Topics

Cal Fire Moves to Dismantle Ham Radio System,EndangeringLives Amid Blackouts and Wildfires | Trending

Joe Puma

It’s amazing how news travels ala word of mouth or for the internet, social media gossip.  

This is what I originally read, then heard conflicting stories. I’m glad I hold reservations to anything I digest over the internet.

https://offgridsurvival.com/california-officials-declare-ham-radio-no-longer-a-benefit/

Joe

KD2NFC

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2019 11:01 AM
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BITX20] Cal Fire Moves to Dismantle Ham Radio System,EndangeringLives Amid Blackouts and Wildfires | Trending

No, it's not a hoax and the ARRL has info posted on it:

ARRL officials who have also looked into the situation agree that it’s been blown out of proportion by parties with their own agendas.

“The State of California has not made any determination we can find ‘that Ham Radio [is] no longer a benefit,’” Pacific Division Director Jim Tiemstra, K6JAT, is quoted on the Sacramento Valley Section website. “What happened is that CAL FIRE has transferred responsibility for its communications sites to its property management department. That department has the task of evaluating each site, its condition, use, and tenants. If a repeater not known to be associated with the emergency management function of a local jurisdiction is found in a CAL FIRE vault, the default action is to move it out or subject it to commercial rental rates.”

“Our contact in the California Office of Emergency Services suggests that, if any affected repeater is in any way involved with local emergency or government support activity, they should ask that agency to engage with CAL FIRE concerning the repeater. If the agency makes the case, there is a good chance that the repeater will be unaffected,” Tiemstra added.

ARRL Southwestern Division Director Dick Norton, N6AA, has been responding to inquiries with the same message.

I find the section in yellow particularly nettlesome because it looks like a state-agency pissing contest is brewing and that is almost never good for the party in the middle.

Jack, W8TEE

On Wednesday, October 16, 2019, 10:55:23 AM EDT, Joe Puma <kd2nfc@...> wrote:

Hi Jack,

I read that exact article and similar others on the web was a hoax. I really don’t want to dig up where I read this info, it was on other email lists or maybe even Facebook, but I did hear that this info was a hoax.

Joe

Kd2nfc

Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2019 10:43 AM
Subject: Re: [BITX20] Cal Fire Moves to Dismantle Ham Radio System,Endangering Lives Amid Blackouts and Wildfires | Trending

I think you're wrong, Ken. Just because it doesn't directly pertain to someone in Europe doesn't mean those in the US--a fairly large number, BTW--shouldn't hear about it. I'm assuming that those who are not interested in the thread are smart enough not to read it. Also, the US is replete with examples of "one state" setting precedent for other states to follow. Nipping that trend in the bud is often critical and, to do that, one needs to know about the gathering clouds on the horizon.

I don't apologize for the posting and see it as keeping fellow hams informed about something that might bite them in the butt down the road.

Jack, W8TEE

On Tuesday, October 15, 2019, 11:01:42 PM EDT, Ken Hansen <ken@...> wrote:

As an international mail list (reflector) threads like this don't belong here.

It's specific to one state of one country, and there are literally dozens of more suitable venues than this for any discussion of this subject.

How does the policy of CalFire in California, USA Regarding repeater space on public land n the state of California impact the Lithuanian trying to assemble an HF station based on a uBitx or Bitx40?

It doesn't.

Ken, N2VIP

On Oct 15, 2019, at 16:35, Arv Evans <arvid.evans@...> wrote:

--
Jack, W8TEE

--
Jack, W8TEE

Terence Taylor

This is a tempest in a teapot. Please see the below information from our section manager:

The State of California has not made any determination we can find "that Ham Radio [is] no longer a benefit. "What happened is that CAL FIRE has transferred responsibility for its communications sites to its property management department.  That department has the task of evaluating each site, its condition, use and tenants.  If a repeater not known to be associated with the emergency management function of a local jurisdiction is found in a CAL FIRE vault, the default action is to move it out or subject it to commercial rental rates.
Our contact in the California Office of Emergency Services suggests that, if any affected repeater is in any way involved with local emergency or government support activity, they should ask that agency to engage with CAL FIRE concerning the repeater.  If the agency makes the case, there is a good chance that the repeater will be unaffected.

