Topics

Folder Name fFor Re: Reed's sketches #nano #arduino #ubitxv6

David Barber

Hello: Reed

I am very close in  beginning the update of my UBitX V6 with your V6 update.

First: it is nice to notice a V6 user who accidentally discovered the CW read of the display for person's  who are Blind. As a person who is blind it made me smile!

Second: I have downloaded and installed the Arduino program. Also, I have downloaded your V6 zip file. Both files were downloaded via Microsoft Edge. They are both in my Windows 10 download folder. Which folder does the zip file contents go in to?

Third: My NV Access screen reading program has problems in reading  the Arduino screens. Can I make setting changes and update my UBitX  via Arduino hot keys? If so, which order  of the Arduino hot keys are to be used?  By the way, could a scrip be created for Arduino program in updating the UBitX V6?

Appreciate all the help.

73 Dave WD8AJQ

5

On May 29, 2020, at 9:31 PM, Reed N <greenkid336600+groupsio@...> wrote:

Jack is spot on about needing all the files, and the benefit of reduced compile times. The easiest way is to click the green download button, then choose to download the full zip file.

I'd also add that its way easier to navigate multiple single-job files than a single monolithic ino file. There's a bit of a curve in knowing which pieces are in which files, but compartmentalized code pieces make it easy to figure out where dependencies are, and where related code pieces are.

Reed

Reed N

Hi Dave,

Arduino's IDE has a silly requirement than the *.ino file name match the folder name it's inside, so since my version has a file called "ubitxv6.ino", you have to put all of the files (including the ubitxv6.ino) into a folder called "ubitxv6".

Once you have the Arduino IDE open, under the "Tools" menu (which you should be able to access via keyboard by pressing Alt momentarily, and then navigating via the arrow keys) you'll need to set the "Board" to "Arduino Nano", the "Port" to whichever USB serial port is assigned by the computer (might be the only option, if you don't have anything else connected), and the "Processor" to "ATMega328p (Old Bootloader)". With those settings in place, you should be able to press Ctrl+U to compile, verify, and upload/program.

Reed

Jack, W8TEE

Another potential problem is the CH340 device driver. If the compile goes okay, but the upload fails, it could be that you don't have the CH340 device driver installed. Just search "CH340 device driver download", download it, and run the installer. You should close and re-open the IDE after the CH340 installer finishes.

Jack, W8TEE

--
Jack, W8TEE

David Barber

Reed:

What's the folder path name where "ubitxv6" goes under?

By the way, from the Arduino main screen, under file/preferences is an option for turning on the accessibility interface for screen reader usage. I made the change, there is no difference. May need to obtain sighted help to make this change happen.

73 Dave WD8AJQ

5

On May 30, 2020, at 1:16 AM, Reed N <greenkid336600+groupsio@...> wrote:

[...]

The folder name MUST match the primary INO file name (the one with setup() and loop() in it). With Reed's code, the folder must be ubitxv6 and all 60+ project files go under that folder. Load the IDE, go to that folder, open it, and double-click ubitxv6.ino and it will load everything. For example:

    C:\unbitv6\bands.cpp
                     bands.h
                     button.cpp
                     // and so on...
                     ubitxv6.ino
                     // and so on...

There are two folders in the directory, too (PDQ_MinLib, toneAC2).

Jack, W8TEE

On Saturday, May 30, 2020, 10:18:21 AM EDT, David Barber <wd8ajq@...> wrote:

[...]

The folder location isn't important. Can go on your desktop, or documents, or root directory like Jack's example. As long as the folder containing the code is named "ubitxv6" it should be okay.

Sorry to hear that the Arduino IDE isn't very accessible. I hope you can figure something out soon.

Reed

Arv Evans

Reed

Seems that just like traditional C-compilers you can provide full path to
the #include directive and thus put those pesky files anywhere you like?

Arv
_._

On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 11:16 PM Reed N <greenkid336600+groupsio@...> wrote:
[...]

Those running Linux usually do not need to worry about the CH340 driver.
"Linux Just Works"!

Arv
_._

On Sat, May 30, 2020 at 6:41 AM Jack, W8TEE via groups.io <jjpurdum=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

If you set up the AVR tool chain, you can put the files anywhere. But the Arduino IDE imposes the "folder name = ino name", and most people use it, not a terminal. The Arduino IDE doesn't care where the folder is, but it does care that the names match.

Arduino IDE okay:
C:/Foo/Foo.ino
C:/Users/Reed/Desktop/Bar/Bar.ino

Arduino IDE rejection:
C:/Bar/Foo.ino
C:/Users/Reed/Desktop/Foo/Bar.ino

Files are in the same structural location, but the IDE will reject them because of the name mis match.

Reed