Topics

FYI: Time Stations

Jeffrey Benedict

FYI:  There is a list of time stations on the following link.  North Americans may be able to get CHU, the Canadian station.  It is not on 2.5, 5, 10. 15. and 20.  See the list for their frequencies.

http://www.dxinfocentre.com/time.htm
--
Jeff, K7AIL  CN87

raoul@...

Jeffrey Benedict

CHU is on 3.3, 7.85 and 14.67 Mhz
--
Jeff, K7AIL  CN87

raoul@...

Wayne Leake

back in the 1950's, I used to receive CHU on 7.85Mhz, as well as 2.5Mhz, 5.0Mhz 10.0Mhz and maybe higher WWV signals.
 I lived in Syracuse NY at the time, and used a wire antenna, with a very old,but still good Philco Model 620.
 The Philco was a good Superhet multi band, with RF amp as well as mixer, IF amp, diode detector, plus triode audio amp and pentode audio output.
 Was AM only,so I could not listen to SSB, and CW was not my thing.
 Regardless, I was able to set my watch and clock by either CHU or WWV
 Wayne WA2YNE

Buddy Brannan

CHU used to be on 7335, not 7850, didn’t it? Can’t recall which other of their transmissions moved, if any, but I do recall there being a bit of uproar when they were proposing eliminating 7335.

Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Email: buddy@...
Mobile: (814) 431-0962

On Jul 28, 2019, at 12:20 AM, Wayne Leake <wayneleake@...> wrote:

back in the 1950's, I used to receive CHU on 7.85Mhz, as well as 2.5Mhz, 5.0Mhz 10.0Mhz and maybe higher WWV signals.
I lived in Syracuse NY at the time, and used a wire antenna, with a very old,but still good Philco Model 620.
The Philco was a good Superhet multi band, with RF amp as well as mixer, IF amp, diode detector, plus triode audio amp and pentode audio output.
Was AM only,so I could not listen to SSB, and CW was not my thing.
Regardless, I was able to set my watch and clock by either CHU or WWV
Wayne WA2YNE

Jim

2009 they moved from 7335 to 7850.

Wayne Leake

I think you are correct that CHU used to be maybe 7.335Mhz.
 I know I listened to it closer to the 40meter band way back.
 Been so long since I listened to it.
Wayne WA2YNE

Gordon Gibby

moved in 2009 according to wikipedia. lower sideband suppressed. 10kW on 7.85. I've used them several times.

[...]

David McGaw

To confirm, CHU is 3.330, 7.850 and 14.670, easily heard in the East.
They moved to 7.85 from 7.335 when the world frequency allocations were
changed to allow SW broadcast on their frequency and a religious station
put a powerhouse signal right on top of them.  BTW, I use USB SSB to
receive them, which gives lower noise than AM.

David N1HAC