On Wednesday, October 16, 2019, 8:29:19 AM PDT, Joe Puma <kd2nfc@...> wrote:

It’s amazing how news travels ala word of mouth or for the internet, social media gossip.  

This is what I originally read, then heard conflicting stories. I’m glad I hold reservations to anything I digest over the internet.

https://offgridsurvival.com/california-officials-declare-ham-radio-no-longer-a-benefit/

Joe

KD2NFC

Subject: Re: [BITX20] Cal Fire Moves to Dismantle Ham Radio System,EndangeringLives Amid Blackouts and Wildfires | Trending

ARRL officials who have also looked into the situation agree that it’s been blown out of proportion by parties with their own agendas.

“The State of California has not made any determination we can find ‘that Ham Radio [is] no longer a benefit,’” Pacific Division Director Jim Tiemstra, K6JAT, is quoted on the Sacramento Valley Section website. “What happened is that CAL FIRE has transferred responsibility for its communications sites to its property management department. That department has the task of evaluating each site, its condition, use, and tenants. If a repeater not known to be associated with the emergency management function of a local jurisdiction is found in a CAL FIRE vault, the default action is to move it out or subject it to commercial rental rates.”

“Our contact in the California Office of Emergency Services suggests that, if any affected repeater is in any way involved with local emergency or government support activity, they should ask that agency to engage with CAL FIRE concerning the repeater. If the agency makes the case, there is a good chance that the repeater will be unaffected,” Tiemstra added.

ARRL Southwestern Division Director Dick Norton, N6AA, has been responding to inquiries with the same message.

I find the section in yellow particularly nettlesome because it looks like a state-agency pissing contest is brewing and that is almost never good for the party in the middle.

Jack, W8TEE

Hi Jack,

I read that exact article and similar others on the web was a hoax. I really don’t want to dig up where I read this info, it was on other email lists or maybe even Facebook, but I did hear that this info was a hoax.

Joe

Kd2nfc

Subject: Re: [BITX20] Cal Fire Moves to Dismantle Ham Radio System,Endangering Lives Amid Blackouts and Wildfires | Trending

I think you're wrong, Ken. Just because it doesn't directly pertain to someone in Europe doesn't mean those in the US--a fairly large number, BTW--shouldn't hear about it. I'm assuming that those who are not interested in the thread are smart enough not to read it. Also, the US is replete with examples of "one state" setting precedent for other states to follow. Nipping that trend in the bud is often critical and, to do that, one needs to know about the gathering clouds on the horizon.

I don't apologize for the posting and see it as keeping fellow hams informed about something that might bite them in the butt down the road.

Jack, W8TEE

It's specific to one state of one country, and there are literally dozens of more suitable venues than this for any discussion of this subject.

How does the policy of CalFire in California, USA Regarding repeater space on public land n the state of California impact the Lithuanian trying to assemble an HF station based on a uBitx or Bitx40?

It doesn't.

Ken, N2VIP

--
Jack, W8TEE

--
Jack, W8TEE

Jack, W8TEE

...which is exactly what my quoted material says. Transferring the responsibility to another agency begs the question: "Why?" Note how COES is passing the buck in your quote below and one should be asking why? If I were living in CA, I'd think this is a very BIG teapot. If I lived in OR or ID, I'd still see it as a huge teapot. From a legal precedent standpoint, I think all hams in any state who face similar leasing controls should be concerned, especially since the general public probably doesn't see or understand what's going on.

Jack, W8TEE

On Wednesday, October 16, 2019, 3:07:37 PM EDT, Terence Taylor <n6mon@...> wrote:

This is a tempest in a teapot. Please see the below information from our section manager:

The State of California has not made any determination we can find "that Ham Radio [is] no longer a benefit. "What happened is that CAL FIRE has transferred responsibility for its communications sites to its property management department.  That department has the task of evaluating each site, its condition, use and tenants.  If a repeater not known to be associated with the emergency management function of a local jurisdiction is found in a CAL FIRE vault, the default action is to move it out or subject it to commercial rental rates.
Our contact in the California Office of Emergency Services suggests that, if any affected repeater is in any way involved with local emergency or government support activity, they should ask that agency to engage with CAL FIRE concerning the repeater.  If the agency makes the case, there is a good chance that the repeater will be unaffected.

