Topics

Help on Microphone

thomas.adair

I bought a Btec microphone that has 2 jacks. How can I use this with the uBitx v6?

Ashhar Farhan

Check the pinout on hfsignals.com. the tip is audio, the ring is ptt and the shield is ground.
We followed this so that regular audio cables can be directly used between a pc and the speaker/mic of ubitx.
About the mic, we know that the mic supplied with ubitx is not the best.  We were originally providing and electretic and builders had to solder up their own mic and ptt. Many found it challenging. We found that the baofeng mics were quiet inexpensive and decided to bundle them to get something to start with.
I just checked, an elecraft mic costs 60 dollars with shipping. You could have bought a whole bitx40 with that (if it were in sale). The included mic is reasonably good. That said, the mic do not make much of a difference. Most od the distortion is caused in the PA circuits and the passband, highs and lows are determined by crystal filter. Possibly, in a low distortion transmitter like the microT2 this would make a difference, not for regular, crystal filter or SDR radios.
- f

On Thu 2 Jul, 2020, 9:22 PM thomas.adair, <thomas.adair@...> wrote:
I bought a Btec microphone that has 2 jacks. How can I use this with the uBitx v6?

Curt

Thomas

I used a microphone with a similar connector. I was able to ID the pinout, so I cut the cord and carefully matched wire color to the pins, and soldered to a new connector matching my ubitx case. Alternatively, if you possess those jacks you could wire up an adapter box as I do for one of rigs to use a pc headset with it.

With that many available connections, maybe you have a speaker mike? If you can figure out which are for speaker, that just leaves audio, ptt and common to find.

Curt

thomas.adair

Thank you Curt.