Topics

BitX40

Roger Tuffin
 

I bought a BitX40 last week. Checking the contents on arrival, there is a 5 way connector which is supposed to plug in to a 5 way connector on the Raduino board. Except there is no 5 way connector on the board. I have emailed the firm querying how I am supposed to connect this but have not even received a bare acknowledgement of my email.

Any help would be appreciated.

Roger, M0TJK

Vaughn
 

I too have one of these, great little builds but you do need to research.

Best instruction I've found is here

http://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/2017/11/23/wiring-up-the-bitx40/

Best of luck Vaughn, M0VLK

Roger Tuffin
 

Thank you Vaughn.  I would agree with you but sadly, my Raduino connections are not like the one in the picture…. see picture below.

Roger, M0TJK


On 3 Sep 2019, at 6:30 pm, Vaughn <vlkteach@...> wrote:

I too have one of these, great little builds but you do need to research.

Best instruction I've found is here

http://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/2017/11/23/wiring-up-the-bitx40/

Best of luck Vaughn, M0VLK

Jerry Gaffke
 

Roger,


All Raduino's are now built to be plugged into a uBitx, all that has changed is the connector.
(But note that the firmware loaded into the Raduino is different between Bitrx40 and uBitx.)
The 5 pin cable from a Bitx40 does work, just plug it into one side of the Raduino connector
as described in the above post.

Yes, this should be better documented up on hfsignals.com.
But they may feel that the diagram at the top of  http://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/2017/11/23/wiring-up-the-bitx40/
is sufficient for most to blunder their way through somehow.
It does show which 5 pins your cable should connect to, and the orientation.

This is further described in post   https://groups.io/g/BITX20/message/66263

Jerry, KE7ER


On Tue, Sep 3, 2019 at 09:29 AM, Roger Tuffin wrote:
bought a BitX40 last week. Checking the contents on arrival, there is a 5 way connector which is supposed to plug in to a 5 way connector on the Raduino board. Except there is no 5 way connector on the board. I have emailed the firm querying how I am supposed to connect this but have not even received a bare acknowledgement of my email.

Paul KL7FLR
 

Roger, the Raduino connections are confusing but all is necessary is to plug the 5wire connector as show is the attach. Actually the extra connections will be useful for future mods. Works okay
Regards,
Paul

Roger Tuffin
 

Hi Paul

Thanks for that.  So does the yellow wire go into the pin nearest the 575 handwritten on my board?  Only your board looks different to mine.  Also, what happens about connecting the volume control shown in the diagram.  I suppose with a circuit diagram I could trace what’s where, but I’m rather cross that they can’t be bothered to post the pinouts on the web site.

Roger, M0TJK

On 3 Sep 2019, at 7:21 pm, Paul KL7FLR <paulf657@...> wrote:

Roger, the Raduino connections are confusing but all is necessary is to plug the 5wire connector as show is the attach. Actually the extra connections will be useful for future mods. Works okay
Regards,
Paul <Raduino 5 pin plug.jpg>

Jerry Gaffke
 

The yellow wire goes to the pin at the end of the connector.
Pauls photo agrees with the "wiring up" drawing here:
    http://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/2017/11/23/wiring-up-the-bitx40/
except that Paul is showing the backside of the board.

Note that the other end of the yellow wire goes nowhere at all.
But it has 12v on it, so I suggest you put a piece of tape over the end.
If that end brushes over the wrong spot, you can blow a part (or even many parts).
I suggest you put tape over the end of all unused wires.

The volume control is shown in that "wiring up" diagram linked to above,
the text has been clipped of to read "UME" instead of "VOLUME"

The Bitx40 schematic is here:
    http://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/2017/11/23/bitx40-circuit-description/
Under the schematic is a link to get a downloadable copy of the schematic,
unfortunately that link is open.

Yes, I agree.
The instructions on the website should be better, the website needs editing.
But you will have a working rig once you figure out those dozen or so wires,
and that is much easier than building most SSB Transceiver kits.

Jerry, KE7ER


On Tue, Sep 3, 2019 at 02:59 PM, Roger Tuffin wrote:
Thanks for that.  So does the yellow wire go into the pin nearest the 575 handwritten on my board?  Only your board looks different to mine.  Also, what happens about connecting the volume control shown in the diagram.  I suppose with a circuit diagram I could trace what’s where, but I’m rather cross that they can’t be bothered to post the pinouts on the web site.
 

Roger Tuffin
 

Thank you Jerry.  I will take a look tomorrow.  

73

Roger, M0TJK


On 3 Sep 2019, at 11:29 pm, Jerry Gaffke via Groups.Io <jgaffke@...> wrote:

The yellow wire goes to the pin at the end of the connector.
Pauls photo agrees with the "wiring up" drawing here:
    http://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/2017/11/23/wiring-up-the-bitx40/
except that Paul is showing the backside of the board.

Note that the other end of the yellow wire goes nowhere at all.
But it has 12v on it, so I suggest you put a piece of tape over the end.
If that end brushes over the wrong spot, you can blow a part (or even many parts).
I suggest you put tape over the end of all unused wires.

