Topics

Black Squares on Raduino Display Redux #bitx40 #raduino

Pat Anderson <anderson5420@...>
 

I completed my build yesterday, and powered it on this afternoon. No joy. 

Instead of a frequency display, I got black squares, then the squares disappeared and the display went blank  We checked the power, there was 12 volts everywhere there was supposed to be. So I searched this forum. Seems I am not the first to encounter the black squares, although nobody else mentioned the display going blank. There is a thread that was started in 2017 about the black squares and had some posts as recently as late last year. There was a suggestion that the Raduino was displaying squares because it had not been programmed. Hard to believe that a unit would have been shipped by HF Signals that had not been programmed with the generic sketch because the web page says it has all been tested: "The assembled boards are then DC checked and a final RF check is performed to check the receiver’s sensitivity as well as transmitter’s output before being shipped." Some folks vaguely suggested all the files needed were "on this site," but others responded that the problem was too many files, many of which were out of date. In fact many of the responses suffered from incredible vagueness. But the main suggestion was to install the amunter sketch (Allard), with a link to Github. The link was out of date and returned a 404 error, but I Googled and did get to amunter's Github page.

I have the Linux version of the Arduino IDE installed, but found nothing that looked like a file I could I could load, compile and install to my Raduino. There were references to libraries and "include" files that were not there. i do not see what I am supposed to do with what is on the amunter Github page(s). I do not want to make hardware modifications. I just want a sketch that I can compile and install to an unmodified out of the box bitx-40.

If you have encountered the black square problem and overcome it, please respond, either on the forum or by private message. Also, thoughts about why the display went blank after displaying the black squares. I really don't need more vague suggestions as in the 2017 thread, I am sort of looking for a cookbook step by step solution! I have to believe it exists! 

Thanks!

Pat Anderson
KD7OAC


Vic WA4THR
 

Is this for a BitX40? First thing to check is the wiring, especially the connectors to the Raduino since current models use a 16 pin header and the BitX40 wiring harness uses smaller plugs. Getting the right pins connected on the 16pin header is important or the unit might be compromised, so the 5 pin plug needs to fit on the 5 pins closest to the blue pot with the yellow lead all the way to the last pin. If the wiring is correct, you can try and adjust the contrast control, that blue pot on the back of the Rauino, to see if it clarifies the display.

Switching to the Amunter code will improve things, and no hardware changes are needed (although a few simple ones will greatly enhance the operation). As for how to program the Raduino, this is a pretty good set of instructions:
https://groups.io/g/BITX20/message/26522?p=,,,20,0,0,0::relevance,,raduino+software+for+geezers,20,2,0,5045944

=Vic=

ronmhauser@...
 

I had all black squares on v5 uBitx powerup ... there is a bright/dim pot on the back of the raduino board that had to be adjusted to a suitable level.

73
--Ron
K0EIA

Pat Anderson <anderson5420@...>
 

I spent last evening prowling the Arduino forums unrelated to bitx-40.  The black squares appear on Arduino displays NOT connected to radios. as well I may have some wiring issues, and I will spend some time checking and rechecking. But the black squares those forums said appear because the Arduino is not being properly initialized. This would indicate a software issue rather than wiring or hardware. I disconnected the the Raduino from the board this morning and powered it up with the USB cable. Nothing appears on the screen but the display lights up. If I knew how to, I would compile and load Allard's plain vanilla sketch for an unmodified out of the box bitx-40. I don't know how to, so I am hoping somebody will point me in the right directioni to do that. 

Thanks for any assistance!

Pat Anderson <anderson5420@...>
 

Punctuation issue (missing period, run-on sentence), repost to clarify.

I spent last evening prowling the Arduino forums unrelated to bitx-40.  The black squares appear on Arduino displays NOT connected to radios as well.  I may have some wiring issues, and I will spend some time checking and rechecking. But the black squares those forums said appear because the Arduino is not being properly initialized. This would indicate a software issue rather than wiring or hardware. I disconnected the the Raduino from the board this morning and powered it up with the USB cable. Nothing appears on the screen but the display lights up. If I knew how to, I would compile and load Allard's plain vanilla sketch for an unmodified out of the box bitx-40. I don't know how to, so I am hoping somebody will point me in the right directioni to do that. 

