Topics

How install Sotabeams Variable Bandwidth Filter inside uBITX V. 5 #bitx20 #filters #v5

Al Mesa
 

I am looking for your advice on will be the most convenient way to install the Sotabeams Variable Bandwidth Filter inside my uBITX version 5.I have seen here some ways to do it, but really, I am not clear about what I must do.
Also, my idea is to use a separate POT to control the filter.

Thank you for your advice or any assistance with this matter

Al
W4RAM

Curt
 

Al

Here I placed a nescaf inside my v5. The audio chain needs to end with a strong audio amp. Insure that a dc blocking cap is between biased stages. Does that audio filter include an audio amplifier at the end? I spliced mine between the wires feeding the speaker and headphone jack. Draw a picture to see how everything needs to fit.

Curt wb8yyy

Al Mesa
 

Curt,

Thank you for reply, please see attached the filter diagram.
My idea is to seat the filter on the PCB, and run the necessary cables; I think I have enough room inside the uBITX case to install the PCB/Filter. (Please see picture attached)


Al
W4RAM

MadRadioModder
 

These work well bit are a bit expensive.  There is a guy on github that took some code i wrote for the same chip and added a very nice graphic interface with a small display to make it Look and operate just like the elecraft K3. 


MRM

 


On May 30, 2020, at 8:43 AM, Al Mesa <hkradiogadget@...> wrote:

Curt,

Thank you for reply, please see attached the filter diagram.
My idea is to seat the filter on the PCB, and run the necessary cables; I think I have enough room inside the uBITX case to install the PCB/Filter. (Please see picture attached)
<IMG_20200530_142926.jpg>


Al
W4RAM
<LASERBEAM-VARI.jpg>

--

…_. _._

R. Tyson
 

Hi Al,

I did this fairly recently and must say the Sota Beams filter is very good. It turns the uBitX into a very good cw rig.

I have included a drawing I did for someone else - J1 is the yellow wire coming from the board to the input of the volume control pot. J2 is the output (if I remember correctly) back to the board and then to the earphone socket.

My wiring allows the filter to be switched out completely, or just the wide cw filter to be switched in. Switching in the narrowest CW filter is done by means of a separate switch which (if I remember correctly) takes a separate lead from the filter board itself and puts it to ground.....   I haven't shown the separate switch as its very simple and there is no need to include it on the drawing. The setup works very well. I don't know why you would want a separate pot. for the filter as my method allows the volume control to work as per normal.

There is a ground connection to the volume control pot. but for simplicity it isn't shown.

My uBitX is a version 5 type and I haven't looked at the latest version. The diagram should give you an idea though.

Reg            G4NFR

Al Mesa
 

Right, I am exploring that option as well, after setting up the filter inside the uBITX, that will be the next step, thank you

Al,
W4RAM

Al Mesa
 

Tyson,
Thank you for sharing this info; I will follow your method; The idea to include a separate POT was because the POT come with the kit, and I didn't know about a different option to replace it. I will start the installation today. again thank you.

Al
W4RAM

Dennis Zabawa
 

If you are talking about the Vari-Beam filter, the 'Pot' is actually a rotary encoder.  If you are not using a display for the settings, you will need to install the CF and BW LEDs also.  The sketch referred to on the SOTABEAMS page will provide the interface to an OLED display.  

barry halterman
 

There are three LEDs installed for that filter, Green, yellow and red, to let you know what mode you are in. Either bandwidth (green led) or center frequency ( yellow led). Selecting which mode you are in is done by pushing in the encoder. The red led is over drive warning when the input signal is too high, over 1.5 volts p-p.
These filters are easy to install and the unused header on the front of the main ubitx board is an excellent place to pull the input from, as well as grounding for the filter. Five volts for the board is taken off the 7805 regulator.
One comment on these variable filters. Not knowing where your center and bandwidth are set is somewhat of a pain. The extra nano and display, in my opinion, would be the way to go. I have yet to incorporate that.
Barry
K3bo

On Sat, May 30, 2020, 4:17 PM Dennis Zabawa <kg4rul@...> wrote:
If you are talking about the Vari-Beam filter, the 'Pot' is actually a rotary encoder.  If you are not using a display for the settings, you will need to install the CF and BW LEDs also.  The sketch referred to on the SOTABEAMS page will provide the interface to an OLED display.  

barry halterman
 

Sorry, I thought this was about a v6 ubitx.



On Sat, May 30, 2020, 7:24 PM barry halterman via groups.io <kthreebo=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
There are three LEDs installed for that filter, Green, yellow and red, to let you know what mode you are in. Either bandwidth (green led) or center frequency ( yellow led). Selecting which mode you are in is done by pushing in the encoder. The red led is over drive warning when the input signal is too high, over 1.5 volts p-p.
These filters are easy to install and the unused header on the front of the main ubitx board is an excellent place to pull the input from, as well as grounding for the filter. Five volts for the board is taken off the 7805 regulator.
One comment on these variable filters. Not knowing where your center and bandwidth are set is somewhat of a pain. The extra nano and display, in my opinion, would be the way to go. I have yet to incorporate that.
Barry
K3bo

On Sat, May 30, 2020, 4:17 PM Dennis Zabawa <kg4rul@...> wrote:
If you are talking about the Vari-Beam filter, the 'Pot' is actually a rotary encoder.  If you are not using a display for the settings, you will need to install the CF and BW LEDs also.  The sketch referred to on the SOTABEAMS page will provide the interface to an OLED display.  

R. Tyson
 

Hi,

Having seen your later message I now see you have the variable bandwidth filter.
That should be very good, my filter is the one with 2 filters for CW - a less complicated filter.

Judging by the performance of my simpler filter, which can pick out a single weak CW signal from all the noise and louder stations, then yours should give an excellent performance.

Good luck,

Reg            G4NFR