On Wednesday, October 16, 2019, 8:29:19 AM PDT, Joe Puma <kd2nfc@...> wrote:

Joe

KD2NFC

Jack, W8TEE

Hi Jack,

Joe

Kd2nfc

Jack, W8TEE

It doesn't.

Ken, N2VIP

--
Jack, W8TEE

--
Jack, W8TEE

--
Jack, W8TEE

Ken Hansen

Jack,

When this topic came up here in Texas on the local ARRL section mail list/reflector, I encouraged everyone that is engaged in EmComm to take this opportunity to reach out to their serviced agencies and organizations and ensure everyone understand the needs and offerings of each, and that the current relationships are mutually beneficial. To me, that is the take-away from this story.

As a reminder, groups.io has a facility for 'muting' threads you are not interested in, for anyone not interested in following this, or any similar conversation. The way it works is you click on the mute link at the bottom of the message, and any subsequent replies to that email thread will not be sent to you. If someone decides to start a new thread on the same topic, you'll have to mute that thread as well to stop any responses to the new thread.

Ken, N2VIP

On Oct 16, 2019, at 15:01, Jack, W8TEE via Groups.Io <jjpurdum=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

If I were living in CA, I'd think this is a very BIG teapot. If I lived in OR or ID, I'd still see it as a huge teapot. From a legal precedent standpoint, I think all hams in any state who face similar leasing controls should be concerned, especially since the general public probably doesn't see or understand what's going on.

Jack, W8TEE

Michael Walker

This has nothing to do with Bitx... sorry

And, if you think it is, then I want to talk about my HF antenna that hooks up to my BITX.

Can we kill this and take it elsewhere as this is a world wide group and not all of us live in California or even the US.

Mike va3mw

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 7:15 PM Ken Hansen <ken@...> wrote:
Jack,

When this topic came up here in Texas on the local ARRL section mail list/reflector, I encouraged everyone that is engaged in EmComm to take this opportunity to reach out to their serviced agencies and organizations and ensure everyone understand the needs and offerings of each, and that the current relationships are mutually beneficial. To me, that is the take-away from this story.

As a reminder, groups.io has a facility for 'muting' threads you are not interested in, for anyone not interested in following this, or any similar conversation. The way it works is you click on the mute link at the bottom of the message, and any subsequent replies to that email thread will not be sent to you. If someone decides to start a new thread on the same topic, you'll have to mute that thread as well to stop any responses to the new thread.

Ken, N2VIP

> On Oct 16, 2019, at 15:01, Jack, W8TEE via Groups.Io <jjpurdum=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
>
> If I were living in CA, I'd think this is a very BIG teapot. If I lived in OR or ID, I'd still see it as a huge teapot. From a legal precedent standpoint, I think all hams in any state who face similar leasing controls should be concerned, especially since the general public probably doesn't see or understand what's going on.
>
> Jack, W8TEE

Jack, W8TEE

Well, Mike, you obviously missed the point, so there's no reason to continue.

Jack, W8TEE

On Wednesday, October 16, 2019, 7:55:45 PM EDT, Michael Walker <va3mw@...> wrote:

And, if you think it is, then I want to talk about my HF antenna that hooks up to my BITX.

Can we kill this and take it elsewhere as this is a world wide group and not all of us live in California or even the US.

Mike va3mw

Jack,

Ken, N2VIP

> On Oct 16, 2019, at 15:01, Jack, W8TEE via Groups.Io <jjpurdum=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
>
> If I were living in CA, I'd think this is a very BIG teapot. If I lived in OR or ID, I'd still see it as a huge teapot. From a legal precedent standpoint, I think all hams in any state who face similar leasing controls should be concerned, especially since the general public probably doesn't see or understand what's going on.
>
> Jack, W8TEE

--
Jack, W8TEE

Christopher Miller

Why bother having a topic or moderators if its just going to be anything that has to do with amateur radio? It’s obvious that this is not related to the Bitx or uBitx. Jack, why not take it to a group where it is relevant? Sure, I can just mute this but why have rules to keep things on topic? Lets just post whatever we want and you can just deal with muting all the off topic stuff.

