Topics

I think I damaged my display.uBitx V3

bradkirk@...

I removed my VFO to add a washer behind it but in doing so the black wire/tab was bent over the next tab which is ground. Without noticing this I turned the radio on. The BG lighted up and the radio sounds normal and tunes but there is no digital display on the screen. Any ideas as to what I've damaged?

Vince Vielhaber

The black on the raduino? Next to the black on mine is the brown which goes to the rotary encoder and on the raduino side, both are inputs to the nano, so nothing should have happened.

If you're talking about the black to the V3 board, I don't have that handy to look at. Sorry.

Vince.

On 01/18/2021 10:55 PM, bradkirk@comcast.net wrote:
I removed my VFO to add a washer behind it but in doing so the black
wire/tab was bent over the next tab which is ground. Without noticing
this I turned the radio on. The BG lighted up and the radio sounds
normal and tunes but there is no digital display on the screen. Any
ideas as to what I've damaged?

I think a photo of where the short occurred will help.. not the display.

Raj

At 19/01/2021, you wrote:
I removed my VFO to add a washer behind it but in doing so the black wire/tab was bent over the next tab which is ground. Without noticing this I turned the radio on. The BG lighted up and the radio sounds normal and tunes but there is no digital display on the screen. Any ideas as to what I've damaged?

It is also likely that the washer has shorted some line on the display.

Raj

--
K8ZW http://www.metalworkingfun.com http://www.hamradio.fun

bradkirk@...

To be more specific, it's the tuner encoder where it has the three connectors on one side. The center is ground, one side is black wire and the other side is a brown wire. In moving the tuner encoder out of it's mounting hole and putting it back in with the washer the black wire was evidently pulled across the ground connector next to it. That's what I noticed and fixed when the display lit up but there was nothing as far as numbers on the display. fixed that but still nothing on the display.

That cant cause any damage. If you unplugged the display then you could have inserted it back
with a pin bent?

Display are easily & cheaply available. Buy a new one, I particularly like black on white than the original green!

Raj

At 19/01/2021, you wrote:
To be more specific, it's the tuner encoder where it has the three connectors on one side. The center is ground, one side is black wire and the other side is a brown wire. In moving the tuner encoder out of it's mounting hole and putting it back in with the washer the black wire was evidently pulled across the ground connector next to it. That's what I noticed and fixed when the display lit up but there was nothing as far as numbers on the display. fixed that but still nothing on the display.

bradkirk@...

Thanks, do you know where I could buy a display or arduino? I've looked but I can't see a source.

Jerry Gaffke

For a clone Nano, do a web search for "nano ch340"
You don't want the headers soldered in place because they would be soldered on the wrong side for plugging into a Raduino.
Examples:
    https://www.amazon.com/ELEGOO-Arduino-ATmega328P-Without-Compatible/dp/B0713XK923
    https://www.banggood.com/Geekcreit-ATmega328P-Nano-V3-Controller-Board-Improved-Version-Module-Development-Board-p-940937.html

For the display, search for "1602 lcd", or maybe "1602 lcd HD44780"
You want the parallel interface for the v3 uBitx, not one with the i2c backpack.
Though if using it on other projects, the i2c backpack version is easier to wire up to the nano.
Examples of parallel interface:
    https://www.amazon.com/HiLetgo-Display-Backlight-Controller-Character/dp/B00HJ6AFW6
    https://www.banggood.com/2Pcs-1602-Character-LCD-Display-Module-Blue-Backlight-p-1370817.html
    https://www.taydaelectronics.com/lcd-display-16-x-2-blue-character-with-backlight.html

Ordering from China through Banggood can take a month, but usually cheaper than a distributor here in the US.
Tayda is cheap and has a warehouse in the US.  Some Banggood items are stocked in the US.

Maybe get two or three of each, they are fun to play with and you can make them do other useful stuff.
Having a couple Nano's allows you to program new code while leaving the one with the old code on the shelf..

Jerry

On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 11:18 AM, <bradkirk@...> wrote:
Thanks, do you know where I could buy a display or arduino? I've looked but I can't see a source.

I bought some from Amazon.in

At 20/01/2021, you wrote:
Thanks, do you know where I could buy a display or arduino? I've looked but I can't see a source.

bradkirk@...

Thanks for all the info!

bradkirk@...

Thank you!

Ashhar Farhan

Does the radio tune around? If yes, the Nano is fine.
Did you, by mistake, fiddle with the contrast pot? Just try turning that up and down. The display is a standrd 16x2 LCD display. Ebay is full of them

On Thu 21 Jan, 2021, 10:30 AM , <bradkirk@...> wrote:
Thank you!