Topics

#bitx40 New BitX40 firmware release with Roger Beep function #bitx40

Allard PE1NWL

Hi,

I've just released Raduino v1.29, download it from https://github.com/amunters/bitx40

New in this release:
  • Added Roger Beep (NASA style "Quindar Tone" as used in Apollo missions).
PTTsense, RXTX and CWcarrier mods must be installed for this feature to work.
Press Function Button 7 times to toggle this function on/off.
It's OFF by default as some find it annoying. Others find it helpful in pile-up situations though.
Use responsibly!

Happy BitX-ing!

73 Allard PE1NWL

MadRadioModder

Ahhhh. The “CB” beep.

MRM

--

…_. _._

RICHARD

WoW !  Now we have a real CB radio!

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

  • Added Roger Beep (NASA style "Quindar Tone" as used in Apollo missions).
PTTsense, RXTX and CWcarrier mods must be installed for this feature to work.
Press Function Button 7 times to toggle this function on/off.
It's OFF by default as some find it annoying. Others find it helpful in pile-up situations though.
Use responsibly!

Happy BitX-ing!

73 Allard PE1NWL

--

…_. _._

Donald <donwestpwl@...>

Thank you, Allard, for sharing your work.

I shall never understand this bias against CB radio. I do hope it only occurs in the U.S.A.

Donald, KB5PWL

On 10/27/2019 10:18 PM, RICHARD wrote:

WoW !  Now we have a real CB radio!

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

  • Added Roger Beep (NASA style "Quindar Tone" as used in Apollo missions).
PTTsense, RXTX and CWcarrier mods must be installed for this feature to work.
Press Function Button 7 times to toggle this function on/off.
It's OFF by default as some find it annoying. Others find it helpful in pile-up situations though.
Use responsibly!

Happy BitX-ing!

73 Allard PE1NWL

--

…_. _._

Robert D. Bowers

Simple: Many people into CB like to get their hands on our gear, make them work on 11 meters, and royally screw them up (adding "pingers', "echoboxes", removing ALC, you name it) - and many of them try to bootleg on amateur frequencies.  Add to that the motormouths and worse (when in React many years ago, I was witness to a motormouth jamming attempts to get help to a snake-bit little girl, who died because we couldn't get through "I have a RIGHT to do whatever I want on the radio!!!").  CB in the US really got ugly in a hurry in the 70s, and went downhill from there.

Bob

On 10/28/19 1:39 PM, Donald wrote:

Thank you, Allard, for sharing your work.

I shall never understand this bias against CB radio. I do hope it only occurs in the U.S.A.

Donald, KB5PWL

On 10/27/2019 10:18 PM, RICHARD wrote:

WoW !  Now we have a real CB radio!

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

  • Added Roger Beep (NASA style "Quindar Tone" as used in Apollo missions).
PTTsense, RXTX and CWcarrier mods must be installed for this feature to work.
Press Function Button 7 times to toggle this function on/off.
It's OFF by default as some find it annoying. Others find it helpful in pile-up situations though.
Use responsibly!

Happy BitX-ing!

73 Allard PE1NWL

--

…_. _._

ajparent1/KB1GMX <kb1gmx@...>

Donald,

OM mode and some history.

The roger beep was not a common thing until the CB  mess broke down
in the early 80s and it was often accompanied with  other electronic noise
makers and profanity.  Then that mess started move into the lower (cw)
sections of the 10M band and they got tired of freebanding.

Most of us back when that used CB found it annoying and unneeded especially
for SSB.  The general feeling is it was those that were disruptive or trying to
feel like they were running something important doing it initially.  It was
especially noxious when it appeared in the 80s.  Then it became a feature
on CB radios (a signal that those that were modified for non CB allocated
frequencies) and later Chinese made HTs.

One questions the importance of the beep and its need.  For the Space activities
(Mercury and later) it was needed as the communications were actually full duplex
on the data links and you had to have some way of knowing when the other guy
was done as in really did release the button and it was also to confirm the
button didn't stick as in heard in the astronauts headphone when he released
the button (or VOX).  Until CB adopted it if you heard a over beep  is was likely
a repeater (usually ham) or space based radio (space program).

To date I know of the use of "over beep" appearing is standard communications
systems, those being Space program, Repeaters, military systems that use
satellite links, and CB.

Personally I don't care, if its short and unobtrusive.  It does however represent
a range of what one can do with a MPU of reasonable power and programming.