Chris
KF4FTR

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 7:16 PM Jack, W8TEE via Groups.Io <jjpurdum=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Jack, W8TEE

On Wednesday, October 16, 2019, 7:55:45 PM EDT, Michael Walker <va3mw@...> wrote:

Mike va3mw

Jack,

Ken, N2VIP

>
>
> Jack, W8TEE

--
Jack, W8TEE

Jack, W8TEE

I just saw it as a chance to reach several thousand hams on a subject that could impinge on most of us. I did not realize that the group's focus was that narrow.

So, I'm done.

Jack, W8TEE

On Wednesday, October 16, 2019, 10:56:53 PM EDT, Christopher Miller <djmalak2k6@...> wrote:

Why bother having a topic or moderators if its just going to be anything that has to do with amateur radio? It’s obvious that this is not related to the Bitx or uBitx. Jack, why not take it to a group where it is relevant? Sure, I can just mute this but why have rules to keep things on topic? Lets just post whatever we want and you can just deal with muting all the off topic stuff.

Chris
KF4FTR

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 7:16 PM Jack, W8TEE via Groups.Io <jjpurdum=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Jack, W8TEE

Mike va3mw

Jack,

Ken, N2VIP

>
>
> Jack, W8TEE

--
Jack, W8TEE

--
Jack, W8TEE

Christopher Miller

Jack, considering you yelled at another ham for posting in a thread you started for one of your products because the post was unrelated to your original post I would think you would understand the basic premise. You argued that it was inappropriate to distract from your product. You now argue that asking you to keep your posts to things that are on topic, thats too strict. How about you just take it to the appropriate forum?

Chris
KF4FTR

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 8:21 PM Jack, W8TEE via Groups.Io <jjpurdum=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I just saw it as a chance to reach several thousand hams on a subject that could impinge on most of us. I did not realize that the group's focus was that narrow.

So, I'm done.

Jack, W8TEE

On Wednesday, October 16, 2019, 10:56:53 PM EDT, Christopher Miller <djmalak2k6@...> wrote:

Chris
KF4FTR

Jack, W8TEE

Mike va3mw

Jack,

Ken, N2VIP

>
>
> Jack, W8TEE

--
Jack, W8TEE

--
Jack, W8TEE

Gordon Gibby <ggibby@...>

Well I guess it’s time for me to get off of this bitx20.  The stuff about California was FAR more interesting than most of the issues otherwise raised.   

On Oct 17, 2019, at 01:02, Christopher Miller <djmalak2k6@...> wrote:

[External Email]
Jack, considering you yelled at another ham for posting in a thread you started for one of your products because the post was unrelated to your original post I would think you would understand the basic premise. You argued that it was inappropriate to distract from your product. You now argue that asking you to keep your posts to things that are on topic, thats too strict. How about you just take it to the appropriate forum?

Chris
KF4FTR

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 8:21 PM Jack, W8TEE via Groups.Io <jjpurdum=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

So, I'm done.

Jack, W8TEE

Chris
KF4FTR

Jack, W8TEE

Mike va3mw

Jack,

Ken, N2VIP

>
>
> Jack, W8TEE

--
Jack, W8TEE

--
Jack, W8TEE

Jack, W8TEE

I don't remember that. Can you give me the post number?

Jack, W8TEE

On Thursday, October 17, 2019, 1:02:04 AM EDT, Christopher Miller <djmalak2k6@...> wrote:

Chris
KF4FTR

So, I'm done.

Jack, W8TEE

Chris
KF4FTR

Jack, W8TEE

Mike va3mw

Jack,

Ken, N2VIP

>
>
> Jack, W8TEE

--
Jack, W8TEE

--
Jack, W8TEE

--
Jack, W8TEE

You are welcome to join my HOMEBREWERS at Groups.io and talk any radio topic!

Its a low traffic group.

Raj

At 17/10/2019, you wrote:

So, I'm done.

