Topics

CWL CWU Question

secondchancesailor

Hi folks,

I got my uBitx V6 in January, and have really been enjoying it.   I added the Nextion display and WD8CEC's software, as well as Kit Projects AGC mod.  So far everything has worked great - except for one thing.  When I try to use the CWL or CWU mode, all I get is very thin-sounding audio.  If I do find a CW signal, it is weak and high-pitched and I am unable to tune the pitch any lower without it disappearing completely.   I was hoping someone here might be able to give me some ideas as to how to fix this.

73,
Jim (w8ykg)

Evan Hand

Jim,

I would download the Memory Manager here:
https://github.com/phdlee/ubitx/releases/tag/v1.11

With the Memory Manager, you can adjust the BFO frequency for the CWL and CWU modes.  I do not use CW and am not really totally familiar with those features.  If the value is zero, I would change it to be the same as the LSB and USB Calibration values.  If non-zero, then change to zero.  Here is a screenshot of the Memory Manager:

The CWL/CWU Calibration is the value that can be changed.

73
Evan
AC9TU

secondchancesailor

Thanks for the quick reply, Evan.   I do have Memory Manager, and have used it for a few things, but have never messed with the calibration of LSB/USB or CWL/CWU.  The present values look a little strange to me, but then I have no idea where they should be (photo attached).

Evan Hand

Jim,
The values look good to me.  They will be different depending on the mainboard and the Raduino that you are using.  each combination will be different.

The Master calibration is the correction (divided by 875) to the master frequency setting the display to match what is actually received.  I always set the LSB and USB calibrations to the same value.  I have not looked in detail to see if the USB calibration is used in the software.  It seems to me to work best when checking WWV for zero beat by switching between upper and lower sideband.

By the same token, I would suggest that you change the CWL/U Calibration to the same value as the USB and LSB calibration as a starting point.  If the sound is still off, try adjusting up or down.  You can use the BFO Tuning tool to see the audio frequency response while in the CW mode.

Please let me know what you find so that I have it for future reference (One of these days I will finish my Morse code lessons).
73
Evan
AC9TU

secondchancesailor

I just now got back into the shack, and I tried setting the CW L/U to the same value as the USB Calibration.  I can hear signals in CWU/CWL now so that's a start.   This Arduino stuff is all new to me, so I really don't know what I am doing or why.  Thanks for the suggestions.