Topics

Help #arduino

co8pap@...

I am han radio from cuba. I build the Ubitx and working fine. The questions is
I can use GLCD 32160 to put un my Ubitx

Curt

Senior OM

fine news on your successful build.  I think you refer to a larger LCD display?  there are 2 custom versions of uBITX software but I think they only work with color displays - others can correct me if I am wrong.  even if that display can connect to ubitx, the firmware will not likely support it.

I use the simple 2 line LCD and it works nice enough.

enjoy your ubitx and I hope to QSO

Curt WB8YYY

Evan Hand

The short answer is yes, if you add the screen features you want to the Arduino firmware.  I am not aware of any such firmware available.  There is also a shortage of I/O in the stock Raduino.

I would suggest that you first look at the Nextion display work that can be found here: http://www.hamskey.com/.

Dr. Lee has written software and screen designs to work with the Nano that came with the uBitx.  With all the added features, there is very little room for more modifications in the Nano code.  You do need to purchase a Nextion display with touch screen capability. https://nextion.tech/  Be sure to verify the screen size and the enhanced version with touch capabilities to work with the KD8CEC software.  I used both the 2.4 and 3.2 inch enhanced versions.  Available from multiple vendors.

There is the also JackAl add on board that did change the processor to one with more memory and speed.  That is available here: https://qrpguys.com/jackal-for-%CE%BCbitx  This has higher capabilities, at a higher price.  Be sure to note that the listed price for the board does not include every thing that you need to make it work.

You can go the route of converting the Nano code to a larger/more powerful processor like the Teensy on the JackAL board or other newer Arduino based system.  Regardless, that will be a significant effort.  Would be curious to see any results that you come up with.

73
Evan
AC9TU

Jack Purdum

Hi Evan:

As many of you probably already know, PJRS, the makers of the Teensy family, just added the Teensy 4.0 and it is a beast! Some features include:

– ARM Cortex-M7 at 600 MHz
1024K RAM (512K is tightly coupled)
2048K Flash (64K reserved for recovery & EEPROM emulation)
– 2 USB ports, both 480 MBit/sec
– 3 CAN Bus (1 with CAN FD)
– 2 I2S Digital Audio
– 1 S/PDIF Digital Audio
– 1 SDIO (4 bit) native SD
– 3 SPI, all with 16 word FIFO
– 3 I2C, all with 4 byte FIFO
– 7 Serial, all with 4 byte FIFO
– 32 general purpose DMA channels
– 31 PWM pins
– 40 digital pins, all interrrupt capable
– 14 analog pins, 2 ADCs on chip
–  RTC

plus more. Paul was very careful when he selected his Beta testers for it, and most were frequent contributors to his Forum and the authors of major libraries. They been beating on it for almost a year, so I think the core should be pretty stable. The footprint is actually smaller than the 3.6 and the cost is, too...$19.95. It's overkill for many projects, but the depth of that resource pool opens a whole new world in many arenas!

Jack, W8TEE

On Sunday, August 18, 2019, 11:20:55 PM EDT, Evan Hand <elhandjr@...> wrote:

[...]

So far I don't think anyone has written code for that display.

You can use lots of different displays but you will have write your code/sketch.

Raj

At 19-08-19, you wrote:
>I am han radio from cuba. I build the Ubitx and working fine. The questions is
>I can use GLCD 32160 to put un my Ubitx

Ashhar Farhan

It is a pity that the teensy forums are blocked from indian ip addresses. Paul is quite unresponsive on emails too. I had written a few times to him for help with in getting teensy into one of our space missions. I needed to know if the components used were space worthy. I was really keen.No replies ensued.
After that, we just went ahead and scratch built an ATMEGA328P based system.

At 19-08-19, you wrote:
>I am han radio from cuba. I build the Ubitx and working fine. The questions is
>I can use GLCD 32160 to put un my Ubitx

Jack Purdum

I've written to Paul privately several times, and I think I got a response once. However, he does seem to be very responsive to questions posed on his Forum. Try posing your question here:

Jack, W8TEE

At 19-08-19, you wrote:
>I am han radio from cuba. I build the Ubitx and working fine. The questions is
>I can use GLCD 32160 to put un my Ubitx

Evan Hand

Thank-you Jack.  As usual always helpful.

73
Evan
AC9TU

Ashhar Farhan

Jack,
My IP address is blocked on the forum. I can't seem to get through.

On Mon 19 Aug, 2019, 9:01 PM Evan Hand, <elhandjr@...> wrote:
Thank-you Jack.  As usual always helpful.

73
Evan
AC9TU

Jack Purdum

Farhan:

Tell me what you'd like posted there and I'll do it for you, if you think that would help.

Jack, W8TEE

On Monday, August 19, 2019, 11:44:27 AM EDT, Ashhar Farhan <farhanbox@...> wrote:

Jack,
My IP address is blocked on the forum. I can't seem to get through.

On Mon 19 Aug, 2019, 9:01 PM Evan Hand, <elhandjr@...> wrote:
Thank-you Jack.  As usual always helpful.

73
Evan
AC9TU

Doug W

Try a web proxy  https://www.hidemyass.com/en-us/proxy

--
www.bitxmap.com

MadRadioModder

The only weak spot I see is the ADC chain.  It’s 14 bits but while the spec says there are two… there is actually only one and its muxed.  But it can resolve differential signals because of the way it’s set up.

[...]

…_. _._

Tom, wb6b

On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 06:26 AM, Jack Purdum wrote:
but this article looks like it could help:
What an interesting site. The site that host the article you linked:
https://www.electronicwings.com
Has a lot of interesting projects and articles. It is amazing how well the experimenter/maker/hobbyist world is doing, with so many sites devoted to technology for experimenters. The projects now days were just science fiction dreams 30+ years ago.

Tom, wb6b

co8pap@...

Here in cuba not is possible buy component, i an take the aviable components .

Curt

Senior CO8PAP

Sorry we got off your topic, and not everyone appreciates your challenges there.

Please visit my club's website k3pzn.net/ubitx for many simple modifications you can consider. Also okay to email me.

The basic display does work nicely.

Curt

Jerry Gaffke

I'm guessing your "GLCD 32160" display is like the G32160x02 from Crystal Clear Technologies:
    https://static6.arrow.com/aropdfconversion/3e16150297febc19ea6cc89e5cc7cfdc807efae0/5g32160x02xxx00_rev1.pdf
That datasheet says it uses the SBN1661 controller:
    https://www.crystalfontz.com/controllers/Avant/SBN1661G/64
It appears the SBN1661 is supported under Arduino by u8glib
    https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/winstar-wg12232o-lcd/

Datasheet says the SBN1661 always has an 8 bit parallel data bus plus Read, Write, ChipSelect.
The uBitx currently uses a 4 bit parallel bus, so you won't have enough pins
unless you go to a bigger processor than the Nano that is used on the Raduino.

I've made a number of assumptions above.
Check your display over, see if any chips are labeled "SBN1661"

This might not be easy to get working.
But could be a fun project if you have an extra Arduino processor to play with.

Good to know you have your uBitx up and working.
I am quite happy sticking with the original 1602 display.

Jerry, KE7ER