From: flatpickn via groups.io <flatpickn@...>
To: BITX20@groups.io
Sent: Mon, Jul 6, 2020 12:23 pm
Subject: [BITX20] D hole plate to fit SO-239 bulkhead hole - SO-239 to BNC conversion

Does anyone know of a source for these?

I used to buy these from Oak Hills Research, however with Marshal Em's passing you can not order from OHR.

It is just a plate with 4 screw holes spaced to match an SO-239 bulkhead fitting and a d-hole in the middle to fit a BNC bulkhead.
There are other ways to handle this conversion but boy does that little plate make it easy.

Arv Evans

If you have a machinist friend it would be fairly easy for him/her to
make a D-hole Punch for thin aluminum plate.  Remember old bolt-
driven chassis punches.  Same thing works for punching D-holes.

Arv
_._

On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 10:38 AM Mike Czuhajewski via groups.io <wa8mcq=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
I make my own from scrap aluminum sheet. They have a regular hole in the center instead of a d-hole but as long as the BNC connector has a lock washer and is tightened down properly I have never had a problem. Having the d-hole is not absolutely essential.

I used to buy these from Oak Hills Research, however with Marshal Em's passing you can not order from OHR.

It is just a plate with 4 screw holes spaced to match an SO-239 bulkhead fitting and a d-hole in the middle to fit a BNC bulkhead.
There are other ways to handle this conversion but boy does that little plate make it easy.

MVS Sarma

Perfect practical approach.

On Mon, 6 Jul 2020, 10:08 pm Mike Czuhajewski via groups.io, <wa8mcq=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
I make my own from scrap aluminum sheet. They have a regular hole in the center instead of a d-hole but as long as the BNC connector has a lock washer and is tightened down properly I have never had a problem. Having the d-hole is not absolutely essential.

I used to buy these from Oak Hills Research, however with Marshal Em's passing you can not order from OHR.

It is just a plate with 4 screw holes spaced to match an SO-239 bulkhead fitting and a d-hole in the middle to fit a BNC bulkhead.
There are other ways to handle this conversion but boy does that little plate make it easy.

flatpickn@...

Arv,

I've considered making my own. I have a drill press and an arbor press. I've got a good set of greenlee hole punches (the bolt driven punches) but none that are d hole or that small (I think my smallest is 1/2"). I believe greenlee does make d hole punches.

I wonder if Marshal had these fabricated.

Thanks

Tom
w9kkq

Arv Evans

Tom

I looked at what it might take to make a D-hole punch.  Seems that a 1/2 inch
Grade-8 bolt could be turned to the desired diameter and one side ground flat
to make the D part.  Then turn the end down further and thread it to serve as
the puller threaded part.  The socket end could be drilled smaller than the
D-section of the punch and filed to size and shape, with a thru-hole for the
threaded part of the puller.

Not really a machinist here, but little metal projects do intrigue me.

Arv
_._

On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 10:55 AM flatpickn via groups.io <flatpickn=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Arv,

I've considered making my own. I have a drill press and an arbor press. I've got a good set of greenlee hole punches (the bolt driven punches) but none that are d hole or that small (I think my smallest is 1/2"). I believe greenlee does make d hole punches.

I wonder if Marshal had these fabricated.

Thanks

Tom
w9kkq

Patrick Ridge

On Monday, July 6, 2020, 12:23:15 PM MDT, Arv Evans <arvid.evans@...> wrote:

[...]

Gary Anderson

For your conversion consideration,
BNC female panel mount with 0.72" holes on center are not common but do exist.
https://www.rfparts.com/connectors/connectors-bnc/bnc-panelpcb/rfb1115-14.html

Rgds,
Gary

Bob Lunsford

Harbor Freight used to sell a Deep Throat Metal Punch which would make an easy job of this. I have one but they no longer offer this hand tool. It can be done with a drill press but safety precautions must be observed. An alternative is socket knockout punch kit at $23.99 for the large hole.

On Monday, July 6, 2020, 12:23:47 PM EDT, flatpickn via groups.io <flatpickn@...> wrote:

Does anyone know of a source for these?

I used to buy these from Oak Hills Research, however with Marshal Em's passing you can not order from OHR.

