From: "Jim Sheldon" <w0eb@...>
Sent: 12/13/2019 8:34:56 AM
Subject: Re: [BITX20] bitx v6 is here

Can't buy the basic kit for $150 US though, only the $199 "Full Kit" version available for sale on HF signals.  Either fix this or lose a lot of sales.

W0EB

Adrian Chadd

Hi!

Nice work!

Do you have a list of changes between the v5 and v6 radio board?

-adrian

Ashhar Farhan

The circuit is exactly the same on the main board. We had to bring some od the ptt and cw keyer lines onto the main board to connect to the front panel.
That apart, we uses same data lines of arduino for the color display that we used earlier for the 16x2 display.

- f

On Fri 13 Dec, 2019, 8:56 PM Adrian Chadd, <adrian.chadd@...> wrote:
Hi!

Nice work!

Do you have a list of changes between the v5 and v6 radio board?

-adrian

_Dave_ AD0B

Very good marketing move. Sir. There are many hams that don't know how to handle an iron.  One doesn't have to look past this list and see many radios that don't work because of poor assembly techniques.

Maybe someone will just have to move from a v5 to a v6 and offer their old model for cheap,.
Dave
k0mbt
Raduino bracket and Ham_Made_Keys

MadRadioModder

Or…. Some clever experimenter will upgrade their v5 to a v6 and document how they did it for the group/ post the instructions.  Either or…. Either or…

--

…_. _._

Neil Goldstein

Farhan,

Is the case one of Sunil's?  Is it orderable for my V5?
--Neil, W2NDG
radiokitguide.com

Cory King

From what I'm reading here, unless you don't want to solder there is no reason to upgrade your v5 to v6.  v6 sounds like it is basically v5 with all the connectors soldered onto the board + a pre-wired TFT display on the raduino board.  It might have slightly different traces on the mainboard, but otherwise it is the same.

What I'm wondering is, now that all the connectors are soldered into the board, will the v6 board have thru-holes on it to solder in audio cables?  That way it is easy to hook up all those soundcard daughterboards for digital modes and/or hook up some of the Auto Gain Control cards I see floating around?  Would be cool to have strategically placed thru-holes on it to hook up some of the pan-adapters I've seen around as well.

Anyway, this seems like a pretty good evolution of this radio!

Biju Apkrcl

De VU2TDD

Thank you Farhan sir for your continues experiments and releasing new version of ubitx with additional features.

Congratulations sir.

Ashhar Farhan

All the cables and connectors of v5 are preserved as it. The only thing you need to do is to swap the 16x2 LCD for a tft display.
Unfortunately, we are selling the boxes only as a part of the kit. These boxes are so heavy that the extra money is mostlt the freight charge.

On Fri 13 Dec, 2019, 10:27 PM Cory King, <cory@...> wrote:
From what I'm reading here, unless you don't want to solder there is no reason to upgrade your v5 to v6.  v6 sounds like it is basically v5 with all the connectors soldered onto the board + a pre-wired TFT display on the raduino board.  It might have slightly different traces on the mainboard, but otherwise it is the same.

What I'm wondering is, now that all the connectors are soldered into the board, will the v6 board have thru-holes on it to solder in audio cables?  That way it is easy to hook up all those soundcard daughterboards for digital modes and/or hook up some of the Auto Gain Control cards I see floating around?  Would be cool to have strategically placed thru-holes on it to hook up some of the pan-adapters I've seen around as well.

Anyway, this seems like a pretty good evolution of this radio!

Tom, N8TPN

Very Nice!

The New PCB Layout offers some obvious and some not-so-obvious advantages.

The integration of the connectors onto the Main PCB greatly speeds and simplifies assembly and hookup for builders - hopefully fewer wiring errors and requests for assembly/troubleshooting  help.

The layout has some extra space at the rear of the chassis for larger heatsinks - excellent for the digital mode crowd.

The inclusion of the USB extension cable in the full package means easier firmware upgrades.

The integrated keyer and paddle jack are a nice feature - no need to add that messy pull-up resistor...hopefully there is some way to de-activate it to allow external contest-type keyer inputs.

The included fully-wired microphone is very convenient - The choice of standard 1/8" (6.35mm) stereo connector will allow the user to easily switch to digital-mode inputs. Just swap the cable.

The custom case in the full version, and front panel templates in the base version, provides for mechanically stronger and more secure assemblies with less chance of failure over time due to the movement of connections in the PCB headers and Molex (Relimate) connectors. The simple control layout and available unused front panel space should allow adequate customization of controls such as AGC and separate digital inputs.

