Topics

Display question #firmware

David KK7SS

Bear with me please... I'm getting old !

My experience with a live uBITX now totals 5 days!
My uBITX V6.1 is stock with the included 2.8" IKI9341 LCD and default firmware -  which has the "select the box" GUI.
I've read thru a truck-load of the messages and can't find a simple answer to the following questions..
1. Can I get that nice graphic display just using Firmware?
Or do I have to buy and install the Nextion 2.8" LCD?
2. If so, which firmware do I need..
And where do I get it from..

Thanks  (Flame suit is ON)

--
Dave KK7SS

David KK7SS

On Wed, Sep 23, 2020 at 08:37 PM, David KK7SS wrote:
IKI9341
Typo!  Should read ILI9341.

--
Dave KK7SS

Rene

Ik heb zojuist de nextion 2.8 geïnstalleerd en de radio reageert veel beter met de nieuwe software. Het afstemmen op de bands is nu zoveel beter. Voordat ik de 1.51-firmware op het standaardscherm gebruikte. Was ook een verbetering, maar nu met het volgende .... dus volgende stap is de S-meter en misschien een 2e nano. And of course my license 😉
Betreft
Rene
Nederland

Reed N

The nextion route is the "tried and true" upgrade path, but with a bit of coding you could get that UI with the stock screen but a different microcontroller. The arduino nano does not have enough flash space to draw a UI like that, although it doesn't have to be a box grid either.

Reed

Evan Hand

David,
IF you have the coding skills that Reed N has (which are great) then spending the money for a better processor and board to match would be a choice.  For about the same money, purchasing a 2.8" Nextion display and changing the firmware is the safer route.  There is a pdf document on ubitx.net that describes how one person has done this:
https://ubitx.net/2020/01/06/a-v6-nextion-display-conversion/

The latest Firmware for the Nano is here:
https://github.com/phdlee/ubitx/releases/tag/v1.20
NOTE: you use the v5 files (uBITXV5) for the v6, NOT the versions for 4 and earlier (uBITXV234).

For the Nextion display, I would use the link that was provided in the article, making sure you get the same model number as there is a difference in the tft files based on enhanced version or basic.

I would suggest you get everything organized before you start modifying.  I would also suggest trying out Reed N's revised firmware for the stock screen.  He has made improvements in both response and CW operation that may meet your needs.
https://github.com/reedbn/ubitxv6

Reed, would you please verify the above link as the best for David.

Hope this helps
73
Evan
AC9TU

Reed N

https://github.com/reedbn/ubitxv6 is the software, and https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jlllZbvFMCzO1MJLzlJDGb10HXSehlFNMDPsxGJZtvY/edit?usp=drivesdk is the manual (including installation of said software). While it should functionally improve the radio, I intentionally kept the look closer to "stock", so don't expect a major visual upgrade. That said, I did make it a bit easier to adjust the appearance without much coding knowledge. For instance, you can adjust the colors used by changing the assignments in color_theme.h . Button layout is a bit more work, since you have to change every coordinate for every button.

Reed

David KK7SS

Reed and others,

Thank you so much for all your replies..
 I really appreciate them.
Sad to say that being now in my 80's, and having last coded anything over 20 years ago, I am not going to try editing or modifying anyone's code..
I'd only break it !
I'll take a read on the Nextion upgrade path and see if I've got enough manual dexterity and eyesight o do that.
Would there be a pre-compiled file available?

--
Dave KK7SS

Kit Peters

Coding is like riding a bike - you never forget! At least that's what I hope I'll say when I'm 80. 😁

On Thu, Sep 24, 2020, 14:00 David KK7SS <d3j452@...> wrote:
Reed and others,

Thank you so much for all your replies..
 I really appreciate them.
Sad to say that being now in my 80's, and having last coded anything over 20 years ago, I am not going to try editing or modifying anyone's code..
I'd only break it !
I'll take a read on the Nextion upgrade path and see if I've got enough manual dexterity and eyesight o do that.
Would there be a pre-compiled file available?

--
Dave KK7SS

David KK7SS

Checking on Amazon, I see that there are many versions of the Nextion 2.8 display.
Which one do I get?
Is there a preferred Stateside supplier ?

Thanks

--
Dave KK7SS

David KK7SS

UPDATE: To clarify my dolemna here just two Amazon ASINs' for the Nextion 2.8" Display..  there are others!
B07QXQGT65
B08HD69NP6

It's puzzling for a newbie!

--
Dave KK7SS

Evan Hand

David,
I bought the ASIN B07Q36RBV2

https://smile.amazon.com/Nextion-NX3224T028-Display-Arduino-Raspberry/dp/B07Q36RBV2/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=Y4YBA6BQFTKP&dchild=1&keywords=nextion+2.8&qid=1600990082&sprefix=nextion%2Caps%2C176&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFFSDFLR0ZRN1lFQ1UmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAzOTU0MjMzQVVaUVZVSllVMkQ1JmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAyNDIxNDMyODgwVjNIWUg3QUFaJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

That is the Basic Resistive Touch display, NOT the enhanced.  There is not really much reason to go to the Enhanced display and spend the extra $5 as none of the enhanced capabilities are used by the KD8CEC software.  At least as far as I know.

First, be sure to find the tft file for the size, then look to see if it is Enhanced or Basic.  Then buy the one that matches the file.

My first time round I bought an Enhanced display and could not find the right file.  Ultimately I did find a file, though by that time I went and bought the basic version before I did.  I now have an extra 2.8 inch display that I am targeting for another project.

I could not find the ASIN B08HD69NP6 on Amazon.  The closest is the one that I listed above.

Hope this helps.
73
Evan
AC9TU

David KK7SS

On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 04:44 PM, Evan Hand wrote:
ASIN B07Q36RBV2
Evan,

Thank you very much.
I'll order tomorrow  :-)

--
Dave KK7SS

Rene

Okay David, now in English, i bought mine on Ali, original Nextion 2.8 for 16 dollars, sometimes you find a cheaper 1. I have installed it and its great. Only problem is that after making an christal ocillator, the radio is about 250 hz out of line. I find i difficult to change some freq's on the uBit manager, but that is cause of my bad English. So maybe better before install the Nextion, to line out the radio until you think its perfect.
Regards,
Rene
Netherlands