Topics

Assembly instructions for the ubitx v4

Mario Koppensteiner

Hello bitx20 list,

I do own an ubitx v4 build kit and an Nextion 4.3 inch Display. In July I did order a metal case for this transceiver. Now I want to build this transceiver.

I didn't find the assembly instructions for the ubitx v4. Please provide me a Link.

thanks

73

Mario Koppensteiner
OE5MKE

Viktors Miske

Mario, give this site a shot;
http://ubitx.net/

Rick Price

Mario,
Attached V4 mini manual that N5WLF wrote. I had a copy in my files. Hope it
helps you in your build.

Rick
KN4AIE

I do own an ubitx v4 build kit and an Nextion 4.3 inch Display. In July I
did order a metal case for this transceiver. Now I want to build this
transceiver.

I didn't find the assembly instructions for the ubitx v4. Please provide me
a Link.

thanks

73

Mario Koppensteiner
OE5MKE

Curt

Mario

Hfsignals has builder info, but you have to click the link for previous versions.

You didn't say which case, maybe from amateurradiokits.in? see if they still have info, at one time they also had a website at ubitx.com

Blending rig and case instructions takes some patience. v4 isn't a follow exact instructions kit, but a homebuild adventure. I suggest building first with lcd, then later changing displays.

Curt

Bob Lunsford

If I remember correctly on my V4 build, there are/were no specific assembly instructions. I used the block diagram for the wiring which made sure to connect everything where it needed to go. Double and triple checking before moving to the next step is what gave me confidence that all was going in the right direction. It did not take long, though. In about 30 minutes or so, it was all done as long as you have everything mounted, etc. Some may want to haywire the radio on the bench and check it out before mounting but after mounting it on the base with front and back panels attached, the wiring went pretty smoothly.

Bob — KK5R

On Saturday, August 15, 2020, 5:52:57 PM EDT, Mario Koppensteiner <mariok@...> wrote:

Hello bitx20 list,

I do own an ubitx v4 build kit and an Nextion 4.3 inch Display. In July
I did order a metal case for this transceiver. Now I want to build this
transceiver.

I didn't find the assembly instructions for the ubitx v4. Please provide
me a Link.

thanks

73

Mario Koppensteiner
OE5MKE

Hi Mario,

Go to the Wiki section of this website, then to uBitx Topics, then uBitx Assembly.  We hide it really well here ;-)

You may also need to do a small fix on the audio amp since I think most v4's have biasing issues there.  Check this post and the accompanying thread as it covers it well:  https://groups.io/g/BITX20/message/53356

73,

Mark

Evan Hand

Mario,
The Mini manual that Rick Price provided contains the following information from HF Signals:
https://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/ubitx-wire-up/

Both can be used to wire-up the uBITX v3, v4, or v5 manual with the stock configuration.  I would highly recommend that you verify stock operation before you add the Nextion display.  You might want to do that before you mount it in the case.

After you get it working stock, then here is the original link by Dr. Lee (KD8CEC) for adding the Nextion display:
http://www.hamskey.com/2018/06/ubitx-with-nextion-lcd-cec-firmware.html

The current version for the KD8CEC firmware is now 1.2 that you can get here:
https://github.com/phdlee/ubitx/releases/tag/v1.20

Be sure to use the correct file for the version 4 uBITX.  It is in the uBITXV234 folder NOT the uBITXV5.

You will also need the .tft screen files for the Nextion.  The link that I have may not be the best, but can get you started:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CpfVWastQRHWSDt_TC9Dd2PHnLdrG_9a/view
You can also search the files on Groups.io for Nextion screen files to match the size and model Nextion display that you have.

Hope this helps.
73
Evan
AC9TU

Mario Koppensteiner

Hello Viktor,

Am 15.08.2020 23:55, schrieb Viktors Miske:
Mario, give this site a shot;
http://ubitx.net/
I tried this site already.

[...]

73

Mario Koppensteiner
OE5MKE

Mario Koppensteiner

Hello bitx20 List,

I bought the uBitx Nextion Case for 4.3 Inch Display [1] case.

I got a note that there is the LA4425 transistor missing. I did a internet picture search about this transsistor and found this [2]. This transistor does have 5 terminals. On the PCB there are 3 holes and not 5. Please provide me a picture of the PCB with the LA4425 transistor soldered in.

Can you suggest a source in the internet to get the LA4425 transistor?

