Topics

Done!

Jack, W8TEE

All:

I've been rattling on about the "new Projects" book off-and-on for about a year. Al (AC8GY) and I are sending the book to the publisher (ARRL) on Friday, completely finished and ready to go! The projects in the book can be seen in this photo:

Inline image

There are four other chapters, too, but don't result in an actual project (e.g., setting up the IDE, Intro to C, Libraries and OOP, etc.). Alas, the ARRL has stuck the new license manual in front of our book, so it appears we will miss the Dayton show. That really sucks since Al and I will be at FDIM anyway. Oh well...

Jack, W8TEE

--
Jack, W8TEE

Mark Hatch

Can't wait! Congratulations!!!!

Mark

dwhacks

This is going to be awesome! One thing, I was looking for the Dummy Load code again last night and I was getting all sort of errors on your site. Any idea why that's happening?

David Adams

Tell me more about this mag loop controller... also congratulations on the new book.  I look forward to purchasing it!

dAve

On 12/11/2019 11:03 AM, Jack, W8TEE via Groups.Io wrote:
All:

I've been rattling on about the "new Projects" book off-and-on for about a year. Al (AC8GY) and I are sending the book to the publisher (ARRL) on Friday, completely finished and ready to go! The projects in the book can be seen in this photo:

There are four other chapters, too, but don't result in an actual project (e.g., setting up the IDE, Intro to C, Libraries and OOP, etc.). Alas, the ARRL has stuck the new license manual in front of our book, so it appears we will miss the Dayton show. That really sucks since Al and I will be at FDIM anyway. Oh well...

Jack, W8TEE

--
Jack, W8TEE

Jack, W8TEE

The Mag loop covers 40, 30, and 20M with an SWR of 1.2:1 or better on all bands. It's about 3' in diameter, which is why I call it "luggable". We tested it at Field day and worked CO to the East coast running 100W. We've also made over 10,000 WSPR entries all over the world, too. Chapter 14 is dedicated to building the loops and 15 covers the remote control unit. Unlike many remote tuners that rely on audio noise levels to tune the antenna, ours gives you an SWR plot on the display. It has a Fast Tune mode where it uses previous cap settings stored in EEPROM to quickly move the cap to the proper setting. The more you use it, the quicker it gets at tuning. We've tested it to 100' separation with perfect results. It's pretty cool!

Jack, W8TEE

On Wednesday, December 11, 2019, 12:07:22 PM EST, David Adams <david@...> wrote:

[...]

Our HamRadioDesigns site is hacked every time we fix it and our ISP has been zero help. As a result, we are using our SoftwareControlledHamRadio group for most things now.

Jack, W8TEE

On Wednesday, December 11, 2019, 11:29:25 AM EST, dwhacks <waterlowphotography@...> wrote:

This is going to be awesome! One thing, I was looking for the Dummy Load code again last night and I was getting all sort of errors on your site. Any idea why that's happening?

--
Jack, W8TEE

Mike WA0YCN

And we have to wait months to get what we need to build this cool project?  :)

Jack, W8TEE

Actually, that's an interesting question. Al and I have talked about releasing the BOM's for the projects, but we need to find out if we can legally do that. More after I find out. There will be PCB's for all of the projects, except the really simple ones (e.g., the Mini DL).

Jack, W8TEE

On Wednesday, December 11, 2019, 3:25:01 PM EST, Mike WA0YCN <mgassman@...> wrote:

And we have to wait months to get what we need to build this cool project?  :)

--
Jack, W8TEE

Laurence Oberman

Read the first one cover-to-cover
Cant wait to get the next one.
Congratulations to both of you

On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 3:46 PM Jack, W8TEE via Groups.Io
<jjpurdum=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Actually, that's an interesting question. Al and I have talked about releasing the BOM's for the projects, but we need to find out if we can legally do that. More after I find out. There will be PCB's for all of the projects, except the really simple ones (e.g., the Mini DL).

Jack, W8TEE

On Wednesday, December 11, 2019, 3:25:01 PM EST, Mike WA0YCN <mgassman@...> wrote:

And we have to wait months to get what we need to build this cool project? :)

--
Jack, W8TEE

Jack, W8TEE

Thanks...it's appreciated!

Jack, W8TEE

--
Jack, W8TEE

David Adams

Cool!  And for those that already own a loop (alex, alpha or whatever... I haven't actually owned a loop since the AES Isoloop which I still miss), is it an easy retrofit?

Dave

Jack, W8TEE

We are sending signals to a stepper motor controller, which then controls an NEMA 17 stepper motor at the antenna. Depending upon what you are using, I don't see why it can't be made to work.

Jack, W8TEE