It is just a plate with 4 screw holes spaced to match an SO-239 bulkhead fitting and a d-hole in the middle to fit a BNC bulkhead.
There are other ways to handle this conversion but boy does that little plate make it easy.

Bob Lunsford

You can also form a kind of D-shaped hole by using a center punch and mashing out the edge of the hole with a series of three holes or so at one point, squeezing out the hole to fit the socket. Or, and this is just as good, put a star washer between the socket and the hole and use a flat washer under the nut to make sure the socket is firmly anchored in the hole. I would rather do it this way if I had no way of forming the D-shape.

Bob — KK5R

On Monday, July 6, 2020, 12:44:32 PM EDT, Arv Evans <arvid.evans@...> wrote:

[...]

Bill Cromwell

Hi,

I have used some of the chassis mount BNCs as shown here. I have used plan A and installed 'hole mount' BNCs with the lockwasher and tightened them enough to hold. I have also used plan B and drilled or punched an undersize hole for the hole mount BNC and then nibbled & filed it to finished size and shape. Plan B is tedious (I use steel) but not too bad for one now and then. Not two in the same year <evil grin>. I do use steel in my homebrew projects but I have had ti install a through hole BNC in existing aluminum equipment and then I had to use plan B above with a starter hole and the nibbler and file. The aluminum seems too soft for a round hole.

73,

Bill KU8H

bark less - wag more

On 7/6/20 3:04 PM, Patrick Ridge via groups.io wrote:
One piece - ready made...
BNC Female Chassis Mount Connector - Square <https://www.showmecables.com/bnc-female-chassis-mount-connector-square?gclid=Cj0KCQjwl4v4BRDaARIsAFjATPmQb5bC3jKUz0T33_v0jRCi5sXJgorQQqrp1yid64B3QjMIvzk8wtMaAiDkEALw_wcB>

BNC Female Chassis Mount Connector - Square
1 Piece | Female | Nickel Plated | Crimp Type | Chassis Mount
<https://www.showmecables.com/bnc-female-chassis-mount-connector-square?gclid=Cj0KCQjwl4v4BRDaARIsAFjATPmQb5bC3jKUz0T33_v0jRCi5sXJgorQQqrp1yid64B3QjMIvzk8wtMaAiDkEALw_wcB>
Alan
ae0ix
On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 10:55 AM flatpickn via groups.io <http://groups.io> <flatpickn=yahoo.com@groups.io <mailto:yahoo.com@groups.io>> wrote:
Arv,
I've considered making my own. I have a drill press and an arbor
press. I've got a good set of greenlee hole punches (the bolt driven
punches) but none that are d hole or that small (I think my smallest
is 1/2"). I believe greenlee does make d hole punches.
I wonder if Marshal had these fabricated.
Thanks
Tom
w9kkq

Rick Green

If you chose to go the drill route, I highly recommend a 'step drill' for thin sheet metal. Regular twist drills have a nasty tendency to grab and send the maretial spinning. If your hands survive the encounter, you end up with a ragged hole anyway.

Rather than the single-hole mount BNC, why not just use a square-flange BNC? an adapter plate is only cosmetic, you can file the SO239 mounting holes into four short radial slots and mount the BNC directly.

Rick Green, N8BJX

On Mon, 6 Jul 2020, Bob Lunsford via groups.io wrote:

Harbor Freight used to sell a Deep Throat Metal Punch which would make an easy job of this. I have one but they no longer offer this hand tool. It can be done with a drill press but
safety precautions must be observed. An alternative is socket knockout punch kit at $23.99 for the large hole.
https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=knockout%20punch%20kit
Bob — KK5R
On Monday, July 6, 2020, 12:23:47 PM EDT, flatpickn via groups.io <flatpickn=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Does anyone know of a source for these?
I used to buy these from Oak Hills Research, however with Marshal Em's passing you can not order from OHR.
It is just a plate with 4 screw holes spaced to match an SO-239 bulkhead fitting and a d-hole in the middle to fit a BNC bulkhead.
There are other ways to handle this conversion but boy does that little plate make it easy.[IMAGE][IMAGE]
--
Rick Green

We, the People of the United States of America, reject the U.S. Supreme Court's
Citizens United ruling, and move to amend our Constitution to firmly establish
that money is not speech, and that human beings, not corporations, are persons
entitled to constitutional rights.

http://www.MoveToAmend.org

Bob Lunsford

At $3.92, it looks like a good deal to me.

