Topics

Help with Nextion CEC Firmware

M0ZHN

Hi All,

Been trying to get the Nextion CEC firmware going. I wanted to make some changes to the Arduino code (it was written for the 12MHz IF filter) and adapt it to the new 11.059MHz IF but when I try to compile the sketch in the Ardiuno IDE (using 1.8.13) I get an error saying that the sketch is too large. If I compile it for Arduino Uno Board then it is fine but can't upload it to the Nano.

Here is the error message:
"
Sketch uses 31118 bytes (101%) of program storage space. Maximum is 30720 bytes.
text section exceeds available space in board Global variables use 1433 bytes (69%) of dynamic memory, leaving 615 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.

Sketch too big; see http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#size for tips on reducing it.
Error compiling for board Arduino Nano.
"
Anyone had a similar issue and found a solution? Perhaps I am using the wrong IDE version?

Any help appreciated,
73 Elia, M0ZHN

Gary Anderson

Elia,
Try Arduino IDE 1.8.9.  (less library bloat)
(you can also update the bootloader and modify fuse setttings. e.g. why it fits in the Uno board.  But that path is a little more complicated.)

https://groups.io/g/BITX20/message/85002

Rgds,
Gary

M0ZHN

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the prompt reply, I tried your suggestion and it worked like a charm :D

Makes you wonder how much bloatware exists in the libraries...

Kind Regards,
Elia

Evan Hand

Elia,

Here is a link to the latest version of the KD8CEC
https://github.com/phdlee/ubitx/releases/tag/v1.20

There are both compiled code as well as the source.

In the source there are #define switches in the header file.  I am not at my computer and cannot look up the file name.

73
Evan
AC9TU

Bruce Morrell

Please post your fix so we can all use it. I installed cec firmware and was not aware of this ....Bruce

On Tue, Mar 2, 2021, 10:58 AM M0ZHN via groups.io <eliamady=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Gary,

Thanks for the prompt reply, I tried your suggestion and it worked like a charm :D

Makes you wonder how much bloatware exists in the libraries...

Kind Regards,
Elia

Evan Hand

I should have stated that there are both v4 and earlier and v5 and later compiled hex files versions.  These are easiest to load with the Xloader program.  The zip file has the compiled versions in to sub folders, one for the v4 and one for the v5.

https://github.com/phdlee/ubitx/releases/tag/v1.20

73
Evan
AC9TU

M0ZHN

Hi Bruce,

The fix is simple, I used the Arduino IDE version 1.8.7 as Gary suggested. That made the sketch compile without any errors. I downloaded it from this link: Arduino IDE
With this IDE I was able to make changes and compile the code, give it a go. The actual sketch for the Nextion display is on K8DCEC's website as pointed by Evan Hand.

Evan, thanks for your reply, yes I have seen the pre-compiled versions but as far as I know or seen they are only for the ubitx V1,2,3,4&5 which had a 12MHz IF filter, not the v6 which is 11.059MHz so the Si5351 frequencies need adjusting. This is why I needed to recompile the sketch in order to put new Clock0, 1 & 2 frequencies that would account for the 11.059MHz IF. I wonder if I just missed the v6 compiled version, I will have another look, thanks.

73 Elia, M0ZHN

Evan Hand

Elia,
The v5 ubitx also has the 11.059MHz SSB filter. That was one of the changes from the v4.

Here is a link to a v6 conversion on ubitx.net:
http://ubitx.net/2020/01/06/a-v6-nextion-display-conversion/

There have been quit a few posts on the groups.io board that have done the conversion.

The most difficult part for me has been finding the Nextion file that matches the display in both size and version for some of the sizes.  Otherwise a fairly straight forward upgrade.

The v6/has not been addressed by Dr. Lee so there is not an official release for it. This may be driven by the need to change the display as the v6 stock display is not compatible.

I am working on a friend’s v6 with the CEC mods.  It works very well.

73
Evan
AC9TU