Topics

Hashtags!

Hi everyone,

Maybe these are a bit new to some groups.io users, but hashtags are a very handy way to keep the list organized, to receive just the posts you want, and to search for relevant posts.  They are also very easy to use!

When you create a new post, there will be a box for a subject line at the top, and right below it, will be a drop-down box that lets you choose the appropriate hashtag(s) for your subject.  For example, if you had a question about calibrating your ubix v5 radio, you can choose the hashtags, "ubitx", "v5", and "calibration".  If you don't see a hashtag that you think is needed, and will be a good category for others to use, you can first go the the Hashtag link on the left of the page and down at the bottom of that page will be a box you can click to create a new hashtag.

As a list user, you can go again to the Hashtag page and mute any topics that don't interest you.  For example, if you are not interested in the ubitx40, you can just mute all topics related to that.

For searching, you also can use the Hashtag page.  Just click on one of the hashtags, and all posts that have the hash tag you chose will be listed for you!

Cheers to everyone and HNY,

Mark.

David Alexander

funny.  thunderbird does not seem to have this feature.
dave k7da

On 1/6/2020 1:26 PM, Mark - N7EKU wrote:
[...]

Dennis Zabawa

I sounds SO simple BUT, getting user to do this consistently is like Herding Cats!

Hi David,

I was describing the features of the Groups.io web interface.  I don't view groups using email because it doesn't make sense to me.  One misses all the other features of a group such as this hashtags feature, as well is the group wiki, files, and photo sections.

Yep Dennis, but I think many have yet to discover the advantages of the feature, also, since I don't access the groups via emails, I'm not sure how the feature works there.  Maybe one can type in the hashtags manualy but I'm not sure?

73,

Mark.

Reed N

Perhaps requiring at least one hashtag could improve people's experience, since it would inspire people to at least choose something relevant to their topic, and thus give others the opportunity to filter somewhat? Currently there are lots of threads with NO tag, and since we can't add them after they're made, there's no way to filter those threads at all.

From https://groups.io/static/help:
Requiring hashtags: In a group set to Hashtags Required, all messages sent to a group must be tagged with at least one hashtag.

Reed

Vince Vielhaber

And as soon as those who use email, rather than the web interface, start getting their messages rejected for lack of hashtag, you will see a lack of messages, not an increase of hashtags.

Vince - K8ZW.

From https://groups.io/static/help:

Requiring hashtags: In a group set to Hashtags Required, all
messages sent to a group must be tagged with at least one hashtag.

Reed

Reed N

Vince,

That's a valid concern. I would expect that anybody who sent a hashtag-less email would get an immediate reply from the server telling them they need to re-send their email with a hashtag in the subject line, but if the server drops the message silently, that would be a real problem. I don't know which of these scenarios is the real one, but it would definitely be good to find out before turning that feature on.

Reed

Christopher Miller

I agree that it’s not going to help. Everyone has options of receiving a digest or to unfollow threads. Why create more rules when this is working?

KF4FTR

On Tue, Jan 7, 2020 at 7:49 PM Reed N <greenkid336600+groupsio@...> wrote:
Vince,

That's a valid concern. I would expect that anybody who sent a hashtag-less email would get an immediate reply from the server telling them they need to re-send their email with a hashtag in the subject line, but if the server drops the message silently, that would be a real problem. I don't know which of these scenarios is the real one, but it would definitely be good to find out before turning that feature on.

Reed

Vince Vielhaber

Well that's fine if they don't have a bunch of messages to see before it, or leave before they see it. If they don't end up seeing that server response for 3 or 4 hours or maybe even longer, they may very well not bother.

Vince - K8ZW.

On 01/07/2020 09:49 PM, Reed N wrote:
Vince,

That's a valid concern. I would expect that anybody who sent a
hashtag-less email would get an immediate reply from the server telling
them they need to re-send their email with a hashtag in the subject
line, but if the server drops the message silently, that would be a real
problem. I don't know which of these scenarios is the real one, but it
would definitely be good to find out before turning that feature on.

Reed

Erwin Serlé

Aren't we simply missing a Forum structure based on subjects? That would more or less self organise

With some help of moderators per subject.

PE3ES - F4VTQ - Erwin
73

Erwin Serlé

Or use

Subgroups

Groups.io supports subgroups. A subgroup is a group within another group. When viewing your group on the website, you can create a subgroup by clicking the 'Subgroup' tab on the left side. The email address of a subgroup is of the form subgroup@subdomain.groups.io.

Not too many, but maybe per product (BITx/uBITx/versions ?) and divided if needed for hardware and software

--
PE3ES - F4VTQ - Erwin
73