Have to have a hole in the receiving chassis/panel same size as for an SO-239 but if the mounting flange is to be located behind the mounting surface, a hole only the size to pass the BNC connector would be needed.

Bob — KK5R

On Monday, July 6, 2020, 3:05:28 PM EDT, Patrick Ridge via groups.io <apm80814@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Rick,

I drill thin sheet metal clamped to a wooden block that is mounted in a vise. I am not going to slice a finger(s) open. The times I used the nibbler and files to make the D hole there was no room for the flange mount on the pre-existing equipment. It's a real pain doing it that way.

73,

Bill KU8H

bark less - wag more

On 7/6/20 4:17 PM, Rick Green wrote:
If you chose to go the drill route, I highly recommend a 'step drill' for thin sheet metal.  Regular twist drills have a nasty tendency to grab and send the maretial spinning. If your hands survive the encounter, you end up with a ragged hole anyway.
Rather than the single-hole mount BNC, why not just use a square-flange BNC? an adapter plate is only cosmetic, you can file the SO239 mounting holes into four short radial slots and mount the BNC directly.
Rick Green, N8BJX

Rick Green

On Mon, 6 Jul 2020, Bob Lunsford via groups.io wrote:

At $3.92, it looks like a good deal to me.
BNC Female Chassis Mount Connector - Square
The mounting flange on those is smaller than a SO239, with closer hole spacing, so the existing mounting holes for the SO239 must be elongated into radial slots in order to mount the BNC.

--
Rick Green N8BJX

We, the People of the United States of America, reject the U.S. Supreme Court's
Citizens United ruling, and move to amend our Constitution to firmly establish
that money is not speech, and that human beings, not corporations, are persons
entitled to constitutional rights.

http://www.MoveToAmend.org

Bob Lunsford

The hole in the SO-234 flange has to be reamed/drilled out unless you go to small hardware. I have also used screws that were forced into the hole so no nut was necessary.

Many connectors have as many methods of mounting as there are options for making it easier or a more secure mounting. Even pop rivets can be used but this often leaves the possibility of a bad ground connection developing later as was sometimes found on cheap CB SWR/Wattmeters sold years ago. One more thing to keep in mind. I often run a [short] ground jumper from the connector to a good ground but if good/plated star lockwashers are used and if the hardware is adequately tightened, this possibility can be put out of mind.

Bob — KK5R

On Monday, July 6, 2020, 4:45:45 PM EDT, Rick Green <rtg@...> wrote:

On Mon, 6 Jul 2020, Bob Lunsford via groups.io wrote:

> At $3.92, it looks like a good deal to me.
>
> BNC Female Chassis Mount Connector - Square

  The mounting flange on those is smaller than a SO239, with closer hole
spacing, so the existing mounting holes for the SO239 must be elongated into
radial slots in order to mount the BNC.

  --
Rick Green  N8BJX

We, the People of the United States of America, reject the U.S. Supreme Court's
  Citizens United ruling, and move to amend our Constitution to firmly establish
  that money is not speech, and that human beings, not corporations, are persons
                        entitled to constitutional rights.

            http://www.MoveToAmend.org

Lawrence Galea

On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 10:59 PM Bob Lunsford via groups.io <nocrud222=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
The hole in the SO-234 flange has to be reamed/drilled out unless you go to small hardware. I have also used screws that were forced into the hole so no nut was necessary.

Many connectors have as many methods of mounting as there are options for making it easier or a more secure mounting. Even pop rivets can be used but this often leaves the possibility of a bad ground connection developing later as was sometimes found on cheap CB SWR/Wattmeters sold years ago. One more thing to keep in mind. I often run a [short] ground jumper from the connector to a good ground but if good/plated star lockwashers are used and if the hardware is adequately tightened, this possibility can be put out of mind.