The volume control is shown in that "wiring up" diagram linked to above,
the text has been clipped of to read "UME" instead of "VOLUME"

The Bitx40 schematic is here:
    http://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/2017/11/23/bitx40-circuit-description/
Under the schematic is a link to get a downloadable copy of the schematic,
unfortunately that link is open.

Yes, I agree.
The instructions on the website should be better, the website needs editing.
But you will have a working rig once you figure out those dozen or so wires,
and that is much easier than building most SSB Transceiver kits.

Jerry, KE7ER


On Tue, Sep 3, 2019 at 02:59 PM, Roger Tuffin wrote:
Thanks for that.  So does the yellow wire go into the pin nearest the 575 handwritten on my board?  Only your board looks different to mine.  Also, what happens about connecting the volume control shown in the diagram.  I suppose with a circuit diagram I could trace what’s where, but I’m rather cross that they can’t be bothered to post the pinouts on the web site.
 

Roger Tuffin
 

Sorry Jerry.  Looking at the schematic I meant tuning not volume.  Where do a connect the tuning pot on my board as I only have the 8 way connector other than the pins some of which I’m using for the 5 way connector?

Roger, M0TJK


On 3 Sep 2019, at 11:29 pm, Jerry Gaffke via Groups.Io <jgaffke@...> wrote:

The yellow wire goes to the pin at the end of the connector.
Pauls photo agrees with the "wiring up" drawing here:
    http://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/2017/11/23/wiring-up-the-bitx40/
except that Paul is showing the backside of the board.

Note that the other end of the yellow wire goes nowhere at all.
But it has 12v on it, so I suggest you put a piece of tape over the end.
If that end brushes over the wrong spot, you can blow a part (or even many parts).
I suggest you put tape over the end of all unused wires.

The volume control is shown in that "wiring up" diagram linked to above,
the text has been clipped of to read "UME" instead of "VOLUME"

The Bitx40 schematic is here:
    http://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/2017/11/23/bitx40-circuit-description/
Under the schematic is a link to get a downloadable copy of the schematic,
unfortunately that link is open.

Yes, I agree.
The instructions on the website should be better, the website needs editing.
But you will have a working rig once you figure out those dozen or so wires,
and that is much easier than building most SSB Transceiver kits.

Jerry, KE7ER


On Tue, Sep 3, 2019 at 02:59 PM, Roger Tuffin wrote:
Thanks for that.  So does the yellow wire go into the pin nearest the 575 handwritten on my board?  Only your board looks different to mine.  Also, what happens about connecting the volume control shown in the diagram.  I suppose with a circuit diagram I could trace what’s where, but I’m rather cross that they can’t be bothered to post the pinouts on the web site.
 
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#71633) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic


http://www.phonestack.com/farhan/bitx.html The original BITX
http://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/bitx40/ BITX40 by HFSignals
http://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/ubitx/ uBITX by HFSignals
https://amateurradiokits.in/store/ BITX Store by Sunil
http://ubitx.net/ BITX Web Site of Mike ZL1AXG
https://groups.io/g/BITX20/wiki/home Wiki
Your Subscription |

Jerry Gaffke
 

The 8 pin connector plugs into the top of the Raduino as shown here:
    http://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/2017/11/23/wiring-up-the-bitx40/
and the green,purple,yellow wires from that connector are soldered to the tuning pot.

Make sure all the spare wires from that 8 pin connector have tape over the ends.
There have been several instances here where a Nano on the Raduino was destroyed
when one of those wire ends hit something with 12v on it, perhaps the IRF510 heatsink.

Jerry


On Tue, Sep 3, 2019 at 04:03 PM, Roger Tuffin wrote:
Sorry Jerry.  Looking at the schematic I meant tuning not volume.  Where do a connect the tuning pot on my board as I only have the 8 way connector other than the pins some of which I’m using for the 5 way connector?
 
Roger, M0TJK

Vaughn
 

Hi, is the same only the one in my instructions is turned 180 and has another board on top. All connections go to that one not the display one.

Got mine from hf signals. Good set of parts and lots of help.

Hope you get it sorted Vaughn

Roger Tuffin
 

After triple checking everything, it fired up.  The display was blocks which adjusted with the pot on the Rad board.  Was drawing 140ma on idle initially, but seems to have dropped back to 70ma after having been on for a while.

BUT, whilst there is a soft hiss on the speaker, nothing on receive.  Put the sig gen near on 7.1, but nothing when tuning, although there was a slight noise around 40 megs when I tuned around with the sig gen.  Makes a clack clack noise while tuning which I suppose is the Rad incrementing.  Bizarrely, moving the tuning control near full deflection either way starts the freq counter counting on at about 5 KC’s/sec, such that it will count up to 7.5 and back to 6.9 the other way.  Tuning control is very sensitive.

Any suggestions of tests would be appreciated.  Wondering if I’m just unlucky with a duff DDS.  I have a scope and sig gen.

Roger, M0TJK

On 4 Sep 2019, at 9:49 am, Vaughn <vlkteach@...> wrote:

Hi, is the same only the one in my instructions is turned 180 and has another board on top. All connections go to that one not the display one.

Got mine from hf signals. Good set of parts and lots of help.

Hope you get it sorted Vaughn