Topics

Fan Shroud for Sunil's "taller" cases

Mark Hatch

Hi,

Just uploaded a Fan Shroud to thingiverse:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3790450

This is for the "taller" of the cases that Sunil sells from amateurradiokits.in

It basically bolts onto the 80mm fan in the rear (you might recognize the "tan" of a
Noctua fan -- much quieter than the one supplied). It sits on the uBitx motherboard with two slots straddling the heat sinks.

Have not powered this on yet, but suspect it will keep things nice and cool even in digital modes. This was designed with Fusion 360 and will make the design files available to other hams to remix. There has been several other suggestions for adding ducts for cooling some of the hotter spots in our radios.

I was inspired in this effort by the work by another cooling shroud for the "shorter" of Sunil's cases. See:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3360539

73
Mark
AJ6CU

JT Croteau

This thing is EPIC.  Now I just need Sunil to make a case for my favorite panel.

On Mon, Aug 5, 2019 at 9:50 AM Mark Hatch <mark2382@...> wrote:
[...]

Mike Yancey

You, sir, are a steely-eyed, missile-man.
VERY nice design & fitting work - and I just recently upgraded to an Ender 3 - that might be a 'do' I need to do.

Best,

Mike Yancey, KM5Z
Dallas, Texas, USA

On Mon, Aug 5, 2019 at 09:49 AM, Mark Hatch wrote:

Mark Hatch

I have on order a little volt/temp gauge that with a little filing should fit into the hole where the mechanical S meter is supposed to go. Will share a photo of that along with some info on temp of the files without the shroud and fan off, without the shroud and fan on, with shroud and fan off, and with shroud and fan on. Should be interesting results.

Mark

Wayne Leake

 That's a great item for the uBITX in Sunil's cases.
 I plan to use something similar in the latest computer I am building.
  Years ago,I made a case with fan to keep a pair of Commodore floppy drives cooler.
 Used a combination of cardboard and fiberglass, rather custom built
 Always need to try and keep things cool, as heat is bad for electronics.
 For my BITX40 and BITX20, I'll need to figure out the best way to mount fans to keep the PA's,and, in one instance, the Voltage regulator, which is a part of the PA board on the BITX20 I'm working on.
 Be nice if I had a 3D printer, but it is not in the budget.
 Always like to see good customized items like this.

 Wayne WA2YNE

Herman Scheper

Hi Mark,

I am looking fort he same solutionto fill this hole…What part you ordered en where….

Herman Scheper- PA0BAB