Topics

Attach G4HUP buffer to underside of uBITX PCB? #ubitx #sdr

Rob French (KC4UPR)

I'm looking to install the G4HUP buffer similarly to this: https://groups.io/g/BITX20/message/54410

What I'm thinking I'd like to do, is use double-stick tape to attach it to the underside of the uBITX PCB, assuming I'm able to keep the RF input line to the buffer short enough (<5 cm is what the install documentation says, I believe).  My question is, will this (having it attached directly to the uBITX PCB bottom) have any adverse RF effects on uBITX receive?  (I know it shouldn't affect transmit, since the buffer will be powered off during transmit.)  I am not using this as a replacement for my uBITX receiver, but rather as a panadaptor output, so I don't want to muck up my RX!

Thanks!
Rob KC4UPR

ajparent1/KB1GMX

That would seem a reasonable way to proceed.
there is a larger area of copper under the board
that is mostly ground (circuit common).

Ideally a wire under 1cm is a good thing but in
general shorter is better and in general a solid
short ground from the buffer to the ubitx board
is desired as well.

Allison

Joe Puma

I have a G4HUP for my yaesu ft840 and took those precautions but I just tapped IF from the top side without issue on my uBitx.  I think I have a cap in place but tried resistors and I’ve noticed a drop in receive with it and also with a straight tap.

Joe
kd2nfc