Topics

CAT control of uBITX

John Seboldt K0JD

I have a uBITX v3. Have seen references to firmware upgrades of a million types, and thought I saw  reference to CAT control, which would make tuning the radio via digital software possible.

Can somebody guide me through the maze of links - first off, what you do to load new firmware into it (computer software, etc). Second, a firmware version that works with v3 and enables CAT control at a minimum, and maybe some other refinements?

Thanks,

John K0JD
Milwaukee, WI

Mark Hatch

Hi,

KD8CEC's software has CAT control. You can download it via his website: http://www.hamskey.com/2019/04/release-cec-firmware-v1200-for-ubitx.html

Since you have a V3, make sure you download the one for V3.  Match it up with a Nextion screen and you will love the upgrade even more!

73
Mark
AJ6CU

John Seboldt K0JD

So I take it that you use his uBITX Manager to actually load the stuff? It seems that we have to deduce the step by step instructions. Yeah, have also seen the Nextion screens so will think about that too.

John K0JD

On 8/27/2019 16:03, Mark Hatch wrote:
Hi,

KD8CEC's software has CAT control. You can download it via his website: http://www.hamskey.com/2019/04/release-cec-firmware-v1200-for-ubitx.html

Since you have a V3, make sure you download the one for V3.  Match it up with a Nextion screen and you will love the upgrade even more!

73
Mark
AJ6CU

Doug W

On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 05:13 PM, John Seboldt K0JD wrote:
So I take it that you use his uBITX Manager to actually load the stuff? It seems that we have to deduce the step by step instructions.
John,
On the same site KD8CEC has step by step instructions.  http://www.hamskey.com/2018/01/how-to-upgrade-ubitx-firmware.html  That is written for an older version of his firmware.  Make sure you download the latest.

--
www.bitxmap.com

John Seboldt K0JD

OK, looks like I have all the info I need, just set a time and take the courage to do it! Thanks

On 8/27/2019 17:30, Doug W wrote:
On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 05:13 PM, John Seboldt K0JD wrote:
So I take it that you use his uBITX Manager to actually load the stuff? It seems that we have to deduce the step by step instructions.
John,
On the same site KD8CEC has step by step instructions.  http://www.hamskey.com/2018/01/how-to-upgrade-ubitx-firmware.html  That is written for an older version of his firmware.  Make sure you download the latest.

--
www.bitxmap.com

Mark Hatch

As far as I can tell, the only neg on the KD8CEC software is that "apparently" it does not read the encoder reliability fast enough to allow you to use a digital cnc 100ppr knob you can get on ebay for $14. There was a thread that "some ubitx firmware" read the encoder fast enough to respond to 100ppr. (check ubitx.net for a discussion on encoder).

however, for the standard encoder that comes with the ubitx kit, KD8CEC reads it fine and you will be happy.

The other thing to do the upgrader sooner than later is that on first install, KD8CEC records the criitical values (OSC, BFO, etc). You then have the ability to do a "factory reset" to these values if in the future you ever mess something up. So do the upgrade before you start "tuning"...

73
Mark
AJ6Cu

Sascha Bohnet | DL5SMB

A minor change in the KD8CECs' source code helps a lot if you want to use the cheap 100ppr encoder.
I documented what I did here

Maybe I can make a video after work, then you can see the difference between before and after the mod.

Don - KM4UDX

John -- I was in the same position. I had never updated an ardunio. But the benefits of KD8CEC's stuff was utterly compelling. So off the cliff I went. The "use case" for me was:
I was inept at the push button menu system in the stock firmware and yearned for a PC-type interface.
I wanted a bigger nextion screen (which is totally dreamy by the way)
Most of all I wanted to run wsjtx and fldigi, and CAT control was required for the digital mode operation.

To load the CEC firmware, you do not use memory manger. You use a little app that burns/updates/replaces/etc. the firmware into the aruduio.  For folks who work with aruduio's and the like, this is second nature. Totally natural like cream in the coffee.  For the rest of us. it is a total freak out.  You put the CEC firmware into the ubitx with a usb cable between the laptop and the min usb port on the arudio, and then use a tool like   XLoader.exe  to do the burn/update/replacement.  I was 100% sure I would destroy my beloved uBIX and create unfathomable and unrecoverable errors. But it worked fine after I solved the usual windows com port challenges.

AFter XLoader has run and done the update, then tools like memory manager give you the pc like interface to the ubix.  Which is a revelation.  All the internal ubitx parameters are VERY easy to see and update. At last.

Good luck and have fun.

Don
km4udx

Mark Hatch

Sascha,

Thanks! When I get back to my ubitx (new 3d printer toy...), that will be the first thing!

Have both a 100ppr and a 24ppr.

73
Mark
AJ6CU

Sascha Bohnet | DL5SMB

Hi Mark,

I made a small video this morning. Here  you can see the behaviour after the code modification.

If you just change the encoders without changing the code, you get this behaviour

Sascha

Mark Hatch

Sascha,

Yes, the behavior you showed of what happens without the code change is exactly what I saw.... That is why I then tried a 24ppr, and that was only a little bit better. Went on the shelf until now.

The only issue is whether a Nextion based KD8CEC system will introduce any issues. Well, we will find out when I try it. Perhaps this weekend. Will let you know how it works for me.

73
Mark
AJ6CU