Topics

Encoder discussion

Jack, W8TEE

What about smooth encoder "drifting" that I mentioned earlier. I am trying to make moving from one menu to the next a push button task.. If the new menu has choices, then I use an encoder, but I put a half-second delay when using the encoder to move between choises. My guess is that most people won't even be aware of the delay, but it prevents the "next line" problem you mentioned. I then use the same NO push button to make the choice and move to the next menu.

Jack, W8TEE

On Wednesday, February 19, 2020, 1:57:25 PM EST, Alan de G1FXB <g1fxb.groups@...> wrote:

ONLY if the sole function is VFO tuning then a smooth encoder is nice.
If it has a second function of navigating a menu structure, then with DETENTS otherwise you are overshoot and for always tickling the knob up / down to select the correct entry
only to depress the enter button on the encoder shaft and and it moves to the next line again at the last minute.....

Only trying to refuel your auto to an exact $ is more satisfying.

Alan

On 19/02/2020 18:49, Dennis Zabawa wrote:
I will throw in another vote for detents.  I have several electronic devices in the house that have detented encoders and they work well IMHO.
--
Smell Czech corruptions are inevitable

--
Jack, W8TEE