Topics

great, cheap desoldering tool

Doug W

I finally had time to play with my new cheap desoldering iron.  It works great!  I tested it out removing the relays on a V3 µBITX.  For $9 I am very, very happy.  It combines a plunger type solder sucker with a 40w iron with a hole in the tip.  It left clean through holes and clean leads.  Using this was far easier than any other desoldering method I have ever done.  I bought this one from MPJA.com.  I only used it for 32 leads so I can not speak to longevity of this tool.

https://www.mpja.com/40-Watt-Desoldering-Iron/productinfo/16922+TL/
40 Watt Desoldering Iron
--
www.bitxmap.com

Vince Vielhaber

I went with this one, but it's out of stock now. When they have them they go fast.

https://www.mpja.com/Desoldering-Station-for-Circuit-Repair-ZD-915/productinfo/19034+TL/

Vince.

On 09/23/2020 11:38 AM, Doug W wrote:
I finally had time to play with my new cheap desoldering iron. It works
great! I tested it out removing the relays on a V3 µBITX. For $9 I am
very, very happy. It combines a plunger type solder sucker with a 40w
iron with a hole in the tip. It left clean through holes and clean
leads. Using this was far easier than any other desoldering method I
have ever done. I bought this one from MPJA.com. I only used it for 32
leads so I can not speak to longevity of this tool.

https://www.mpja.com/40-Watt-Desoldering-Iron/productinfo/16922+TL/
40 Watt Desoldering Iron
--
www.bitxmap.com <http://www.bitxmap.com>

I bought the exact same one, works perfect, I just changed a relay in my Kenwood TS-130S yesterday, when I got to the last pin the relay drop right out on to the bench, can't beat that.

Joel
N6ALT

Shirley Dulcey KE1L

MPJA has them again. For now :)

On Wed, Sep 23, 2020 at 11:51 AM Vince Vielhaber <vev@...> wrote:
I went with this one, but it's out of stock now. When they have them
they go fast.

https://www.mpja.com/Desoldering-Station-for-Circuit-Repair-ZD-915/productinfo/19034+TL/

Vince.

On 09/23/2020 11:38 AM, Doug W wrote:
> I finally had time to play with my new cheap desoldering iron.  It works
> great!  I tested it out removing the relays on a V3 µBITX.  For $9 I am
> very, very happy.  It combines a plunger type solder sucker with a 40w
> iron with a hole in the tip.  It left clean through holes and clean
> leads.  Using this was far easier than any other desoldering method I
> have ever done.  I bought this one from MPJA.com.  I only used it for 32
> leads so I can not speak to longevity of this tool.
>
> https://www.mpja.com/40-Watt-Desoldering-Iron/productinfo/16922+TL/
> 40 Watt Desoldering Iron
> --
> www.bitxmap.com <http://www.bitxmap.com>

--
   K8ZW  http://www.metalworkingfun.com   http://www.hamradio.fun

Vince Vielhaber

Their website says this:

Availibilty: Out of Stock

Unless they haven't updated the site yet.

Vince.

--
K8ZW http://www.metalworkingfun.com http://www.hamradio.fun

Randy.AB9GO

Microcenter used to carry the exact same tool under the Velleman brand.  I looked and it is no longer on the website, but you could possibly find it elsewhere.  Amazon has the

Tenma 21-8240 Vacuum Desoldering Iron (same thing) for $17.23.

I have the Velleman and they do work well.  The only caveat is you must keep them clean and well lubed.  Vaseline or silicone grease works well.

Have used one of these for years under the Radio Shack brand:

ECG J-045-DS Electric Corded De-Soldering Iron, 420 Degree C Tip Temperature, 45W $23.00

They also work well but a little different technique is needed with this iron.

Randy ab9go

--
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when it deserves it."   Mark Twain.

Shirley Dulcey KE1L

Sorry, you were talking about the vacuum desoldering tool. That is indeed out of stock. I thought you were talking about the cheap desoldering iron, which they do have at the moment.

On Wed, Sep 23, 2020 at 1:08 PM Vince Vielhaber <vev@...> wrote:
Their website says this:

Availibilty: Out of Stock

Unless they haven't updated the site yet.

Vince.

On 09/23/2020 12:59 PM, Shirley Dulcey  KE1L wrote:
> MPJA has them again. For now :)
>
> On Wed, Sep 23, 2020 at 11:51 AM Vince Vielhaber <vev@...
> <mailto:vev@...>> wrote:
>
>     I went with this one, but it's out of stock now. When they have them
>     they go fast.
>
>     https://www.mpja.com/Desoldering-Station-for-Circuit-Repair-ZD-915/productinfo/19034+TL/
>
>     Vince.
>

>     On 09/23/2020 11:38 AM, Doug W wrote:
>     > I finally had time to play with my new cheap desoldering iron.  It
>     works
>     > great!  I tested it out removing the relays on a V3 µBITX.  For $9
>     I am
>     > very, very happy.  It combines a plunger type solder sucker with a 40w
>     > iron with a hole in the tip.  It left clean through holes and clean
>     > leads.  Using this was far easier than any other desoldering method I
>     > have ever done.  I bought this one from MPJA.com.  I only used it
>     for 32
>     > leads so I can not speak to longevity of this tool.
>     >
>     > https://www.mpja.com/40-Watt-Desoldering-Iron/productinfo/16922+TL/
>     > 40 Watt Desoldering Iron
>     > --
>     > www.bitxmap.com <http://www.bitxmap.com> <http://www.bitxmap.com>
>     >
>
>     --
>        K8ZW  http://www.metalworkingfun.com   http://www.hamradio.fun

--
   K8ZW  http://www.metalworkingfun.com   http://www.hamradio.fun

Mark M

Amazon has them in stock (the ZD-915)...same price but free shipping (with Prime).

Roy Appleton

Looking at the 1 and 2 star reviews of ZD-915 I wouldn't buy it!

Roy
WA0YMH

On Thu, Sep 24, 2020, 1:03 PM Mark M <junquemaile@...> wrote:
Amazon has them in stock (the ZD-915)...same price but free shipping (with Prime).

Ian Reeve

Bought one from another supplier,does the job but electrically unsafe.Twin mains lead,no earth and wires are just twisted together before being clamped.Yes I would give it only one star on safety grounds.

Looking at the 1 and 2 star reviews of ZD-915 I wouldn't buy it!

Roy
WA0YMH

On Thu, Sep 24, 2020, 1:03 PM Mark M <junquemaile@...> wrote:
Amazon has them in stock (the ZD-915)...same price but free shipping (with Prime).

bentukker@...

Tnx, just order one from a Dutch supplier