Topics

CAT with a uBITX v3

Peter LB0K

Hallo, can someone help an elmer prepare for new questions.

This may well be a question answered many times before!
But it does no harm to ask again esp. as a search gave too many possible answers.

Where / how does one attach an external PC for CAT control.

Either via a USB or an RS232 serial connection?

Peter

Evan Hand

As far as I know (I only have versions 4 and 5) all CAT control is through the USB connection on the Nano.  Looking at the v3 schematics, I would assume that this is the case for the v3.  There were some posts to move the control to a serial link to reduce the interference from the USB converter on the Nano.  With the shortage of pins, it took changing the display to a serial interface and attaching to the I2C bus with the SI5351.  Takes changing the display, modifying the code, as well as soldering onto the Raduino I2C connections.  I have not experienced the USB issue with the 3 that I have.

73
Evan
AC9TU

_Dave_ AD0B

The stock v3 firmware was not friendly to Cat control. You need kd8cec firmware v1.07 or 1.08. The factory firmware 4.3 also provides cat control . Both are free downloads. Is your radio stock?

The connection is: Nano usb to computer usb.
Dave
ADOB
Raduino bracket and Ham_Made_Keys

AndyH

Peter,

   I'm using a V3 with CAT.  As others have said, the USB connection is the one on the Arduino Nano.  I'm using the KD8CEC firmware.  It works great with WSJT-X and Winlink/Winmoor.  I'm using this cable inside the cabinet to bring USB to the back:  https://www.adafruit.com/product/3318

   73, Andy, KG5RKP