Topics

IF shift needed for listening correctly V4 UBITX #bitx20help

andrea@...

Hi,
since the beginning I'm experiencing the fact that I nee to move the IF aroundf 1800 - 2000 (it varies a little thorugh the different band) for receiving the correct modulation.
I was thinking it was depending by a different firmware (I was using the nextion compatible fw) but after i decided to go back to the original implementation this issue remains the same.

What I can do?

Evan Hand

Andrea,
There are two possibilities:
1 - You loaded the wrong version of the KD8CEC software.  There is a version for the v5 and v6 ubitx (uBITXV5), and one for v2/v3/v4 (you want this one-uBITXV234).  This is due to the different SSB filter frequencies used in the later versions.
2 - The other possibility is that the ubitx needs to be calibrated.

By chance did you change the Nano to keep the original if needed to be restored?  The calibration data is specific to a ubitx mainboard/Raduino combination and stored in the EEPROM area of the Nano.  This area is not part of the "Sketch" or program part of the firmware that is downloaded.  It is kept in the Nano.  What this means is that any time that you change the Nano, you will need to recalibrate both the BFO and the frequency (called Calibration).

If you understand the differences, you can use the v6 calibration process.  Otherwise, the steps in general are:
1 - Tune in the BFO using the BFO Tuning aid, or an audio spectrum analyzer program to center the noise of a clear frequency between 300 and 3,000 Hz.  Press the PTT when done.
2 - Use a known AM station (WWV on 5 or 10 MHz is best) to "zero beat" the station's AM carrier.  This is done by first setting the dial to read the frequency of the station, then going into calibration mode, and adjusting for the zero beat.  The final step is to press the PTT, wait 15 seconds, and then reboot.

Here is Ashhar Farhan's BFO tuning for the v6:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6LGXhS4_O8
And the BFO Tuning Aid:
https://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/bfo-tuning-aid/

Note that the steps to get to the settings is the only real difference with the v4 vs the v6.  You will need to go into the "Yellow Box" mode (press in the encoder) of the CEC software to get to the calibration and BFO setting screens.  Once done, there is a Memory Manager program from KD8CEC that can be connected via the USB port and used to save all of the configuration data if you later need to reload software on the Nano.
https://github.com/phdlee/ubitx/releases/tag/v1.11

GitHub link to the KD8CEC v1.2 firmware:
https://github.com/phdlee/ubitx/releases/tag/v1.20
You want to use the uBITXV234 folder.

I hope this helps with your calibration issue.
73
Evan
AC9TU

andrea@...

the firmware version is correct.

I can think that it is mostly related to a missing calibration.
I overwrite the firmware directly on the original nano but as you wrote this shouldn't affect the data in the eeprom. I also used the KD8CEC software manager for donwloading the data. The calibration settings are acccessible from the software?
In any case I think i'll go for calibration procedure as soon

Thank you for the references.
Ciao
Andrea

Evan Hand

Yes, all of the calibrations are available in both the onboard software and the Memory Manager.  This does depend on which of the multiple Nextion screen files you have used for your upgrade.  In order to conserve memory, some of the versions removed the calibration graphic screen, and you need to use the yellow box.  The yellow box is on all versions as far as I know.

For the Memory Manager, you need to read and write the uBITX to get and then update after changes are made.  Remember that the Raduino needs to be completely powered down and restarted for some of the changes to be put into use.  This means the uBITX needs to be turned off, and the USB cable removed.  Another point on the Memory Manager is to always close the connection to the uBITX before you remove the USB cable, otherwise, you will need to close and reopen the Memory Manager to establish the connection.  I follow the convention of:
1 - reading the uBITX
2 - save the current config to a temp file
3 - make the changes
4 - write to the uBiTX
5 - completely power down the uBITX
6 - restart and test
7 - If all is good, go back to the Memory Manager, read the config, and then save it to a permanent file.

My personal experience with your symptoms was solved with the calibration process.

I hope this clarifies for you.
73
Evan
AC9TU

Rubens Kamimura

All,

Good Morning. Sorry for the placement in this topic, but, I have an uBITX v4, firmware v1.097, this with differences in transmission and reception frequencies, how do I fix this, can someone help me? Appreciate. 73's for Rubens PY2PVB GG49in07
--

Rubens Kamimura
Tel. +55(18) 3746-8680 ramal 116

Em dom., 21 de jun. de 2020 às 07:43, <andrea@...> escreveu:

Hi,
since the beginning I'm experiencing the fact that I nee to move the IF aroundf 1800 - 2000 (it varies a little thorugh the different band) for receiving the correct modulation.
I was thinking it was depending by a different firmware (I was using the nextion compatible fw) but after i decided to go back to the original implementation this issue remains the same.

What I can do?

Evan Hand

What mode, SSB or CW?  That makes a difference.  The advice I gave Andrea was for SSB.  I have not really used the CW mode for QSOs, so I do not have direct experience with the offsets of transmission vs reception.  There are settings in the Memory Manager to adjust the transmit offset to be the same as the sidetone selected. Again, I have not used it so cannot comment on how to do it, nor on its effectiveness.

73
Evan
AC9TU

laurent.bury@...

Hi,

yes I confirm/agree the effectiveness of the KD8CEC Memory Manager to select transmit offset according to sidetone frequency (drop me a message if you need more infos).