Jack, W8TEE

Chris
KF4FTR

Jack, W8TEE

Thanks, Raj. When Chris complains about being "off topic", I'm not sure exactly what he means since there are 2 levels of "off topic". First is "off topic" for the current thread. We have all seen topics here hijacked to the point where the discussion isn't even remotely tied to the subject line. Second is "off topic" to the group in general. I actually was in a ham radio group where the guy was trying to sell a telescope. That would be off topic for the group. Since I started a new thread, I wasn't off topic relative to the thread. Chris seems to feel that the subject was inappropriate for the group. I disagree...still do. I've been continually licensed for 65 years and I've seen "local" rules set precedent to allow those local rules to become larger-scoped rules (e.g., HOA). As a result, I thought all hams would be interested. I guess I was wrong.

Jack, W8TEE

On Thursday, October 17, 2019, 7:54:52 AM EDT, Raj vu2zap <rajendrakumargg@...> wrote:

You are welcome to join my HOMEBREWERS at Groups.io and talk any radio topic!

Its a low traffic group.

Raj

At 17/10/2019, you wrote:
>I just saw it as a chance to reach several thousand hams on a subject that could impinge on most of us. I did not realize that the group's focus was that narrow.
>
>So, I'm done.
>
>Jack, W8TEE
>
>On Wednesday, October 16, 2019, 10:56:53 PM EDT, Christopher Miller <djmalak2k6@...> wrote:
>
>
>Why bother having a topic or moderators if its just going to be anything that has to do with amateur radio? It’s obvious that this is not related to the Bitx or uBitx. Jack, why not take it to a group where it is relevant? Sure, I can just mute this but why have rules to keep things on topic? Lets just post whatever we want and you can just deal with muting all the off topic stuff.
>
>Chris
>KF4FTR

--
Jack, W8TEE

Joe Puma

Hi Michael,

For the record we do talk a lot about antennas here, just do some searching. Not only that but other projects are discussed here like antenna analyzers and amplifiers. Yes all to support the various bitx’s out but definitely not just about a bitx radio. 

This is day 2 or 3 attacking Jack for his post, sheesh. Some should take their own advice and just go somewhere else if you’re just going to complain.  His post was real easy to overlook and keep it moving, no reason to gang up on the guy.  

Have a nice day everyone and enjoy your projects.  

Joe
Kd2nfc

On Oct 16, 2019, at 7:55 PM, Michael Walker <va3mw@...> wrote:

Mike va3mw

Jack,

Ken, N2VIP

>
>
> Jack, W8TEE

Laurence Oberman

Jack you got my support fully
Your contributions are invaluable, and I read all of your posts.
You have so much knowledge you share with all of us.
I am fine with this having been brought up here so just wanted you to know.

Regards
Laurence
KB1HKO

On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 9:27 AM Joe Puma <kd2nfc@...> wrote:

Hi Michael,

For the record we do talk a lot about antennas here, just do some searching. Not only that but other projects are discussed here like antenna analyzers and amplifiers. Yes all to support the various bitx’s out but definitely not just about a bitx radio.

This is day 2 or 3 attacking Jack for his post, sheesh. Some should take their own advice and just go somewhere else if you’re just going to complain. His post was real easy to overlook and keep it moving, no reason to gang up on the guy.

Have a nice day everyone and enjoy your projects.

Joe
Kd2nfc

On Oct 16, 2019, at 7:55 PM, Michael Walker <va3mw@...> wrote:

Mike va3mw

Jack,

Ken, N2VIP

On Oct 16, 2019, at 15:01, Jack, W8TEE via Groups.Io <jjpurdum=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

If I were living in CA, I'd think this is a very BIG teapot. If I lived in OR or ID, I'd still see it as a huge teapot. From a legal precedent standpoint, I think all hams in any state who face similar leasing controls should be concerned, especially since the general public probably doesn't see or understand what's going on.

