Topics

calibrating ubitx to www

terryhugheskirkcudbrifght@...

hi
the cec manual describes calibrating to www on 10 m hz but i can only hear www on 15 m hz

is there a way , pehaps by editing the cec code to use 15 m hz instead of 10 m hz

terry gm4dso

terryhugheskirkcudbrifght@...

hi
bit more info

i tuned into www on 15 mhz and the frequency display said 14.995800

it did not change in usb, cwl and cwh but i could not hear it on lsb

terry gm4dso

_Dave_ K0MBT

Personally I don't like to calibrate on wwv. I never seem to get it right and end up zero beating on an audio tone. I usually find a stronger shortwave broadcast with voice only. In theory wwv is probably more accurate. I also use headphones when zerobeating as the low frequency response is much better than the speaker.

The main reason that I have switched to the kd8cec firmware as it doesn't move the frequency scale to 10mhz.

I listen to both sides of the sideband alternately. It gets interesting if you have to vary the vfo too much as it moves the bfo off considerable and the sensitivity goes way down. One of my used radios that I bought had the bfo set to the wrong side of the carrier and there was a lot of attenuation going on. He thought that there was an issue with the receiver circuit. As a matter of fact two of my radios purchased use had almost identical operator error.

There are a lot of hams that pretty well panic when the radio doesn't work. It is broke or trashed in their minds. Yet these are many of the same operators who will change circuitry, displays and firmware on their radio before they even turn it on. I like many, test with it stock then change one thing and retest. To my understanding the radio boards are 100 percent tested for function before they leave India. 4 of 5 of the BITX radios that I got were in not running condition purchased used.

Am not being critical of the radio, I really love them. Between my wife (N0BEX) and I, we have somehow ended up with 4 uBITX and one BITX40.

It is a bit concerting to see the list traffic fall off recently. Maybe it is just summer.

terryhugheskirkcudbrifght@...

hi
what radio station did you use and how do you calibrate the ubitx

the calibrate option on the menu only seems to work for www on 10 mhz

terry gm4dso

Tom, wb6b

Hi,

Unless the firmware has been changed from when I calibrated my uBITX you can tune around to find another signal to calibrate on. There is another member in the group that pointed out the higher the frequency used to calibrate to the better. So, 15 MHz would be an improvement.

When I was a kid, using WWB to zero beat to was easy. Now days, with all the various modulations added to their carrier, it is much more difficult to figure out just when you have obtained zero beat. It can be done with some practice, but still may take several attempts to get it right.

Tom, wb6b

Tom, wb6b

On Sat, Jul 27, 2019 at 09:00 AM, Tom, wb6b wrote:
using WWB to zero beat to was easy.
That should be WWV.

Tom, wb6b

terryhugheskirkcudbrifght@...

hi tom

are you using kd8cec firmware or the original cos it seems that the cec firmware only allows 10 m hz www

i may have to reload the original firm ware

the problem is here in the uk 10 m hz is not heard 15 mhz www is just about audible

terry gm4dso

terryhugheskirkcudbrifght@...

hi again
i have just heard www on 10 m hz and the dial frequency was 10 m hz so all ok

band must have changed

i am still interested to know which version of the firmware you use

terry
gm4dso

Tom, wb6b

On Sat, Jul 27, 2019 at 09:35 AM, <terryhugheskirkcudbrifght@...> wrote:
are you using kd8cec firmware or the original
Currently I use an older version of the CEC firmware, just before the Nextion display support was added.

I originally calibrated my uBITX with the factory firmware. I believe I did some additional calibrations by changing values with the CEC firmware or the "Memory Manager" utility. But that was long enough ago that I don't recall exactly.

Tom, wb6b

terryhugheskirkcudbrifght@...

hi
i have calibrated mu ubitx to a medium wave station on 1485.k hz

can anybody confirm that it will be good calibrated up to 40 metre

i cannot hear www on 10 m hz

terry gm4dso

Don - KM4UDX

This is soooo embarrassing. I did exactly precisely as Dave describes. I attempted to tweak calibration/BFO, screwed it up, made the radio useless, and blamed the radio.

After meeting myself on the battlefield of self inflicted stupidity, I've learned to assume the worst about the operator.  I'm rarely disappointed.

I got back to "operational", but not without a lot of trial and error, with emphasis on the error. Thank goodness for memory managers (MM).  Using MM the cycle time to tweak/observe/evaluate/repeat was reduced to seconds. Even I could fix my own screwups with enough trial cycles done quickly.

My uBITX is now fully functional and wonderful. But not really due to me. hahaha.

Don
km4udx