Topics

bitx 40

dave

hi does anyone know if the  bitx 40 can be run without a digital display if so how   many thanks   dave c  GW0NVF

Jim WB2LHP in MI

I believe on the V3 board you can add L4 and C93 then connect the tuning pot to the TUNING1 connector...C93 sets the range and the tuning pot sets the spread...

On Wed, Jan 22, 2020 at 3:51 PM dave <dgclifford@...> wrote:
hi does anyone know if the  bitx 40 can be run without a digital display if so how   many thanks   dave c  GW0NVF

Smitty, KR6ZY

Yep! I still have my very first BitX40 configured with the analog VFO. It’s drifty as all heck, but it’s still one of my favorite radios to use.

I HIGHLY recommend getting a 10-Turn pot for the tuning knob. Tuning is not a Precise action on a 270 degree (aka 1 turn) pot. Any linear scale (if it doesn’t say “log” or “audio”, chances are it’s linear) 10-Turn 10k ohm pot will do. I got mine on eBay.

Otherwise, it’s a lot of fun. No digital circuits at all!

-Mark

On Jan 22, 2020, at 1:07 PM, Jim WB2LHP in MI <jmarco1955@...> wrote:

I believe on the V3 board you can add L4 and C93 then connect the tuning pot to the TUNING1 connector...C93 sets the range and the tuning pot sets the spread...

On Wed, Jan 22, 2020 at 3:51 PM dave <dgclifford@...> wrote:
hi does anyone know if the  bitx 40 can be run without a digital display if so how   many thanks   dave c  GW0NVF

Wayne Leake

 I have 2 BITX40's, one was from just before the Raduinos came out.
 It uses just a simple analog VFO, that uses a Varactor Diode for the spread tuning.
 Also, I have a bare board BITX40 board that will be a BITX20 when done. It too uses a Varactor Diode for the spread tuning, though I plan on using an Arduino with an Si5152 (?) Board as a digitally tuned VFO instead of the analog VFO.
 It has the provision for a digital readout also.
 The second BITX40 came with a Toroid coil and cap that can be installed.
 But I like to know just where I am going to TX..
 You do need a very voltage stable power supply for an Analog VFO, and be prepared for some drift.
Wayne WA2YNE

On Wed, Jan 22, 2020, 3:07 PM Jim WB2LHP in MI <jmarco1955@...> wrote:
I believe on the V3 board you can add L4 and C93 then connect the tuning pot to the TUNING1 connector...C93 sets the range and the tuning pot sets the spread...

On Wed, Jan 22, 2020 at 3:51 PM dave <dgclifford@...> wrote:
hi does anyone know if the  bitx 40 can be run without a digital display if so how   many thanks   dave c  GW0NVF

Smitty, KR6ZY

And by “some drift,” he means A LOT of drift. I basically have to constantly tweak the tuning knob.

I like your idea of a frequency counter on the VFO. Even if it’s an analog VFO, at least knowing how it’s moving all over the place would be good. :-)

-Mark

On Jan 22, 2020, at 5:17 PM, Wayne Leake <wayneleake@...> wrote:

[...]

 Actually, it's not my idea, at least regarding the boards from amateuradiokits.in (amateurradiokits,in).
 it is built into the board, and they sell/sold a separate frequency counter.
 and one can be used with Farhans V3 BITX40 boards.
 I forget the nitty gritty of connecting it though.
 I did connect the analog VFO version to a power supply to listen, and it seemed to go all over the place.
 I attribute that to the wall wart I tried being non regulated.
 Some are regulated, some are not.
 Using a single turn pot makes tuning very very touchy.
 I do recommend getting a ten turn version. Preferably with a vernier turns counter.
 Even is best, IMO, for use with the Raduino as it comes.
 Wayne WA2YNE