Topics

getting the uBitx on FT8

Nick Tile

Hi Guys,I was planning to put my uBitx on FT8 - no problem with an interface for the audio, but puzzled as to how best to drive the PTT. I've installed Ian's Firmware which seems to be CAT compliant but I can't see if it drives the PTT or if I need to install a USB - Serial interface. Interested to know how you've done it ? 

Nick

_Dave_ K0MBT

The arduino usb port plugs straight into the computer usb. I would reccomend a separate usb sound card for audio.
dave
K0mbt

Nick Tile

ah, that would imply that the PTT is driven through the USB port so is in software - I was wondering, thank you. There seem to be mixed views as to whether one should include isolation transformers in the audio chain so I was planning to build the simple interface that seems to be everywhere and includes them

N

Audio isolation is recommended, the cec software spoofs as a ft-817 I have run it without issue many times.
--
David

N8DAH
Kit-Projects.com

Shop is open!

K5ESS

FWIW here’s my solution.  See attached.

Mike

K5ESS

From: BITX20@groups.io [mailto:BITX20@groups.io] On Behalf Of Nick Tile
Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2019 9:28 AM
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: [BITX20] getting the uBitx on FT8

Hi Guys,I was planning to put my uBitx on FT8 - no problem with an interface for the audio, but puzzled as to how best to drive the PTT. I've installed Ian's Firmware which seems to be CAT compliant but I can't see if it drives the PTT or if I need to install a USB - Serial interface. Interested to know how you've done it ? 

Nick

Skip Davis

Thanks Mike for the interface solution PDF you put together it’s very useful. I’ve been meaning to build one again I just needed a schematic. I built a similar one for packet I just can’t recall what I did with it or what I did with the schematic.

Skip Davis, NC9O 

On Jul 17, 2019, at 22:16, K5ESS via Groups.Io <k5ess.nothdurft@...> wrote:

FWIW here’s my solution.  See attached.

Mike

K5ESS

From: BITX20@groups.io [mailto:BITX20@groups.io] On Behalf Of Nick Tile
Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2019 9:28 AM
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: [BITX20] getting the uBitx on FT8

Nick

<K5ESS Easy Digi.pdf>

Mark Hatch

Skip,

I purchased a cheap usb hub and sound card from ebay (total $$$ < $10 delivered). Installed them within the ubitx case and working fine on ft8.

Tricks:
1. use KD8CEC CAT control for transmitter (ptt)
2. Added a dpdt switch on the wire to the speaker. When it is in "ft8" mode, the sound goes into the mic of the usb sound card. when it is in "normal" mode, sound goes to the speaker
3. Wired the speaker of the sound card into the mic
4. Used shielded cables for input/output to sound card
5. Made sure that the internal hub the UBITX *was not* connected to another hub. To get it to work, had to directly connect the USB cable out of the UBITX to my NUC.
6. Direct connect to com port on the windows machine. Could *not* reliably use omnirig.
7. had to set to USB mode in WJSTx
8. Used none in WJSTX for Rig vs Fake It option.

That should get you online. (Don't forget that volume controls the receive level of wjstx)

mark
AJ6CU

Mark Hatch

And also cut the 5v wire on the USB or your Raduino will always be powered by your computer.

Mark

Nick Tile

Lots of useful info - many thanks to all. Hopefully meet you all on FT8 shortly !!

73s, N

Don - KM4UDX

Mark — I used your procedures as well. Works grand. Question — given we have a cheap USB sound card dongle, can I remove the audio isolation txfmrs?

Mark Hatch

Don,

I did *not* use any isolation transformers. And as far as I can tell, there has been no ill effects. I also saw on other threads, where others did not include the transformers and seemed to be operational.

However, with that said, if you have everything together, why not keep them? I really don't know enough technically on this point to provide any guidance. I remember my 8th grade math teacher beating into my head that just because you found one example of where a proof was correct, that doesn't mean it is a proof. :-)

Mark
AJ6CU