Topics

BITX40 v3 - Output abt. 2.300 kHz to low v 1.28 #bitx40help

DC8FG

Hi Folks,

I need help and hope, that someone can point me in the right direction ;-)

Today I wanted to try out the version 1.28 / 1.28.1 and changed from v 2.2  to 1.28

My BITX40 Board is a v.3

Last year I made all the mods in the description and my BITX40 worked well with 2.2.
But now, when I change the firmware to 1.28 I wonder why there nothing is to hear.

And on the spectrumanalyzer I can see, that there is only a low output abt. 2.300 kHz below dialed Frequency ( e.g. 7.100 kHz).

The more I dial to lower frequencies the more the output signal comes nearer to 7.100 KHz and the outputpower raises up a bit to 1W.

When I set the TRX to 5.000 kHz, the transmission is in the 40m Band but still with very poor Power. Also there is no modualtion

If I change back to v. 2.2, everything works fine :-/

What is it what I can´t see?

I´ll be very glad about helpfull anwsers ;-)

73 Frank

Jerry Gaffke

I assume you are using Allard's firmware for the Bitx40 found here:
https://github.com/amunters
The "bitx40" firmware is meant to work on a rig as shipped from hfsignals, one that has no hardware mods.
The "bitx40-raduino-v2" firmware" offers a number of enhancements, but requires hardware mods.

I'm not sure what v2.2 firmware would be, latest revision is 2.04

One of the hardware mods required is to drive the BFO from Si5351's CLK0, not from the crystal oscillator.
The "bitx40" firmware assumes the BFO crystal oscillator is still being used,
and does not bother programming CLK0 out of the Si5351.
So when using the "bitx40" firmware, your rig has no BFO.
I'm surprised that the "bitx40" firmware works at all on a rig with hardware mods for the v2 firmware.

Is there a reason to go back to the "bitx40" firmware?
I suggest you simply use the v2 firmware and enjoy the additional capabilities.

Jerry, KE7ER

On Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 09:10 AM, DC8FG wrote:

[...]

Jerry, that was the point -  I forgot, that my BITX has the BFO mod.

mny tnx :-)
But yes, the BITX runs well with v 1.28.1 - all Button functions and CW are possible, except frequency tuning ...

So, now I have to find a solution to give the BITX more output power with v 2.02.
When I take care for a good carrier supression, the BITX will not give more than 2 W PEP :-/

73
Frank, DC8FG