Bob — KK5R

On Monday, July 6, 2020, 4:45:45 PM EDT, Rick Green <rtg@...> wrote:

On Mon, 6 Jul 2020, Bob Lunsford via groups.io wrote:

> At $3.92, it looks like a good deal to me.
>
> BNC Female Chassis Mount Connector - Square

  The mounting flange on those is smaller than a SO239, with closer hole
spacing, so the existing mounting holes for the SO239 must be elongated into
radial slots in order to mount the BNC.

  --
Rick Green  N8BJX

We, the People of the United States of America, reject the U.S. Supreme Court's
  Citizens United ruling, and move to amend our Constitution to firmly establish
  that money is not speech, and that human beings, not corporations, are persons
                        entitled to constitutional rights.

            http://www.MoveToAmend.org

Bob Lunsford

The first suggested option was less than $4 which to me is the better way to go UNLESS the flange is hobgobbled and not plated professionally. Seems there is a price to everything, though, an indication of the true value of the Dollar.

Bob — KK5R

On Monday, July 6, 2020, 5:13:48 PM EDT, Lawrence Galea <9h1avlaw@...> wrote:

On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 10:59 PM Bob Lunsford via groups.io <nocrud222=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
The hole in the SO-234 flange has to be reamed/drilled out unless you go to small hardware. I have also used screws that were forced into the hole so no nut was necessary.

Many connectors have as many methods of mounting as there are options for making it easier or a more secure mounting. Even pop rivets can be used but this often leaves the possibility of a bad ground connection developing later as was sometimes found on cheap CB SWR/Wattmeters sold years ago. One more thing to keep in mind. I often run a [short] ground jumper from the connector to a good ground but if good/plated star lockwashers are used and if the hardware is adequately tightened, this possibility can be put out of mind.

Bob — KK5R

On Monday, July 6, 2020, 4:45:45 PM EDT, Rick Green <rtg@...> wrote:

On Mon, 6 Jul 2020, Bob Lunsford via groups.io wrote:

> At $3.92, it looks like a good deal to me.
>
> BNC Female Chassis Mount Connector - Square

  The mounting flange on those is smaller than a SO239, with closer hole
spacing, so the existing mounting holes for the SO239 must be elongated into
radial slots in order to mount the BNC.

  --
Rick Green  N8BJX

We, the People of the United States of America, reject the U.S. Supreme Court's
  Citizens United ruling, and move to amend our Constitution to firmly establish
  that money is not speech, and that human beings, not corporations, are persons
                        entitled to constitutional rights.

            http://www.MoveToAmend.org

flatpickn@...

Patrick,

The base on that one is too small. The SO-239 has a plate that is one inch square with the small holes about 3/4" apart.The base on the bnc you show is only about 3/4" square.

Gary,

That's a good answer. At $6 a pop, ouch. But it's workable. Marshal sold 2 plates and 2 bnc connectors for $7.50. Still not cheap but better than $12 a pair. If I am not wanting to spend time out in the shop (no heat or air) purchasing them as a unit would be the way to go.

I bought a piece of 1" x 1/8" flat bar today. I can cut it up repeatably on the bandsaw. Then build a jig with two fences and a clamp to safely drill the holes on the drill press. Although, filing the D just takes forever. 1/8 aluminum won't be as bad as steel though. I only need three right now but I'll probably make 5.

Thanks to W9THC, he lead me down some search paths where I figured out that a blank Neutric panel might fit. And you can buy them with the d hole already in them. Although, all that I have found on the net so far are made of plastic, but I'll keep looking.

Bob, those knock out punches are nice, but they're too big for what we're talking about. I have a similiar set of Greenlees that I picked up used here and there. The D for a bnc is about 3/8" and 1/4" would be about right if your going to file the D. I did look for D panel punches, they run over $200 new. That means they'll be $100 or better on the used market.

Thanks

Tom
w9kkq

Bob Lunsford

Tom, when I worked for the government, we had the D-shaped punches but I never wondered at what price they came to us. $200 I can believe, all things considered. Even $100 is a bone-cruncher for me for something I may use a half-dozen times.

I'll use the star lock washer and use a flat washer under the nut. I will then crank down on the nut and assume the connector will never have to come off. If anyone did this followed by a drop of super glue AFTER super tightening, I'd have to go looking for doubts that it's not coming off. For me, the simplest way to go that works has the most merit.

Bob — KK5R