Topics

CEC firmware upgrade issues...

Steven

Hi all,

First thanks for all the good advice on correctly wiring the mic. It worked and the uBitX project is progressing nicely. I made three contacts in TX,TN, and LA from VA. Every time I tune through 40 meters I hear a lot of traffic. I'm pretty happy! (I wish the CW function worked though)

Last night I upgraded to CEC FW v1.097. I was so excited to see it load. Unfortunately the results are disappointing. Now when I tune through 40 meters all I hear is light static. No traffic. Nothing. I tried to calibrate but can't get a WWV 10MHz signal.

Any suggestions? What did I miss?

Thanks,
Steven KM4WIP

Gary Anderson

Probably missed matching the firmware with your version of hardware as filters have changed in V5 of the hardware.
Are you loading the hex files or compiling/linking the source code?

Doug W

If you downgrade back to the version you were happy with do you still have the same results?  That would at least eliminate propagation changes or hardware issues.
--
www.bitxmap.com

Evan Hand

First off, what version of uBitx?  If it is not v3 or 4, then you need the 1.2 version of the CEC software.  The IF for the v5 boards is different and requires a different software version or recompile with the correct flag set in the code.

If you have a version 3 or 4, then the most likely issue is the BFO frequency is off.  The way that I do the BFO calibration is to tune to a quite frequency on the ruBitx, feed the audio outpput of the speaker through a mic to a PC running a free audio spectrum analyser software and adjust the BFO to peak be between 500 and 2,500 hertz.

You may need to go back to the WWV calibration to adjust the base frequency, as that can change.  In general 2 repeats did it for me.

Here is the link to the PC audio analyzer that I use:
http://www.techmind.org/audio/specanaly.html

73
Evan
AC9TU

Steven

I'm using the Arduino environment to upload the software. Took several attempts and only worked when I selected "old bootloader" when verifying
Steven KM4WIP

Steven

Also I have a V5 board. I'll reload the orrig software to compare.
Thanks- Steven KM4WIP

Evan Hand

The CEC v1.097 is not compatible with the v 5 board.  You need the version 1.2 or higher

Here is the Hamskey link:
http://www.hamskey.com/2019/04/release-cec-firmware-v1200-for-ubitx.html

73
Evan
AC9TU

Gary Anderson

+1 on what Evan kindly said, but I'm slow to post.  Use version 1.2 for your V5 hardware.
It should default to V5. You've already mastered most of the common stumbling blocks.

But, before one of us nice folks leads you down a rabbit hole. Save what is in the EEPROM from the factory.  If you load the CEC firmware, you can use the memory manager to read and then save the EEPROM data.  Do this before even considering going into any calibration mode. Very nice utility!

I have my own 'prior' art, but it looks like an 'od -h', LOL.

Gary Anderson

I meant +1 to Evan's help, AND I am slow to post an agreeing comment that was in draft stage.

Steven

Thanks for the suggestions. I uploaded the CECFW 1.2 for my V5 board using the arduino IDE this evening. I had to choose the ATmega328P (old Bootloader), to upload - choosing ATmega328P resulted in an error and no upload. The result? Everything seemed to upload fine. But now my screen has 16 black rectangles on the top row, and nothing else, not even static..... Hmmmm.... I must be getting close. Any more suggestions for tomorrow night's session with the uBitX?

Steven

WOO HOO!!! Happiness, joy, and smiles have rained down upon my shack. I figured out that I needed to change the version to 5, and the display from nextion to 1602 in the ubitx.h file.  I heard several 40 meter ssb voice and a strong cw sig on 7.114. That felt good. Now I have the weekend to play with and learn from this radio.Thanks all.
Steven KM4WIP

MVS Sarma

did you select 1602 in ubitx.h  at line 30 or so and deselect  nextion at line 35 or so, and save , before compiling?

all the best
sarma  vu3zmv

On Fri, Sep 6, 2019 at 6:14 AM Steven <wera106@...> wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions. I uploaded the CECFW 1.2 for my V5 board using the arduino IDE this evening. I had to choose the ATmega328P (old Bootloader), to upload - choosing ATmega328P resulted in an error and no upload. The result? Everything seemed to upload fine. But now my screen has 16 black rectangles on the top row, and nothing else, not even static..... Hmmmm.... I must be getting close. Any more suggestions for tomorrow night's session with the uBitX?

Evan Hand

I assume you downloaded the zip file from here:
https://github.com/phdlee/ubitx/releases/tag/v1.20

In it are the different versions for screens that can be used, as well as the different ways that the screen is connected to the Raduino.

From the description of the screen, I assume that you are using the stock 16x2 display, which has a parallel data input.  You need to select one of the files based on what else you will be adding.

From the uBITXV5 folder the selection would be:
http://www.hamskey.com/2018/04/various-lcd-support-in-ubitx-with.html

prefix   : UBITXV5_CEC_
Version  : Vxxxx (ex: V1.097)
LCD Type : _XXX  (ex: 16x02 Parallel = 16P, 20x04 Parallel = 20P, 20x04 I2C = 20I, Nextion LCD = NX)
Signal Meter Type (Option) : none : Analaog Meter using A7 PIN
                             _S   : I2C Signal Meter using I2C Port

UBITXV5_CEC_Vxxxxx_16P.hex    : It is the LCD equipped with uBITX. Default LCD, 16x02 Parallel LCD
UBITXV5_CEC_Vxxxxx_16P_S.hex  : _16P with I2C Meter

UBITXV5_CEC_Vxxxxx_16I.hex    : 16x02 I2C LCD
UBITXV5_CEC_Vxxxxx_16I_S.hex  : _16I with I2C Meter

UBITXV5_CEC_Vxxxxx_20P.hex    : 20x04 Parallel LCD
UBITXV5_CEC_Vxxxxx_20P_S.hex  : _20P with I2C Meter

UBITXV5_CEC_Vxxxxx_20I.hex    : 20x04 I2C LCD
UBITXV5_CEC_Vxxxxx_20I_S.hex  : _20I with I2C Meter

UBITXV5_CEC_Vxxxxx_16D.hex    : 16x02 I2C Dual LCD
UBITXV5_CEC_Vxxxxx_16D_S.hex  : _16D with I2C Meter

UBITXV5_CEC_Vxxxxx_NX.hex     : Nextion LCD
UBITXV5_CEC_Vxxxxx_NX_S.hex   : _NX with I2C Meter
I will assume that you are staying stock, and IF you want to add an S meter, it will be a direct measurement using the spare analog input pin on the Raduino, rather than through a second I2C connected Nano to do the S meter and other things.  Most of the time the second Nano is for added functionality that uses the Nextion graphic screen(s).

With those assumptions, you would need to load the UBITXV5_CEC_Vxxxxx_16P.hex filling in the xxxxx with the current version number which is 1.200.

Hope this helps.
73
Evan
AC9TU

Gary Anderson

Sharing your joy, but felt I may have mislead you by saying "It should default to V5".
I pulled a fresh copy from github this AM. It's already set-up for V5 and LCD1602P.
https://github.com/phdlee/ubitx/releases/tag/v1.20
makes me think you got your code from an alternate source, and word of caution that there may be other differences.

in ubitx.h:
// Compile Option
//Ubitx Board Version
#define UBITX_BOARD_VERSION 5           //v1 ~ v4 : 4, v5: 5

//Depending on the type of LCD mounted on the uBITX, uncomment one of the options below.
//You must select only one.
#define UBITX_DISPLAY_LCD1602P        //LCD mounted on unmodified uBITX (Parallel)