Topics

Comparison between Ubitx versions

Mike Lichtman

I have a v3 ubitx. As far as receive and transmit abilities is there any advantage to going to v6 (other than touchscreen and appearance)? Does the v6 perform any better? My v3 has worked
without any problems. The only mods I added were a mic preamp I built in an external small case so I could use a dynamic mic. and the CEC software. 73 Mike KF6KXG

Ashhar Farhan

The radio circuit is exactly the same. If you add the spur modification, then the compliance is same as well.
Unless you like the color display stick to v3 (I do).
- f

On Wed 7 Oct, 2020, 9:38 AM Mike Lichtman via groups.io, <tchrme=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have a v3 ubitx. As far as receive and transmit abilities is there any advantage to going to v6 (other than touchscreen and appearance)? Does the v6 perform any better? My v3 has worked
without any problems. The only mods I added were a mic preamp I built in an external small case so I could use a dynamic mic. and the CEC software. 73 Mike KF6KXG

Curt

I am content with my v4. It has mods for spurious reduction.  there isn't clear concenus on which mods, suggesting we have alternatives to consider. Mine has an added relay board and shielded inductors. On the other aspects, it is up to builder. I prefer the traditional lcd for my ubitx, heresy to some. I imagine the receiving differences to not be huge.

73 curt

Evan Hand

On Tue, Oct 6, 2020 at 11:07 PM, Mike Lichtman wrote:
I have a v3 ubitx. As far as receive and transmit abilities is there any advantage to going to v6 (other than touchscreen and appearance)? Does the v6 perform any better?
Mike,
I do not have a v6, so any comments need to be taken with that information.  I do have 2 v4 and 1 v5.  Since the v5 is the same mainboard with the connectors and some controls moved to it, I think that the v4 to v5 comparison is valid.  Others with pre v5 and a v6 may have better information.

As to the receiving capability, I cannot tell any difference.  Both seem to have the same sensitivity that is comparable to my ICOM 7300.  On the v5 transmit side, the spurs and harmonics have been reduced to below US FCC requirements.  On the v4s I did the relay modifications recommended and both are now compliant for harmonics.  I have not done the spur mods, so cannot say that any of them works.

My reason for buying the v5 kit was because of the emissions corrections. I was not sure when the v5 came out that I could make the mods on the v4 board (I started with one, bought the second in case I goofed up the first, then the v5 came out) so I bought the v5.  I have no plans to purchase a v6, as the display seems less desirable than the Nextion solution provided by KD8CEC.

As long as you do not add a linear amp to your v3, then I would say you are OK operating as is, though technically your rig does not meet FCC requirements.  If you are not comfortable doing the mods yourself, then a v6 may be a good choice.

73
Evan
AC9TU

Dave Dixon

Hi All,
          I Have both the v3 and v6`1. and both running KD8CEC i bought the v6 as spares or repairs as the screen was faulty once a new 2.8 screen and KD8CEC firmware added and setup properly all is running well,i don't see any difference between my 2 V3 with 2 line lcd ,the v6 screen looks pretty.Im 100% cw and use both radios on different bands and am getting great reports.Both my bitxs are in metal cases now only as i was given 2 which were destined for the the first bitx 20s ashar brought out.the bitx20 is complete and going to be a winter project.I just completed the qcx+ and matching linear plus the auto atu being sold on ebay all 3 are in use and impressed with them all.It's amazing how many people are using the bitx a friend of mine now silent key had all the top of the range radios but preferred the bitx.Well done ashar for your hard work.Stay well safe and healthy all regards Dave G0AYD...

On Wed, 7 Oct 2020 at 05:08, Mike Lichtman via groups.io <tchrme=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have a v3 ubitx. As far as receive and transmit abilities is there any advantage to going to v6 (other than touchscreen and appearance)? Does the v6 perform any better? My v3 has worked
without any problems. The only mods I added were a mic preamp I built in an external small case so I could use a dynamic mic. and the CEC software. 73 Mike KF6KXG

Mike Lichtman

Thank you to those who responded. 73 Mike KF6KXG