It wasn't clear in the video if the menu functions can be accessed from the front panel tuning encoder knob as in previous versions...my fat fingered hands don't work well with small closely-spaced buttons or touch screens. Perhaps a simple cell phone soft-touch stylus attached via tether to keep it from getting lost would be handy in that case.

All-in-all an excellent upgrade!

Thanks Farhan and the entire HFSignals crew!

73 - Tom
N8TPN

I just can't tell you how happy it makes me to see the uBITX finally moving away from the 16X2 displays. They were way past their use by date. I placed a order for a V6 this morning making my BITX count now 5.

Joel
N6ALT

Anthony Gomes

As I see under the hood it is still v5 engine. I am tempted of doing another homebrewing of V6 version from scratch, I might share the build process step by step via youtube if anybody is interested. I just need to buy 2.8 TFT display and build/buy a new Raduino, as I don't want to yank out anything from my existing v5 build as I want kept it for reference point.

Farhan ji one more thing (as I have mentioned on my original post #73506) I notice the ubitx v6 schematic is still showing the X7 crystal as 12Mhz, I believe it's a typo and not intentional.

Dale Hardin

Farhan, what is involved in adding new TFT display to my V3?  Is the sketch backward compatible?

On Fri, Dec 13, 2019 at 11:30 AM Ashhar Farhan <farhanbox@...> wrote:
All the cables and connectors of v5 are preserved as it. The only thing you need to do is to swap the 16x2 LCD for a tft display.
Unfortunately, we are selling the boxes only as a part of the kit. These boxes are so heavy that the extra money is mostlt the freight charge.

On Fri 13 Dec, 2019, 10:27 PM Cory King, <cory@...> wrote:
From what I'm reading here, unless you don't want to solder there is no reason to upgrade your v5 to v6.  v6 sounds like it is basically v5 with all the connectors soldered onto the board + a pre-wired TFT display on the raduino board.  It might have slightly different traces on the mainboard, but otherwise it is the same.

What I'm wondering is, now that all the connectors are soldered into the board, will the v6 board have thru-holes on it to solder in audio cables?  That way it is easy to hook up all those soundcard daughterboards for digital modes and/or hook up some of the Auto Gain Control cards I see floating around?  Would be cool to have strategically placed thru-holes on it to hook up some of the pan-adapters I've seen around as well.

Anyway, this seems like a pretty good evolution of this radio!

--
Dale Hardin
Elberta, AL

--
Dale Hardin, KS4NS
Elberta, AL

Buddy Brannan

Do I understand from the instructions that the new V6 kit now has a touch screen? Or does it have lots of extra buttons?

Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Email: buddy@...
Mobile: (814) 431-0962

On Dec 13, 2019, at 11:28 AM, _Dave_ K0MBT <davesters@...> wrote:

Very good marketing move. Sir. There are many hams that don't know how to handle an iron. One doesn't have to look past this list and see many radios that don't work because of poor assembly techniques.

Maybe someone will just have to move from a v5 to a v6 and offer their old model for cheap,.
Dave
k0mbt
Raduino bracket and Ham_Made_Keys

Yes, you are correct, the new display is a touch screen.

Joel
N6ALT

Dave Dixon

just ordered my V6 looking forward to receiving it next year..Im hunting around for a variable cw filter..any ideas guys.,Dave G0AYD

Rick Green

What I think he meant, and what I was wondering, is whether you added any new thru-holes for easier imstallation of some common mods.
Specifically, the tx/rx LEDs that came with the custom case kit, and the N8DAH AGC board. Have you designed in thru-holes and solder jumper so that these can be installed without having to scrape, cut and solder the fine traces?

On Fri, 13 Dec 2019, Ashhar Farhan wrote:

All the cables and connectors of v5 are preserved as it. The only thing you need to do is to swap the 16x2 LCD for a tft display.Unfortunately, we are selling the boxes only as a part of the kit. These
boxes are so heavy that the extra money is mostlt the freight charge.
On Fri 13 Dec, 2019, 10:27 PM Cory King, <cory@...> wrote:

What I'm wondering is, now that all the connectors are soldered into the board, will the v6 board have thru-holes on it to solder in audio cables?  That way it is easy to hook up all those
soundcard daughterboards for digital modes and/or hook up some of the Auto Gain Control cards I see floating around?  Would be cool to have strategically placed thru-holes on it to hook up some
of the pan-adapters I've seen around as well.