Thanks for any assistance!

Pat Anderson <anderson5420@...>
 

Thanks, Vic - this looks like just the ticket. I have printed the "Geezer instructions" and will do what I can to follow them!

Pat Anderson <anderson5420@...>
 

OK, I followed the Geexer instructions  for the Amunter .ino file.  When I got to the step to choose Verify/Compile, it gives the error message "PinChangeInterrupt.h" file or directory not found." I obtained the file from GitHub but somehow, the IDE cannot find it even when I edit the source to specify a specific folder. Ubuntu Linux, I thought I knew enough LInux to do this, but I am obviously missing something. Ideas? I feel I am so close now!

Pat Anderson <anderson5420@...>
 

I got some assistance on the PinChangeInterrupt.h from Paul Fillmore, and finally got the amunter sketch compiled, but now when I try to upload the compiled sketch, I am getting an unspecific error message that there was a problem uploading to the board. I can't find anything helpful about what to do next on the net. Any ideas what I can try next?

johnbahun@...
 

Have you been able to upload to the board prior to this change?

Kelly Mabry
 

Are all the libraries installed, that are needed by the sketch? 

Kelly K5AID 

Allard PE1NWL
 

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 06:18 AM, Pat Anderson wrote:
when I try to upload the compiled sketch, I am getting an unspecific error message that there was a problem uploading to the board
Pat,
in your IDE, under "tools", what Board, Processor and Programmer did you select?

"Board" should be "Nano"
"Processor" should be "ATmega328P (old bootloader)"
"Programmer" should be "AVRISP mkII"

73 Allard PE1NWL

Pat Anderson <anderson5420@...>
 

Thanks, Allard - those are the settings I have, Board Nano, Processor ATmega328P, and Programmer AVRISP mkII. The port is /dev/ttyUSB0, and I do a sudo chmod 777 /dev/ttyUSB0 before upload attempts (not sure if necessary but I had to do the with CHIRP to program my HTs). Sometimes it shows "uploading" for quite a while before I get the error message, sometimes the error message appears almost immediately. I really don't have any way to know if the computer is actually communicating with the board at all. Is there some log file I could examine?

Pat
KD7OAC


On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 3:34 AM Allard PE1NWL <pe1nwl@...> wrote:
On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 06:18 AM, Pat Anderson wrote:
when I try to upload the compiled sketch, I am getting an unspecific error message that there was a problem uploading to the board
Pat,
in your IDE, under "tools", what Board, Processor and Programmer did you select?

"Board" should be "Nano"
"Processor" should be "ATmega328P (old bootloader)"
"Programmer" should be "AVRISP mkII"

73 Allard PE1NWL

Pat Anderson <anderson5420@...>
 

Programmer ARmega328P (old bootloader) is what I meant to type. I have tried both but is is currently on (old bootloader).


On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 8:58 AM Pat Anderson via Groups.Io <anderson5420=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thanks, Allard - those are the settings I have, Board Nano, Processor ATmega328P, and Programmer AVRISP mkII. The port is /dev/ttyUSB0, and I do a sudo chmod 777 /dev/ttyUSB0 before upload attempts (not sure if necessary but I had to do the with CHIRP to program my HTs). Sometimes it shows "uploading" for quite a while before I get the error message, sometimes the error message appears almost immediately. I really don't have any way to know if the computer is actually communicating with the board at all. Is there some log file I could examine?

Pat
KD7OAC

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 3:34 AM Allard PE1NWL <pe1nwl@...> wrote:
On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 06:18 AM, Pat Anderson wrote:
when I try to upload the compiled sketch, I am getting an unspecific error message that there was a problem uploading to the board
Pat,
in your IDE, under "tools", what Board, Processor and Programmer did you select?

"Board" should be "Nano"
"Processor" should be "ATmega328P (old bootloader)"
"Programmer" should be "AVRISP mkII"

73 Allard PE1NWL

Allard PE1NWL
 

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 04:58 PM, Pat Anderson wrote:
those are the settings I have, Board Nano, Processor ATmega328P, and Programmer AVRISP mkII.
In your IDE version, do you have the option to select Tools > Processor > ATmega328P (Old Bootloader)?
See this posting on the Arduino forum:
https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=530559.0

73 Allard PE1NWL

Pat Anderson <anderson5420@...>
 

Yes, I did select ATmega328p (old bootloader). I have tried both ATmega328p and ATmega328p (old bootloader). Same result.