Allison

Donald <donwestpwl@...>

Okay, you want to hate CB radio, hate it. I might have become a ham when I was a teenager, but the only ham in my area was a less-than-amiable person who didn't want to bother with me. It was, in fact, a CBer-turned-ham who encouraged and helped me get a ham license.

Fortunately for me, I didn't judge all hams by the first one I met.

Donald, KB5PWL

On 10/28/2019 1:13 PM, ajparent1/KB1GMX wrote:
[...]

Roger, good buddy... beep beep.

MRM

On Oct 28, 2019, at 2:13 PM, ajparent1/KB1GMX <kb1gmx@...> wrote:

[...]

Ken Hansen

The beep is commonly referred to as a Roger Beep these days.

Opinions on CB vary by time (decade) and location - during the late 70s, when 'skip' was the order of the day, it was a generally fun thing in both the CA and NJ areas I lived in, and sidebanders stuck to frequencies between 11 and 10 meters, AMers stuck between 12 and 11 meters.

In the 80s, it seemed like the 'CB scene' turned into amplifier festivals, and that persisted in certain cultures to today (every year in Belton Hamfest there's a few guys selling multi "pill" amplifiers that look like horrible home brew projects.

In the 60s I think CB was fairly gentlemanly, but that's based on things I read, not experienced.

Most hams that disparage CBers assume they will bring their 10-codes and odd speech mannerisms to their local repeater and reflect badly on their hobby.

Many hams in my area were once 'big' on CB, running power, beams, etc. and having a few hundred watts of linear power in their mobile.

Where I live now, DFW, there is still a very active REACT club, much to my surprise, and REACT still advertises in CQ magazine as I recall.

Ken, N2VIP

On Oct 28, 2019, at 12:40, Donald <donwestpwl@...> wrote:

I shall never understand this bias against CB radio. I do hope it only occurs in the U.S.A.

Donald, KB5PWL

bobolink

It seems to me this feature would be good for QRP. The tones would get through and alert you to weak signal activity on frequency when voice wouldn’t. Cause you to dig out the station. Turn your antenna or whatever.
I’ve never used CB and it carries no stigma for me.

Allard PE1NWL

Yes, exactly with this in mind I added this feature.
I've also never used CB and wasn't aware of the negative connotation that a Roger Beep can apparently have under registered hams.

73 Allard PE1NWL

ajparent1/KB1GMX <kb1gmx@...>

I was a commercial user and also a first class commercial holder.
I owned a UHF commercial repeater and managed and repaired
two others.  While doing that way back when Also the vast remains
of MF/HF Marine radio before VHF marine took hold and after that too.

CB was useful communications for me then and was a useful adjunct
to the commercial radio (VHF/UHF) as it was cheap and had enough
range form the car and truck.  I have no negative stigma from it.
It allowed me to work with my brother as a work communications tool.

Funny thing about half the CBers I know were Hams and the common
radios like Siltronics 10/11, NCX1000, Yeasu FT101, Tempo-1,
Drake Twins were not uncommon though often turned down to a few
watts as more was unneeded.  Those Hams often encouraged me to
get the code going and join that community.   At that time between Uni
and work CW was the last thing I was interested in.  But working with
them and helping when they had radio issues was part of my
experience, all good.

I got out of CB when it got too wild and less useful in the early 80s
but up till then is  was handy for travel communications as it was
widespread.  Most of the people I met were good people not
unlike most hams.  From personal experience from the mid 60s
though the late 70s CB was not unlike the less DX competitive
parts of ham radio. People got in there and talked, nicely.  Often
we'd get together for breakfast and REACT would run Coffee
and donut stops for the truckers on or near the long haul drags
during holiday weekends and the like.

As to 10codes, really?  They are no different than Q codes and that's
CW tradition talking about practical communications.

The biggest thing against CB is older hams and older folks that remember
when 11M was a ham band.  Some seriously resented loosing that and
getting burned again in the 70s when the lower 2mhz of 220 band went
away.  We forget as hams we have access to a lot of desirable bands
and bandwidth often eyed with much greed by others.

To me its like FRS/GMRS radio.   For practical communications in an emergency
they work and we as hams can set up people that are not hams with CB or FRS
to do useful communications as they are cheap and no license.

So I still have a few mobile radios an even a few CB handhelds for whatever.
Worse comes to worse I can put them on 10M or other bands for legal AM fun.

Allison