Topics

Current v5 ubitx fixes adequate?

Tech Guy

Is the current product’s spurs much better than v4? Any new features or just signal improvement?

Evan Hand

Per the ARRL September QST the uBitx v5 passes FCC requirements.  The prior versions did not.

Other than cleaning up the signal, there are only differences, not necessarily improvements in the calibration procedure.  Calibration now requires a dummy load, or else you would be transmitting on 10MHz, out of band for the US.

I do feel like I can now build the 70 watt linear for the rig that I was hesitant to do so with the prior versions.  After that will go back and work on the 2 v4 rigs that I have to get them up to speed and setup for digital.

Really fun rig, and a good platform to learn on.

The above is my opinion, others may differ and are entitled to their own.

73
Evan
AC9TU

Curt

Primary focus is lower spurious.  I myself have not seen a complete set of SSB spurious, but it is said to be in the neighborhood of compliance.  It uses a wider SSB filter, not really an improvement in my thinking but this was done to move away from some internal spurious leakage.  Functionality is unchanged.  I am a v4 owner - its a fun rig - I have all but the high frequency SSB spurious corrected.

73 Curt

Curt

I am suspicious the arrl lab evaluated harmonics but did not know to look for ssb mixer spurious. No evidence that they did.

Curt