Topics

CAT on Linux OS

Bill

I run Linux 19.1 to the uBITX V5 to control WSJT-X, JS8, and Fidigi. The audio CODEC works but I am unable to get CAT control using Yaesu 817.
I tried USB0, and other ttySx settings and find NO responce.  The Terminal detects the UART 340 OK when I (lsusb).  Tried the same setting as for my Win 7 which works fine - being - 8bit, 1 stop, 38400 baud.
Any help would be appreciated
Bill K9JUI

Arv Evans

Bill K8JUI

stty [-F DEVICE | --file=DEVICE] [SETTING]...
stty [-F DEVICE | --file=DEVICE] [-a|--all]
stty [-F DEVICE | --file=DEVICE] [-g|--save]

Should let you verify the I/O settings and change them if needed.

Arv  K7HKL
_._

On Sat, Jul 20, 2019 at 1:16 PM Bill <billshamlink@...> wrote:
I run Linux 19.1 to the uBITX V5 to control WSJT-X, JS8, and Fidigi. The audio CODEC works but I am unable to get CAT control using Yaesu 817.
I tried USB0, and other ttySx settings and find NO responce.  The Terminal detects the UART 340 OK when I (lsusb).  Tried the same setting as for my Win 7 which works fine - being - 8bit, 1 stop, 38400 baud.
Any help would be appreciated
Bill K9JUI

Bill

Arv

Thanks I will give it a try

Bill K9JUI

Jeffrey Benedict

If I understand what you are trying to do, you must put yourself in the group which is authorized to use that port to get out (dial out) to devices.

See this note:

https://github.com/GoldenCheetah/GoldenCheetah/wiki/Allowing-your-linux-userid-permission-to-use-your-usb-device

HTH

Jeff
--
Jeff, K7AIL  CN87

raoul@...

Bill

Hi Jeff,
Thanks for the information IT Works - I am sure others will be helped by your suggestion also.
Not being attuned to unix commands you were a great help

Thanks Again
Bill K9JUI

Jeffrey Benedict

I have to admit that I wasn't being brilliant and didn't figure this out myself.  I had set up a Raspberry Pi with fidigi/grig and Raspbian to control an 817 according to directions I found. I was trying to figure out an answer to your question in a way that you would understand. I looked around for something which would explain the process and found the note I posted.  In Unix/Linux, many problems can be traced to permission settings. As Unix has its roots in big computers that many people use at the same time, permission to use parts of it are only allowed to certain people.   There are programs the administrators get to use and there are programs everybody gets to use. I have used Unix for a long time but I wouldn't say that I am an expert.  As with many of us, I kind of lean on the shoulders of others and contribute what I can.

Glad you got it working.

Jeff
--
Jeff, K7AIL  CN87