See the attached screenshot, my chronos@localhost window, which displays system messages is more specific that the IDE's cryptic message "Problem uploading to board." The message that is logged is "programmer not responding." It tries 10 times and then gives up.

A little more info on my system, which I don't THINK is causing the problem. I am running Ubuntu under Crouton on a Chromebook. I run CHIRP using /dev/ttyUSB0 to program my VHF/UHF HTs, and it works fine. It runs all other Linux software I have tried just fine. But IF my Chromebook system might be the problem, or part of it, I will start over with the IDE on an old Windows 7 laptop when I get back to Washington State (I have been in Arizona for the last four months). Frankly, though, over the years I have had a lot more problems with com ports on Windows than with /dev/tty under Linux.

I do want to express my immense appreciation for the folks who have tried to help me solve this problem!

Pat
KD7OAC

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 9:19 AM Allard PE1NWL <pe1nwl@...> wrote:
On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 04:58 PM, Pat Anderson wrote:
those are the settings I have, Board Nano, Processor ATmega328P, and Programmer AVRISP mkII.
In your IDE version, do you have the option to select Tools > Processor > ATmega328P (Old Bootloader)?
See this posting on the Arduino forum:
https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=530559.0

73 Allard PE1NWL

Pat Anderson <anderson5420@...>
 

Now these two lines in the system output window look suspicious, MAY be the source of the problem.

User configuration file is "/home/pat/.avrduderc"
         User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 11:07 AM Pat Anderson via Groups.Io <anderson5420=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Yes, I did select ATmega328p (old bootloader). I have tried both ATmega328p and ATmega328p (old bootloader). Same result.

See the attached screenshot, my chronos@localhost window, which displays system messages is more specific that the IDE's cryptic message "Problem uploading to board." The message that is logged is "programmer not responding." It tries 10 times and then gives up.

A little more info on my system, which I don't THINK is causing the problem. I am running Ubuntu under Crouton on a Chromebook. I run CHIRP using /dev/ttyUSB0 to program my VHF/UHF HTs, and it works fine. It runs all other Linux software I have tried just fine. But IF my Chromebook system might be the problem, or part of it, I will start over with the IDE on an old Windows 7 laptop when I get back to Washington State (I have been in Arizona for the last four months). Frankly, though, over the years I have had a lot more problems with com ports on Windows than with /dev/tty under Linux.

I do want to express my immense appreciation for the folks who have tried to help me solve this problem!

Pat
KD7OAC

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 9:19 AM Allard PE1NWL <pe1nwl@...> wrote:
On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 04:58 PM, Pat Anderson wrote:
those are the settings I have, Board Nano, Processor ATmega328P, and Programmer AVRISP mkII.
In your IDE version, do you have the option to select Tools > Processor > ATmega328P (Old Bootloader)?
See this posting on the Arduino forum:
https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=530559.0

73 Allard PE1NWL

f1apy - Jacques
 

Hello Pat,

 

It’s not your software the problem, I think you have lost or broken the bootloader on your Arduino card,

See on Arduino.cc site howto to reinstall bootloader on the card

73’s de Jacques – F1APY

 

From: BITX20@groups.io [mailto:BITX20@groups.io] On Behalf Of Pat Anderson
Sent: Tuesday, March 26, 2019 7:07 PM
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BITX20] Black Squares on Raduino Display Redux #bitx40 #raduino

 

Yes, I did select ATmega328p (old bootloader). I have tried both ATmega328p and ATmega328p (old bootloader). Same result.

 

See the attached screenshot, my chronos@localhost window, which displays system messages is more specific that the IDE's cryptic message "Problem uploading to board." The message that is logged is "programmer not responding." It tries 10 times and then gives up.

