Topics

Fan Noise from amateurradiokits case kit #bitx20help

albert@...

I purchased a Nextion 3.5" cabinet kit from amateurradiokits DOT in.
The case came quite complete with all the cables/connectors, etc. but a little lacking in assembly instructions. (I am a kit builder and figured it out, well pretty much.)

I build the kit in sections,
1st    Basic Radio Ver. 5 with 2-line LCD in the case. (worked well)
2nd   Installed/Upgraded to the Nextion Display (Very nice addition)
3rd   Audio amplifier board (Little problem here, the amplifier IC was bad. Corrected and audio quality is MUCH better than with the LM386.)
4th   AGC board with VU meter (Had problems here with calibration. I found an alternate cal procedure buried (VERY Buried) in the documentation and all went well)
5th   Fan and Heatsink kit (Still have problem here, see below...)

The Heatsinks were too tall and I was afraid they could touch the grounded top case.
They would clear the case top but, if any pressure was put on the top I felt it would possibly touch so I milled .125" off and all was good.
BTW, my IRC-510s are in sockets which raises them about .25".

The fan is another issue.
The instructions do not indicate how/where to connect it.
It is a 12 volt brushless type. I decided to connect it to the power switch, Unit On-Fan On.
I get terrible audio interference from the fan.
I was going to try moving the fan to the outside of the metal case or possibly connect it to the Transmit side of the TR relay, Transmit-Fan On, Receive-Fan Off
Possibly try another brushless fan, maybe the one I got has a problem.

Has anyone else built this kit and had a similar issue?
Albert
KE0PRX

engineering@...

Hi Albert,

You are way ahead of me.

I too am trying to assemble the kit with the 3.5" Nextion display and the kit is full of mysteries.

I can't find the exact code for the 3.5" display. The published code doesn't fill the display.

Not sure yet about the right code for the Nano, still looking for the *.ino file for this.

Lots of different files, different generations, but the guide is fuzzy.

No clue how to install the audio amp or the AGC board.

I've got one uBitx working in the smaller case with a version 4 board. That was
 a trial too, but not so bad.

Seems like clear instructions are promised in the future, but for now we are on our own.

Wayne O.
W9NZB

Ian Reeve

I too have the case assembly with fan,audio amp and agc boards for the Nextion 3.5" screen.The  supplied fan is noisy mechanically and electrically inducing noise on receive audio.Fan ran too fast so running it at reduced voltage and bypassing the DC supply with a electrolytic and a polypropolend cap of 220uf and 0.01 uf respectively.Fan runs at reduced speed and is no longer intrusive.  Ian M0IDR

I too am trying to assemble the kit with the 3.5" Nextion display and the kit is full of mysteries.

I can't find the exact code for the 3.5" display. The published code doesn't fill the display.

Not sure yet about the right code for the Nano, still looking for the *.ino file for this.

Lots of different files, different generations, but the guide is fuzzy.

No clue how to install the audio amp or the AGC board.

I've got one uBitx working in the smaller case with a version 4 board. That was
 a trial too, but not so bad.

Seems like clear instructions are promised in the future, but for now we are on our own.

Wayne O.
W9NZB

albert@...

I will try that. Thanks!

Mark Hatch

I replaced mine with a 10mm Noctua fan, but I have the taller case. I don't recall hearing any noise. I also put it on a switch. But if you look at ubitx.net and search for fan, you will see where someone used a $3 temp sensing relay to turn the fans on and off. He used heat transferred epoxy to attach the sensor to one of the heat sinks. Have the parts, but just have not taken that step yet. BTW: Since I was running KD8CEC with the extra nano, I already had a S meter. So I got a cheap digital readout and glued the sensor to the heat sink. That way, I could manually know when to turn on the fan.

73
Mark
AJ6CU

Hi Albert,

I put my fan in series with a 104 degree F thermal switch so it never comes on unless I talk for a real long time. There is no need to have it running all the time. BTW, I've only had the fan come on once.

Joel
N6ALT

albert@...

I found the 3.5" TFT at the amateurradiokits website.
You have to go to "My Account" dropdown (Orange Button)
Depending on the login state you may have to login.
There you will find a "downloads" link. (7th down)
Download the "uBitx Nextion Case" (last one, takes a while)
Decompress is and look for a folder called "ubitx nexton case"
In that folder you will see a file "ubitx_35_basic.tft", That is what you want.
I am still waiting on my 3.5" display to be delivered. I am currently using 2.4" display I had for another project.

When you get to building and calibrating the AGC board use the "AGC Details.pdf" file found in the AGC folder!
DON'T download the second folder down (AGC) from the downloads amateurradiokits website. It will not give you ALL the information you need to know.
I used the AGC folder from the "ubitx nexton case" folder. (Spent a couple of days figuring that out.)

As for the uBitx software I used "http://www.hamskey.com/2019/04/release-cec-firmware-v1200-for-ubitx.html"
Scroll down to "2. Download the file"

Hope this helps!
Albert
KE0PRX

engineering@...

Albert!

I took the 2.3 inch from another listing an rewrote it for the 3.5. Not quite right.

Found it and downloaded it and I'm about to try your suggestion, "ubitx_35_basic.tft."

Let you know.

Wayne, W9NZB

[...]

OK, that works. I don't like it as much as the ones that are smaller, but it does work.

Looks like I have a lot to learn here. Thanks for helping me get started.

Wayne O.
W9NZB
www.engineering@...

[...]

KD2QMZ

Mine do exactly the same. Filtering with ferrite beads etc, no luck.
It may be a great improvement on the case, but another problem on the kit.
Still love it, just set mine aside for a later time.

On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 11:31 AM <albert@...> wrote:
[...]

All tested, that works perfectly! Thank you so much!

Wayne O.