Topics

Info for converting older BitX20 ver B to 10 meters #bitx20

Robert D. Bowers

I've got a project I'm working on - I've picked up a 10m-432 transverter.  Right now I have it hooked to my main radio, but I thought it would be great to have a dedicated 10m monobander for use with the unit, plus I'd have a direct 10m radio for when I wanted to work 10m qrp.

I remember years ago, there was information on the parts and so on to change over to 10.  I might also consider a raduino setup for VFO (it's using the original analog setup now, and I have part of the parts for the original digital unit, but don't have them all), but that's only a maybe.  The VFO settles after a good warmup and doesn't seem to drift much after that.  I don't mind an old analog VFO, and might even work on improving that (thermal control, etc.).

Can anyone direct me to that information for the BitX20 B to 10m conversion?  I did some searching, but it seems to be a bit too long ago.  I'd love to get that radio on the air, on what was (back many years ago) my favorite band (Australia and NZ on 1 watt).

Thanks!

Bob
N4FBZ

Robert D. Bowers

I did more searching today.  It seems that people have done this conversion, but again, NO DATA AVAILABLE (such as the proper cans for filtering and so on).  My main radio is unreliable transmitting at low power levels (I'm working on a cure for that) and it caused real problems for the RF sense part of my transverter - .  Having a dedicated 10w 10m radio (even 5w pep) would be the ideal situation - plus I'd be able to use the old radio for regular HF (digital, maybe some voice) and have separate 10m - 2m - 432 capability!

NOTE:  Please don't tell me to go read or learn.  I build stuff and do ham radio FOR RELAXATION, NOT "LEARNING".  My job entails reading highly technical reports, in a sense I'm reading around two highly technical books (in text length) a day (and pulling metadata out of the reports).  I'm also a doctoral candidate, specializing in using the so-called 'hard sciences' to discover cultural patterns in archaeological contexts - working with portable X-ray Fluorescence and optical spectroscopy (as well as precision GPS work, mapping, aerial photography analysis, and so on).  I SPEND MOST OF MY TIME "LEARNING", and like "doing" now and then - for relaxation.  Since I spend so much time doing pure research and study, please don't insult me with "gotta learn".  (I'm saying this because of past experiences on ham radio related message boards.)

If anyone has information (besides "research it yourself" or "buy new" - the usual insults), please let me know.  I really would like to put that old BitX20 on the air - on 10m!

Bob Fischer, Fischer Technical Services

Ouch!
Sounds like some of the smart people also have thin skins.
Please don't insult them by asking THEM to learn anything more than they already know.  It seems some of them demand to be spoon-fed easy answers to sometimes complex questions.
If you happen to be one of these intellectuals, I suggest you just tell the group your IQ and request "Easy Answers Only" at the beginning of your QUESTION.
I suspect that will greatly reduce the insults.