Topics

Diagnostic software for uBitx #ubitx

John (vk2eta)

Yes you can be Hans. It is a great idea.

73, John (VK2ETA)

Skip Davis

Have you checked out the Elecraft K2 it also has built in test equipment, it is used for build a stage/test a stage construction. These are great additions to kits for constructors and keeps the work bench clear of more clutter of wires and such.

Skip Davis, NC9O

On Apr 29, 2018, at 01:44, Hans Summers <hans.summers@...> wrote:

Hi all

> So far I have to say the Han's QCX concept is really
> neat. It uses 6 passive components and provides an
> on-board DC, AC/RF meter, RF power meter, frequency
> meter and signal generator. Brilliant.
>
> That coupled with the measuring functions pre-loaded
> in software and an expected list of values seems the
> best value for money in debugging a radio's circuit
> and wiring.

Thanks for the nice comments about the built-in test equipment and alignment procedures in the QCX transceiver kit http://qrp-labs.com/qcx ! At the time I developed these features I had no idea that they would create so much excitement.

I had never seen a kit with built-in test and alignment equipment before. But I have personally in the past have built kits or projects, and got all the way to the end - only to find what seems like a very complex alignment procedure, or I need some other piece of test equipment for it - and relegated the kit to the shelf for seemingly infinite postponement.

The QCX concept was originally designed for the YOTA 2017 summercamp buildathon hosted in UK by RSGB in August last year. I could imagine a room full of youngsters finishing the assembly and getting stuck for want of equipment to use for an adjustment procedure... or fighting over one set of equipment the organizers had brought along for the purpose. How much nicer, to have all the equipment built-in, along with firmware assistance to guide you easily through the process! In the QCX it's a Band Pass Filter peaking adjustment, then the I-Q balance and phasing adjustment to get best unwanted sideband suppression. It makes alignment simple. Literally just a few minutes is all it takes to adjust it for around 60dB unwanted sideband cancellation.

Once that far... It was a relatively small further thought step to say, well why not add the DVM (which can later be jumpered to the power supply input to allow an on-screen battery icon, useful for portable use!), RF Power meter, frequency counter and signal generator. It took very few additional components to add these, which are useful if the assembly needs debugging, and even just for general purpose use in the shack.

I'm really happy these built-in test and alignment equupment features have turned out so popular!

73 Hans G0UPL

Jerry Gaffke

Here's a few other threads of note:
    https://groups.io/g/BITX20/topic/diy_oscilloscope/9617301
    https://groups.io/g/BITX20/message/32630
    https://groups.io/g/BITX20/message/32675

Adding SA612's and AD8307's to the uBitx would add a couple bucks to the cost.
However, adding pads for said parts to some corner of the back of the board would not,
perhaps hfsignals could have an ordering option to include those parts in the baggie.

Tim Gorman

Heathkit used to do this with some of its kits oh so many years ago.
Then the concept seemed to disappear into the ether.

Congrats to you for newly discovering the concept again. It is a
concept that is of huge benefit to the newcomer to electronics that
doesn't have the resources to build up a test bench right off.

tim ab0wr

On Sun, 29 Apr 2018 05:44:30 +0000
[...]

http://qrp-labs.com

Jon EA2SN

Folks,
I didn't know Heatkit had that on their kits, but I know for sure that the Elecraft
K2 had some diagnostics on firmware, and the Open QRP concept by K1EL
and others was built step by step with most of its functions tested with its
own microprocessor.
Hans, with his QCX, has done another leap, as he usually does... :-)
jon, ea2sn