Topics

Builder for Disabled

tlchost@...

Are there any folks who build fir or willing to build for a disabled ham?  I have tremor which makes wielding a soldering tool and envornmental hazard.

thanks
thom k3hrn

Eric Berman

Thom

I am with the Anne Arundel Radio Club and there are a few of us that are building the uBITx and the Jack AL board. If you would  like to join us please let me know. I am sure we could help you with the build.

73

Eric
KC3GDV

On Mon, Sep 2, 2019 at 11:59 AM Thom LaCosta <tlchost@...> wrote:
Are there any folks who build fir or willing to build for a disabled ham?  I have tremor which makes wielding a soldering tool and envornmental hazard.

thanks
thom k3hrn

Curt

Eric

Wonderful offer. I don't know Thom but remember him from qrp-l. In my judgment a small team of builders can take turns working on his rig, in parallel with your own rigs.

Important is to find out what kind of enclosure he has, but even the standard supplied wiring is good. I see his email is on qrz.com. email him personally to see if he can drive, or whether you need to pick up his rig.

Your timing seems better, as we already finished much of our build here in Carroll County, more than 2 dozen rigs. Check out our K3PZN ubitx page for some good info.

Curt WB8YYY

Thom LaCosta <tlchost@...>

I have yet to purchase anything....from what I read, i think I'm going to have to study the project more closely, as there seem to many more options/addins than I realized.  I appreciate the offers...will post more when I know more.

And yes, I was active on qrp-l and also host the drake list

73,
Thom k3hrn

On Wed, Sep 4, 2019 at 9:55 AM Curt via Groups.Io <wb8yyy=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Eric

Wonderful offer. I don't know Thom but remember him from qrp-l. In my judgment a small team of builders can take turns working on his rig, in parallel with your own rigs.

Important is to find out what kind of enclosure he has, but even the standard supplied wiring is good. I see his email is on qrz.com. email him personally to see if he can drive, or whether you need to pick up his rig.

Your timing seems better, as we already finished much of our build here in Carroll County, more than 2 dozen rigs. Check out our K3PZN ubitx page for some good info.

Curt WB8YYY

Eric Berman

Thom

Yes, it can be a a bit overwhelming the options for the build. We are adding the JackAl board and 7" screens.

I also have a Bitx40 that I was planing to build as portable unit. Since new Ham's sometimes have restrictions on putting up antennas.  This way new Ham's could have a rid to use anywhere at a low cost.

73

Eric
KC3GDV

On Wed, Sep 4, 2019 at 6:43 PM Thom LaCosta <tlchost@...> wrote:
[...]

Another point of view is to stay with the standard LCD as it works decently. The color displays add appreciable power consumption. Someone with motor skill issues may do better with the standard unit, but you do have to press the tuning knob then use the knob to select the menu action. A v5 board may not need mods for spurious. I added a simple agc mod, the one by vk3ye, it squashes big signals as I tune across a band.

73 Curt

Vince Loschiavo

Eric,
i have a couple of display protection boards left when you do your JackAl display
de
n2aie
vince