And I also had exactly the same problem (IF shift needed for listening correctly) when I received my V3 :
it was actually a BFO misalignment.

Laurent F5FIE.

rajesh huddar

Hi Evan,

Which memory manager version is this. May I request for the link. I have Ubitx ver3.

What should be the calibration value.

So also seek some inputs on eliminating audio distortion.

Thanks

Rajesh

On Thu, 25 Jun 2020, 15:45 Evan Hand, <elhandjr@...> wrote:
[...]

Rajesh,

The current KD8CEC Memory Manager version I believe is 1.11.  Here is the link to the GitHub repository:
https://github.com/phdlee/ubitx/releases/tag/v1.11

And Dr. Lee's webpage that explains what needs to be done for the "stock" software from HF Signals if you do not use the KD8CEC software. NOTE: you did not specify which version of the software (firmware as some state) that you are using.
http://www.hamskey.com/2018/01/ubitx-memory-manager-program.html

My suggestion is to upgrade to the KD8CEC software if you are going to change out what is currently on your uBITX.  There are added features, without losing any of the stock functionality.  Of course, adding the Nextion graphic display makes those features easier to use.
https://github.com/phdlee/ubitx/releases/tag/v1.20
Be sure to use the uBITXV234 files, as the uBITXV5 has a different SSB filter value (12.000 MHz vs 11.059 MHz)

The calibration settings will be different for each Raduino/uBITX combination, so you can use another as a starting point, but will need to do the calibration steps for your boards.

NOTE: With the HF Signals stock software, every time you go into calibration or BFO setting you start from a default value.  The old value is overwritten when you save the new value, and you cannot read the current value with the unmodified stock software.  Be sure to write down any changes and fully power down and restart the uBITX to test changes.

NOTE: You should do the calibration ONLY if there are problems with your uBITX.  You can get things out of adjustment and could have a difficult time getting back to the starting point.  That is one of the advantages of going to the KD8CEC software; you can save calibrations and easily restore to prior settings.  The same for upgrading the software; only do it if the features are something that you want, and that you are willing to learn how to do the upload process.

73
Evan
AC9TU

rajesh huddar

HI Evan,

Many thanks for the quick revert.

My call sign is VU3RHU and my  QTH is Mumbai - 400004.

I am using the ver 3 stock software which I got with the unit in December.

I have downloaded the 1.11 manager last week, but does not read the ver 3 raduino which I have.

So also I had my first QSO today on 14.203. But the OM with told me that the frequency he was tuned at was 14.205. So I have a shift of -ve 2khz on my set. The same aspect I noticed when I joined the 40m net on 7.150. I could only hear them on 7.148.

So if could only manage to key in the calibration value somehow then I am sorted.

When I was tinkering with the CEC firmware last week and trying to load the firmware into a new raduinoI, I tried to save the values through the manager , but noticed that the file gets automatically converted to a PDF extension.
Is this correct or there is some bug somewhere.

If I may also request you to comment upon the distorted audio issue and a way to handle it.

I will eventually upgrade to the Nextion Set, but until then would like to make a few QSOs and learn the craft. Wish to tune my EF long wire antenna as well.

Thanks and Regards

Rajesh

On Sun, 28 Jun 2020, 19:13 Evan Hand, <elhandjr@...> wrote:
[...]

This is the version I am using

[...]

I am not familiar with the larc version software.  I am pretty sure that it will not work with the KD8CEC Memory Manager, though it does appear to have a CAT routine.  A quick look at the code also suggests that the menu functions are the same, so the standard v3 or v4 process should work.

1 - Set the BFO first to be able to receive an AM signal.
2 - Calibrate the frequency displayed
3 - Reset the BFO

Setting the BFO and the Calibration should be a menu item that comes up after you turn on the settings option in the menu system.  For each of the 3 calibration steps, you will need to perform the following:
a - Press the encoder button to enter the menu
b - Rotate the encoder to get to the settings selection
c - Press the encoder. The screen will go back to the frequency display.
d - Press the encoder again to enter the expanded menu selections
e - Select either the BFO or Calibration option depending on which step in the process you are on.
f - Perform the process
g - Press the PTT to save the value
h - Wait 15 seconds for the data to be written to the EEPROM
i - Turn off the rig and then turn it back on to test the new setting.

For the BFO setting, I use the BFO Tuning Aid from Ashhar Farhan:
https://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/bfo-tuning-aid/
The steps are explained in the video for the v6, just remember that the controls are different, The steps, how to use the tools, and results should be the same:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6LGXhS4_O8

The way that I would approach getting the rig updated would be to first get it working as it is, doing the calibrations and verifying that all is working.  I would then go to the KD8CEC firmware (software) using the same Nano, as that is where the calibrations are stored.  If you want to save the current Nano as is, then you will need to redo the calibration steps on the new Nano to get it aligned correctly.  The last thing would be to upgrade the display.

I hope the above is clear enough to get you going in the correct direction.
73
Evan
AC9TU

rajesh huddar

Thanks Evan for the quick response.
I will try. Shall keep you posted.

Regards

Rajesh

On Mon, 29 Jun 2020, 01:27 Evan Hand, <elhandjr@...> wrote:
[...]

I have ver3. I get garbled audio even after aligning the BFO. There is also a -ve frequency offset of 2khz. Any inputs as to how I could correct it.

Thanks in advance

Rajesh
VU3RHU