Topics

CW Menu missing CEC v1.2 Ubitx v6

Adam Allen

So I’m still totally new at the Ubitx.  I received my version 6 last week. I’ve upgraded to a 3.5 Nexion and CEC version 1.2.  I’m enjoying the firmware but mine doesn’t show a CW Keyer option in the screen menu. Does this need populated somehow? I can still access the CW settings using the encoder but from everything I’ve seen there is a CW menu in the screen menu.

I’ve tried installing v1.097. No luck.
anyone else have this issue?

Vic WA4THR

You may need to update the GUI loaded into the Nextion. I originally had V2 and it did not have the CW key menu, but found a V3 had been posted which swapped the ATT and IFS and also added the CW menu.

=Vic=

Evan Hand

Adam,

The missing CW Keyer menu button was not implemented in the Nextion 3.5" display code by KN4UD if you got your files from ubitx.net.  I do not remember the reason for not including the menu item.  It could have been that there was not enough room left in the Nextion memory to include that screen.  It could also have been that he did not see a need, as the function to change the keyer can be done through the supported "yellow box" legacy menu function.  It was not a function that I use often, so I did not dig into how to add it back.

Though ubitx.net lists version 1.097 for the Nano code, I would suggest using the latest 1.2.  The Nano code is mostly the same between the versions, though there are some errors that have been fided in the 1.2 version for SDR connections on the v5.  The issue again is in the Nextion coding, not the Nano coding.  Here is the GitHub link:
https://github.com/phdlee/ubitx/releases/tag/v1.20

The only way to get back the CW Keyer menu would be to modify the Nextion hmi file, compile and then download it to the Nextion.  If you do get an out of memory error on the compile, then you will need to cut out another screen to free up memory.  For some installs you will need to remove the Nextion to get to the microSD card.  The "standard" orientation puts the microSD card on the bottom of the Nextion and requires it to be removed from the rig.  There is an orientation choice in the configuration of the Nextion editor that allows you to flip the display so that it can be mounted with the card on the top of the display.  If you do decide to try modifying the Nextion code, I would suggest that you change the mounting and orientation so that you can insert the card without unmounting.

You can also search the internet to see if there is another tft file that more closely meets your needs, though I have not found one.

The above are based on what I have read or done.  There may be better options that I do not know of.  AS always any suggestions or corrections are welcome.
Good Luck and 73
Evan
AC9TU

Evan Hand

Adam,

I went back a searched the board messages and found this one:
https://groups.io/g/BITX20/message/67572

It has a different HMI and TFT files for the Enhanced version of the 3.5" Nextion.  It does have a different configuration screen, so you could try it.  I will be trying this version myself.

Vic,
Do you have a download location for the hmi and tft files that you are referencing?

73
Evan
AC9TU

Vic WA4THR

The update to the Nextion was concurrent with the additions for a second Arduino on the KD8CEC site:

http://www.hamskey.com/2018/08/ubitx-firmware-cec-version-1097beta.html

You'll see the links down the page.

=Vic=

Evan Hand

Vic,
I downloaded the zip file from: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zT8ovI6Uh3BRZ6yzs3HkmHddKf5TwfwN/view  extracted the files and tried to open the hmi with both the current and LTS Nextion editor.  In both cases I get a "Wrong resource file or resource file has been damaged" error.  Do you have a suggestion to correct the error?

73
Evan
AC9TU

Adam Allen

It’s working now.  Thanks everyone for the help.  I found the newer version of Nextion tft file. Made several contacts already.

Vic WA4THR

Evan, I never used the editor, and just downloaded and installed first the V2, and later the V3 GUI software to my 2.8" Nextion, so I can't speak to the problems you mention. However, the link you reference seems different to what I get following the KD8CEC links:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CpfVWastQRHWSDt_TC9Dd2PHnLdrG_9a/view
so perhaps try those?

=Vic=

Evan Hand

Thank you Vic, Those do open, however, the 3.5" basic HMI file is the 2.4" or 2.8" file size on the 3.5" screen.  That is from the Editor view.  The other links are full-screen versions, where the backgrounds were expanded, and other edits made to use the full screen.  The 2.8" version is already full screen.

Not sure why the link that I got from the HamsKey site was corrupted.  I will need to scan my computer again just to be sure I do not have an issue.

Again, Thank you for getting back to me.
73
Evan
AC9TU

Bob Bennett

Does the code upgrade address the TX/RX switching time delay? This seems to make paddle use a little difficult
--
Bob
NZ2Z

Evan Hand

Bob,
Which code upgrade?  The KD8CEC or Reed’s?

73
Evan
AC9TU