 

A little more info on my system, which I don't THINK is causing the problem. I am running Ubuntu under Crouton on a Chromebook. I run CHIRP using /dev/ttyUSB0 to program my VHF/UHF HTs, and it works fine. It runs all other Linux software I have tried just fine. But IF my Chromebook system might be the problem, or part of it, I will start over with the IDE on an old Windows 7 laptop when I get back to Washington State (I have been in Arizona for the last four months). Frankly, though, over the years I have had a lot more problems with com ports on Windows than with /dev/tty under Linux.

 

I do want to express my immense appreciation for the folks who have tried to help me solve this problem!

 

Pat

KD7OAC

 

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 9:19 AM Allard PE1NWL <pe1nwl@...> wrote:

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 04:58 PM, Pat Anderson wrote:

those are the settings I have, Board Nano, Processor ATmega328P, and Programmer AVRISP mkII.

In your IDE version, do you have the option to select Tools > Processor > ATmega328P (Old Bootloader)?
See this posting on the Arduino forum:
https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=530559.0

73 Allard PE1NWL

Pat Anderson <anderson5420@...>
 

I looked in /home/pat for the .avrduderc (with show hidden files turned on), and that file does not exist. How does that file get created?


On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 11:34 AM Pat Anderson <anderson5420@...> wrote:
Now these two lines in the system output window look suspicious, MAY be the source of the problem.

User configuration file is "/home/pat/.avrduderc"
         User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 11:07 AM Pat Anderson via Groups.Io <anderson5420=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Yes, I did select ATmega328p (old bootloader). I have tried both ATmega328p and ATmega328p (old bootloader). Same result.

See the attached screenshot, my chronos@localhost window, which displays system messages is more specific that the IDE's cryptic message "Problem uploading to board." The message that is logged is "programmer not responding." It tries 10 times and then gives up.

A little more info on my system, which I don't THINK is causing the problem. I am running Ubuntu under Crouton on a Chromebook. I run CHIRP using /dev/ttyUSB0 to program my VHF/UHF HTs, and it works fine. It runs all other Linux software I have tried just fine. But IF my Chromebook system might be the problem, or part of it, I will start over with the IDE on an old Windows 7 laptop when I get back to Washington State (I have been in Arizona for the last four months). Frankly, though, over the years I have had a lot more problems with com ports on Windows than with /dev/tty under Linux.

I do want to express my immense appreciation for the folks who have tried to help me solve this problem!

Pat
KD7OAC

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 9:19 AM Allard PE1NWL <pe1nwl@...> wrote:
On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 04:58 PM, Pat Anderson wrote:
those are the settings I have, Board Nano, Processor ATmega328P, and Programmer AVRISP mkII.
In your IDE version, do you have the option to select Tools > Processor > ATmega328P (Old Bootloader)?
See this posting on the Arduino forum:
https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=530559.0

73 Allard PE1NWL

johnbahun@...
 

If you are unable to upload ANY code to the processor - it is likely a problem with the serial port and/or driver on your computer.  This issue is always a black eye with new setups.  Some Arduino boards use FTDI devices and others use CHD devices.  It seems that most of the Chinese clones are using CHD340/341 devices.   HTH

Pat Anderson <anderson5420@...>
 

I understand what you are saying, and would agree if I were using Windows or Mac. I am pretty confident it is not a problem on my computer end...Linux does not use "drivers" the way Windows and Macs do - everything going out a USB port in Linux goes out using the dialout device, /dev/tty. When the user is a member of the dialout group, and there is an FTDI or Prolific (even counterfeit) chip on the other end, a /dev/ttyUSB0 device is created, which is then made read/write with chmod. Linux is remarkably un-fussy about what the chip is. Whatever the chip in the Raduino is, it does not seem my computer is not having a problem with it.

Whatever the chip is in the Raduino is, /dev/tty is  recognizing it and creating the USB device on  the computer. The IDE knows the USB device is there, and I am making it read/write, which has always worked for everything else.

Thanks for the input though. I think I may j just set this aside for a while and come back to it later.



On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 1:22 PM <johnbahun@...> wrote:
If you are unable to upload ANY code to the processor - it is likely a problem with the serial port and/or driver on your computer.  This issue is always a black eye with new setups.  Some Arduino boards use FTDI devices and others use CHD devices.  It seems that most of the Chinese clones are using CHD340/341 devices.   HTH