Topics

Electronic encoder (Not rotary)

Gerard

Hello,
As you know the encoder makes noise in the speaker when you turn it. (At least mine).
I think that we could remove this noise by a logical circuit mounting and create a T/R stylus signal that via the Mosfet will block the amplifier when you rotate it.
But I was wondering, if the encoder could not be replaced, by 3 buttons. UP, Down, Valid.
You know what I mean, a bit like your alarm clock radio when you set it, it starts to scroll down slowly and then faster. (here we have to limit the faster, if you want the Arduino to follow!)
So no mechanical contacts >> no noise.
I have not yet found a diagram on it, but I have an example in the other direction to understand the purpose of my approach.

here:
https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/494616/encoder-acting-as-2-buttons&usg=ALkJrhj9qYwT7ZJ5jZIm3lSFR2FkbMfNPA

If anyone has ever experienced this

cdt

Jack, W8TEE

Gerard:

What encoder type are you using? Is it "stock"? My encoder makes no noise at all (Bourns).

Jack, W8TEE

--
Jack, W8TEE

Gerard

Jack,
My encoder is one first price on Amazon...so...(At first we save money)

https://www.amazon.fr/Veroda-Rotary-Encoder-Switch-Keyswitch/dp/B01CNF1BCA/ref=sr_1_11?__mk_fr_FR=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&dchild=1&keywords=rotary+encoder&qid=1603478571&sr=8-11

i know you have said there is one on Bourms model EM14
it can be nice a small electronic circuit. Can be cheaper than à "Luxury" encoder??
Ubitx is a good machine, but it would be nice to add some things.
It was a construction test, so obviously, I didn’t know all the details. Since it works well, I’m looking to improve

This was the subject of my post on a future V7. More than 100 answers, it shows interest.

cdt
.

barry halterman

Gerard, you might be hearing noise from the display being refreshed.
Barry

On Fri, Oct 23, 2020, 2:31 PM Jack, W8TEE via groups.io <jjpurdum=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

That seems more likely...

Jack, W8TEE

On Friday, October 23, 2020, 2:58:18 PM EDT, barry halterman <kthreebo@...> wrote:

[...]

Hum!! Not sure, on my mount the oscillator is card on support.
I think I did the test, with no oscillator and Nextion screen disconnected. I’ll try again tomorrow.

After that, I didn’t try it with schield cable.
it homemade
cdt

Gerard

I also received new transistors. I will replace the 3904 and 2222 with BFR type TO20.
I have CMS, but the circuit is not for.

Gerard

hello,
For the rotary encoder, where is two pb's
1) i notice that the rotation, sometimes makes the frequency know than the planned step
I found this article that talks more about digital noise on encoder.
 At the end of the article they advise to mount a diode and a small capacitor.

2) electronic noise:
All I know for now is that there is a  square signal of a few millivolts at the input of amplifier  -->>Not digital noise, but electronic noise (From encoder rotation) and therefore generates this generating noise.
Put shield cables?

And the last question, is your Ubitx connected to the electrical ground?
If i do it >> Some 50Htz in the speaker if electrical ground and ground for my power connected.
No if only connected on the chassis

cdt

Evan Hand

Gerard,
I did a quick search in my history emails and found this message:
https://groups.io/g/BITX20/message/77716

He solved his tuning clicks with shielded cable on the audio lines.

As you go back further in time on that thread you will find other suggestions around filtering the power to the Raduino 5volt regulator.  I would suggest that you go through all of the suggestions there.

As I had stated earlier, I did not have the issue.

As to the grounding issue, I did have that issue with an external audio amp.  I traced it to not having the audio amp grounded to the uBITX board backplane.  Be sure that there is a good connection between the two boards.

73
Evan
AC9TU

Gerard

Jack, W8TEE

Mouser has a Bourns encoders in stock:

Mfr. Part #
PEC11R-4220F-S0024

Mouser Part #
652-PEC11R-4220F-S24

that is 24 ppr, panel mount with switch, and sells for $1.63. I find they are good quality and, since I tend to buy 10x at a time, the cost drops to about $1.45 each. They also have 20ppr.

Jack, W8TEE

On Saturday, October 24, 2020, 8:16:35 AM EDT, Gerard <kabupos@...> wrote:

--
Jack, W8TEE

Gerard

Jack, Evan,

GOOOOD NEEEWS...
I just made a temporary assembly directly on the rotary encoder.
https://www.myadventuresinengineering.com/2019/04/rotary-encoder-replacement-for-ubitx.html

Assembly as specified in the previous link. (Except that I put 22nf instead of 10nf, no stock)
What a joy: No more noise when turning the encoder, same volume at full volume.