Jack, W8TEE

Ian Reeve

As a English full licence holder, I am not only a owner and operator of two uBITX but also a K3, I find all aspects of amateur Radio fascinating.Without these user groups my knowledge base would be much the poorer and I for one am interested in the American  and other countries amateur Radio support.I have no problem with the California issue being aired and if folk are not interested,pass the posts by.If sufficient interest move it to a new group but it's like the TV,if you are not interested turn it off.  Just my thoughts,mileage will vary. M0IDR

From: BITX20@groups.io <BITX20@groups.io> on behalf of Laurence Oberman <oberman.l@...>
Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2019 4:16:19 PM
To: BITX20@groups.io <BITX20@groups.io>

Jack you got my support fully
Your contributions are invaluable, and I read all of your posts.
You have so much knowledge you share with all of us.
I am fine with this having been brought up here so just wanted you to know.

Regards
Laurence
KB1HKO

On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 9:27 AM Joe Puma <kd2nfc@...> wrote:
>
> Hi Michael,
>
> For the record we do talk a lot about antennas here, just do some searching. Not only that but other projects are discussed here like antenna analyzers and amplifiers. Yes all to support the various bitx’s out but definitely not just about a bitx radio.
>
> This is day 2 or 3 attacking Jack for his post, sheesh. Some should take their own advice and just go somewhere else if you’re just going to complain.  His post was real easy to overlook and keep it moving, no reason to gang up on the guy.
>
> Have a nice day everyone and enjoy your projects.
>
>
> Joe
> Kd2nfc
>
>
> On Oct 16, 2019, at 7:55 PM, Michael Walker <va3mw@...> wrote:
>
> 
> This has nothing to do with Bitx... sorry
>
> And, if you think it is, then I want to talk about my HF antenna that hooks up to my BITX.
>
> Can we kill this and take it elsewhere as this is a world wide group and not all of us live in California or even the US.
>
> Mike va3mw
>
>
> On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 7:15 PM Ken Hansen <ken@...> wrote:
>>
>> Jack,
>>
>> When this topic came up here in Texas on the local ARRL section mail list/reflector, I encouraged everyone that is engaged in EmComm to take this opportunity to reach out to their serviced agencies and organizations and ensure everyone understand the needs and offerings of each, and that the current relationships are mutually beneficial. To me, that is the take-away from this story.
>>
>> As a reminder, groups.io has a facility for 'muting' threads you are not interested in, for anyone not interested in following this, or any similar conversation. The way it works is you click on the mute link at the bottom of the message, and any subsequent replies to that email thread will not be sent to you. If someone decides to start a new thread on the same topic, you'll have to mute that thread as well to stop any responses to the new thread.
>>
>> Ken, N2VIP
>>
>> > On Oct 16, 2019, at 15:01, Jack, W8TEE via Groups.Io <jjpurdum@...> wrote:
>> >
>> > If I were living in CA, I'd think this is a very BIG teapot. If I lived in OR or ID, I'd still see it as a huge teapot. From a legal precedent standpoint, I think all hams in any state who face similar leasing controls should be concerned, especially since the general public probably doesn't see or understand what's going on.
>> >
>> > Jack, W8TEE
>>
>>
>>
>>
>

Robert D. Bowers

I don't know if my previous post on this topic showed or not (I didn't see it being sent out from the server nor were there any replies)... but if I hadn't seen your original post, I would never have heard about this issue.  I very much appreciate your posting it - and since it's radio related and could impact our ability to provide an extremely valuable service to local agencies clear up to federal level... IMO it SHOULD be brought up.  It may not be directly related to BitX radios, but it is a peripheral issue to radios in general - and we all don't have access to decent sources of information.

(At least this hellhole, Florida, recognizes that we DO provide a necessary service - and others have expressed that as well.)

On 10/16/19 11:21 PM, Jack, W8TEE via Groups.Io wrote:

So, I'm done.

Jack, W8TEE

Chris
KF4FTR

Jack, W8TEE

Mike va3mw

Jack,

Ken, N2VIP

>
>
> Jack, W8TEE

--
Jack, W8TEE

--
Jack, W8TEE

Terry L. Morris

I said this incorrectly;
I agree with Michael. This board is about the Bitx20 not Cal Fire. I've checked most of the groups on this board from or having anything to do with California. None of the (less than 50% that permit message topics) groups are discussing this issue.

I don't disagree that this issue should be discussed, just not here. Another group should be started for this issue and further discussion in this group about CAL fire should be halted.

My two cents worth! KB8AMZ