and change the vfo to get the frequency coverage desired. take a look at this. http://golddredgervideo.com/kc0wox/bitxsmd/smdbitx.htm The web page has some tests with a network analyzer and the video shows some actual on the air test.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adrOVqAr9tY
It's using a HP generator as the vfo and a IFR as a signal source on other bands. At the beginning of the video the received signal is off of a dipole on 20 meters. The board was designed without a vfo or a bandpass filter which alloys it to be used on any frequency by supplying the vfo and an external bandpass filter for the desired frequency.

This isn't a how-to-do for you application but it shows basically what you want to do.

Robert D. Bowers

Wayne, IMO, life itself should be a continuous learning experience (and that's what we emphasize - or did, in universities).  My problem comes in when people try to impose their priorities over my own (a very long problem - and only in the last few years do I allow my rage and anger show when people try to pull that cr*p - and I try to nip it in the bud before they even get started these days).  I have friends who are in their 80s and 90s who I hope to emulate - still working part-time (a couple even full-time), while learning new things every day.  I envy them - they actually were able to get started when they were still in their 20s and 30s.  I'm trying to get my life started - in my 60s.  Why is a long story - but I've learned that the people most touted as the 'good people' weren't and aren't - and those I was taught were 'deh EBIL!' (academics fell into that category) were the ones who actually really cared and listened.  I listened to (and worse, allowed them to coerce me) the wrong people.  Those days are over and GONE (I just hope my life isn't).

On radios... The 706 Mk II G was my dream radio since I first learned about it (when it first came out, in fact) - but I understand it's now considered obsolete and no longer being made (like every other dream radio I've wished I could afford).  Before that, there was the 735 and a separate vhf-uhf multi-mode (I forget the make and model - I think Icom too).  Before that, the Kenwood TS-520 family (eventually with transverters, remote VFO, and digital readout).  Before that - anything that would get me on HF ssb.  I first got my ticket and worked HF using my landlord's Yaesu FT-101EE (which was new at the time).  That was nice.

I'm trying to work within my budget - and every expense I incur makes life a bit harder for us.  I'm willing to do without on a lot of things people take for granted - as long as the benefits I get from the other expense (let's say from Ham Radio) outweigh the doing without.  Thus - converting a Bitx20 I own into a Bitx10.  (Maybe improve things a little with a basic Raduino, if I can find one and it's cheap enough!)

If I could find the information for building a BitX10 on a 3b board, it would make life a lot easier (I looked, but found nothing about that either).  Right now my BitX is sitting in storage, and will remain there until I can get my hands on the info I need to convert it.  (I'm taking precious time away from my own work and necessary projects to even reply right now...)

Wayne Leake

A bare board for a BITX40 or BITX20 can be used for other bands readily enough. The major changes are the bandpass filters, and maybe the if coils, where used. Depends on the IF crystal filter frequency you opt for.
 I plan to buy another bare board for the next BITX I build. I want to experiment with an adjustable xtal filter, or maybe just build one with steeper skirts.
 10 and 12 meters can use the same low pass filter, and not have a problem.
 I would like to get hold of a couple of junk SSB CB's for parts.
 It is possible to use an xtal filter from one for a BITX. They used several different IF frequencies.
 9 Mhz was one that was used.
 I don't think the mechanical 455 kHz filters are that good.
 I have learned a lot more about basic SSB since I got interested in the BITX radios than I used to.
 BTW, some have missed BITX40's to work on 75 meters. But they bypass bandpass filters at times, which can mean outputting and even inputting at unwanted frequencies.
 If I get to where I can make a modified schematic, I'll share it.
 We don't need to reinvent the horse, just modify it.
🆗

On Mon, Mar 30, 2020, 10:27 AM Robert D. Bowers <n4fbz@...> wrote:
Wayne, IMO, life itself should be a continuous learning experience (and that's what we emphasize - or did, in universities).  My problem comes in when people try to impose their priorities over my own (a very long problem - and only in the last few years do I allow my rage and anger show when people try to pull that cr*p - and I try to nip it in the bud before they even get started these days).  I have friends who are in their 80s and 90s who I hope to emulate - still working part-time (a couple even full-time), while learning new things every day.  I envy them - they actually were able to get started when they were still in their 20s and 30s.  I'm trying to get my life started - in my 60s.  Why is a long story - but I've learned that the people most touted as the 'good people' weren't and aren't - and those I was taught were 'deh EBIL!' (academics fell into that category) were the ones who actually really cared and listened.  I listened to (and worse, allowed them to coerce me) the wrong people.  Those days are over and GONE (I just hope my life isn't).

On radios... The 706 Mk II G was my dream radio since I first learned about it (when it first came out, in fact) - but I understand it's now considered obsolete and no longer being made (like every other dream radio I've wished I could afford).  Before that, there was the 735 and a separate vhf-uhf multi-mode (I forget the make and model - I think Icom too).  Before that, the Kenwood TS-520 family (eventually with transverters, remote VFO, and digital readout).  Before that - anything that would get me on HF ssb.  I first got my ticket and worked HF using my landlord's Yaesu FT-101EE (which was new at the time).  That was nice.

I'm trying to work within my budget - and every expense I incur makes life a bit harder for us.  I'm willing to do without on a lot of things people take for granted - as long as the benefits I get from the other expense (let's say from Ham Radio) outweigh the doing without.  Thus - converting a Bitx20 I own into a Bitx10.  (Maybe improve things a little with a basic Raduino, if I can find one and it's cheap enough!)

If I could find the information for building a BitX10 on a 3b board, it would make life a lot easier (I looked, but found nothing about that either).  Right now my BitX is sitting in storage, and will remain there until I can get my hands on the info I need to convert it.  (I'm taking precious time away from my own work and necessary projects to even reply right now...)

Dennis Beverage

Try this link.  I think it will take you to discussions about the 10 meter conversion you want to make.

--
Sodypop🤠
KJ6VGB

Robert D. Bowers

That link only goes back to the original message in this thread.