Anyway, this seems like a pretty good evolution of this radio!
--
Rick Green N8BJX

We, the People of the United States of America, reject the U.S. Supreme Court's
Citizens United ruling, and move to amend our Constitution to firmly establish
that money is not speech, and that human beings, not corporations, are persons
entitled to constitutional rights.

http://www.MoveToAmend.org

Ashhar Farhan

We have left the old traces, connectors etc in exactly the same place. The software is backwards compatible with the previous versions. If your board has 12 mhz, you have to just edit that one line to change the second IF.
I have also written a new calibration rountine that makes it easy to calibrate without needing any instrumentation in the shack. You set the dial to the frequency of a known station, get into calibration mode, and then keep spinning the tuning knob until you are zero-beat with the known signal.
73, f

On Sat 14 Dec, 2019, 4:43 AM Rick Green, <rtg@...> wrote:
What I think he meant, and what I was wondering, is whether you added any new
thru-holes for easier imstallation of some common mods.
   Specifically, the tx/rx LEDs that came with the custom case kit, and the N8DAH
AGC board.  Have you designed in thru-holes and solder jumper so that these can
be installed without having to scrape, cut and solder the fine traces?

On Fri, 13 Dec 2019, Ashhar Farhan wrote:

> All the cables and connectors of v5 are preserved as it. The only thing you need to do is to swap the 16x2 LCD for a tft display.Unfortunately, we are selling the boxes only as a part of the kit. These
> boxes are so heavy that the extra money is mostlt the freight charge.
>
> On Fri 13 Dec, 2019, 10:27 PM Cory King, <cory@...> wrote:
>
>       What I'm wondering is, now that all the connectors are soldered into the board, will the v6 board have thru-holes on it to solder in audio cables?  That way it is easy to hook up all those
>       soundcard daughterboards for digital modes and/or hook up some of the Auto Gain Control cards I see floating around?  Would be cool to have strategically placed thru-holes on it to hook up some
>       of the pan-adapters I've seen around as well.
>
>       Anyway, this seems like a pretty good evolution of this radio!

--
Rick Green  N8BJX

We, the People of the United States of America, reject the U.S. Supreme Court's
  Citizens United ruling, and move to amend our Constitution to firmly establish
  that money is not speech, and that human beings, not corporations, are persons
                        entitled to constitutional rights.

                        http://www.MoveToAmend.org

Dale Hardin

Did you have to re-design the Radiuno connector locations to fit the new display?

On Fri, Dec 13, 2019 at 8:58 PM Ashhar Farhan <farhanbox@...> wrote:
We have left the old traces, connectors etc in exactly the same place. The software is backwards compatible with the previous versions. If your board has 12 mhz, you have to just edit that one line to change the second IF.
I have also written a new calibration rountine that makes it easy to calibrate without needing any instrumentation in the shack. You set the dial to the frequency of a known station, get into calibration mode, and then keep spinning the tuning knob until you are zero-beat with the known signal.
73, f

On Sat 14 Dec, 2019, 4:43 AM Rick Green, <rtg@...> wrote:
What I think he meant, and what I was wondering, is whether you added any new
thru-holes for easier imstallation of some common mods.
   Specifically, the tx/rx LEDs that came with the custom case kit, and the N8DAH
AGC board.  Have you designed in thru-holes and solder jumper so that these can
be installed without having to scrape, cut and solder the fine traces?

On Fri, 13 Dec 2019, Ashhar Farhan wrote:

> All the cables and connectors of v5 are preserved as it. The only thing you need to do is to swap the 16x2 LCD for a tft display.Unfortunately, we are selling the boxes only as a part of the kit. These
> boxes are so heavy that the extra money is mostlt the freight charge.
>
> On Fri 13 Dec, 2019, 10:27 PM Cory King, <cory@...> wrote:
>
>       What I'm wondering is, now that all the connectors are soldered into the board, will the v6 board have thru-holes on it to solder in audio cables?  That way it is easy to hook up all those
>       soundcard daughterboards for digital modes and/or hook up some of the Auto Gain Control cards I see floating around?  Would be cool to have strategically placed thru-holes on it to hook up some
>       of the pan-adapters I've seen around as well.
>
>       Anyway, this seems like a pretty good evolution of this radio!

--
Rick Green  N8BJX

We, the People of the United States of America, reject the U.S. Supreme Court's
  Citizens United ruling, and move to amend our Constitution to firmly establish
  that money is not speech, and that human beings, not corporations, are persons
                        entitled to constitutional rights.

                        http://www.MoveToAmend.org

--
Dale Hardin
Elberta, AL

--
Dale Hardin, KS4NS
Elberta, AL

Buddy Brannan

Hi,

I haven’t found calibration instructions. Assembly, circuit descriptions (which are fantastic by the way), yes…but somehow I’ve missed the calibration instructions.