There is only  a supported small click, only when a digit changes on the Nextion.
From there, I wonder if it is not necessary to modify the lines RX and TX of the Nextion to the arduino
It seems to me that I’ve seen some fixtures where there are line resistances on every signal.
Maybe this will reduce the famous noise when adjusting the brightness of the Nextion?
To be seen
cdt

Jack, W8TEE

Gerard:

In setup() where you set the pin modes for A4 and A5, did you use INPUT or INPUT_PULLUP? I would think the resistors would be unnecessary on those lines as well as the 5V line if the internal pull-ups are activated. The caps should help with any noise.

Jack, W8TEE

On Saturday, October 24, 2020, 11:27:33 AM EDT, Gerard <kabupos@...> wrote:

Jack, Evan,

GOOOOD NEEEWS...
I just made a temporary assembly directly on the rotary encoder.
https://www.myadventuresinengineering.com/2019/04/rotary-encoder-replacement-for-ubitx.html

Assembly as specified in the previous link. (Except that I put 22nf instead of 10nf, no stock)
What a joy: No more noise when turning the encoder, same volume at full volume.

There is only  a supported small click, only when a digit changes on the Nextion.
From there, I wonder if it is not necessary to modify the lines RX and TX of the Nextion to the arduino
It seems to me that I’ve seen some fixtures where there are line resistances on every signal.
Maybe this will reduce the famous noise when adjusting the brightness of the Nextion?
To be seen
cdt

--
Jack, W8TEE

Gerard

Jack,
Now I’m a little lost
A4,A5? We are talking about the concordance of RX and TX with the Arduino?
I don’t know about the statement
I simply used the file of KD8CEC /Ubitx V234/Nextion CEC 1.2 NX.HEX because it corresponds to my hardware (Filter 12mhz)
I am not a programmer, you should probably look in Ubitx V4.3 code?
May you verified?

Otherwise for the encoder it satisfies me

cdt

Jack, W8TEE

No, I was just working on a project that used the clock and data line (A4 and A5) for the interface to the Nano. If the schematic you're using has the resistor in place, I'm sure it's a no-harm, no-foul situation on the pin modes.

Jack, W8TEE

On Sat, Oct 24, 2020 at 06:34 PM, Jack, W8TEE wrote:
No, I was just working on a project that used the clock and data line (A4 and A5) for the interface to the Nano. If the schematic you're using has the resistor in place, I'm sure it's a no-harm, no-foul situation on the pin modes.

Gerard

Jack,
I put the diagrams of my house Ubitx
You can then see this story of resistor.
cdt

Evan Hand

Gerard,
There are two places that adding a resistor and capacitor filter like this would help
https://groups.io/g/BITX20/message/30226
The first is in the 12volts feeding the Raduino, the second is in the 5volts feeding the Nextion display.  The 10 ohms also helps with any backlight display noise when the brightness is turned down on the Nextion.

I am glad that the capacitors and pull up resistors on the encoder helped with the tuning clicks.  That to me supports the idea that rapid frequency changes could have caused the clicks.  With the Nextion power filtering (the capacitors and resistor) that should reduce the frequency.

Anyway, glad you found a solution.
73
Evan
AC9TU

Evan Hand

Gerard,
Jack is talking about the SDA and SCL lines to the Si5351a clock chip.  Here is the original Raduion schematic for reference:

Note R13 and R14 are pull up resistors on the SDA and SCL lines to the Si5351a chip.  They are missing on your schematic of the Raduino section (page 3).

73
Evan
AC9TU

Gerard

Evan,

My Si5351 generator is a plug-in module. See exemple
Maybe the resistor are on it? the module diagram should be. If someone have it.
To check, in any case it would cost not to add the 2 resistors on the connections in question.

When I did the editing, I had looked at all the problems a bit and so I did the modifications for the connection (self, etc.)
There, it’s still very comfortable. only a light click as soon as a digit changes.

My idea was to see if it changed anything by doing the same assembly on the TX and RX lines of the Nextion to Arduino + evently lines SDA and SCL
module example:
https://www.amazon.com/Comimark-CJMCU-5351-Si5351A-Generator-Breakout/dp/B07X39J647/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=si5351&qid=1603614841&sr=8-2

cdt