Links:
[1] https://amateurradiokits.in/product/ubitx-nextion-case-for-4-3-inch-display/
[2] https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/s9MAAOSwHnFVxLbm/s-l640.jpg

73

Mario Koppensteiner
OE5MKE

Am 15.08.2020 23:52, schrieb Mario Koppensteiner:

Hello bitx20 list,
I do own an ubitx v4 build kit and an Nextion 4.3 inch Display. In
July I did order a metal case for this transceiver. Now I want to
build this transceiver.
I didn't find the assembly instructions for the ubitx v4. Please
provide me a Link.
thanks
73
Mario Koppensteiner
OE5MKE

Mario Koppensteiner

Hello curt,

Am 16.08.2020 02:16, schrieb Curt via groups.io:
Mario
Hfsignals has builder info, but you have to click the link for
previous versions.
I tried this already.

You didn't say which case, maybe from amateurradiokits.in? see if they
still have info, at one time they also had a website at ubitx.com
Sorry. I bought the 4.3 inch Metal case [1].

Blending rig and case instructions takes some patience. v4 isn't a
follow exact instructions kit, but a homebuild adventure. I suggest
building first with lcd, then later changing displays.
So there is no follow exact instructions guide?

Links:
[1] https://amateurradiokits.in/product/ubitx-nextion-case-for-4-3-inch-display/

[...]

73

Mario Koppensteiner
OE5MKE

Mario Koppensteiner

Hello Mark,

Am 16.08.2020 04:26, schrieb Mark - N7EKU:
Hi Mario,
Go to the Wiki section of this website, then to uBitx Topics, then
uBitx Assembly. We hide it really well here ;-)
I found this one [1]. The wiring diagram is for ubitx v5. I do own an ubitx v4. What is the difference between the v4 and the v5?

You may also need to do a small fix on the audio amp since I think
most v4's have biasing issues there. Check this post and the
accompanying thread as it covers it well:
https://groups.io/g/BITX20/message/53356
thanks for the info.

Links:
[1] https://groups.io/g/BITX20/wiki/5696

73

Mario Koppensteiner
OE5MKE

Evan Hand

Mario,
From the links and your description, I assume that you have an Amatuerradiokits case with the audio amplifier.  If that is correct, then the data that I have shows a TA4225 (not a TA4425) audio amp IC as the audio amp.  That is a 5 terminal device, not 3.  That board is very cramped, so it could be that the silk screening is really pointing out the TA4225 5 pin socket and not the 3 holes that are close by.

Attached are the 2 pdf files that I have for the audio amp.

My guess is that the 3 hole location is for the onboard "volume" control that is really a maximum volume control as the front panel volume control is used to adjust the volume in operation.  You should have a blue 3 terminal variable resistor that goes into that location.

Please verify the above before you start any modifications or soldering.  If you need more help, I would suggest that you post a picture of the board and the location so that we can better help you.

73
Evan
AC9TU

Sunil Lakhani

Kindly check U1 it is LA4425 with 5 holes on the audio amp board as in picture.
You can buy from aliexpress .
Best of 73s

Mario Koppensteiner

Hello Sunil Lakhani

Am 17.08.2020 14:48, schrieb Sunil Lakhani:
Kindly check U1 it is LA4425 with 5 holes on the audio amp board as in
picture.
Thanks. It was my mistake.

You can buy from aliexpress .
I did order this LA4425 from aliexpress.

[...]

73

Mario Koppensteiner
OE5MKE

Sunil Lakhani

Thanks for letting me know.
Best regards

On Tue, 18 Aug 2020, 04:16 Mario Koppensteiner, <mariok@...> wrote:
Hello Sunil Lakhani

Am 17.08.2020 14:48, schrieb Sunil Lakhani:
> Kindly check U1 it is LA4425 with 5 holes on the audio amp board as in
> picture.

Thanks. It was my mistake.

> You can buy from aliexpress .

I did order this LA4425 from aliexpress.

[...]

73

Mario Koppensteiner
OE5MKE

Mario Koppensteiner

Hello Rick,

Am 16.08.2020 00:50, schrieb Rick Price:
Mario,
Attached V4 mini manual that N5WLF wrote. I had a copy in my files. Hope it
helps you in your build.
I do have an different case. So the manual does not match my ubitx nextion case for 4.3 inch Display [1].

Links:
[1] https://amateurradiokits.in/product/ubitx-nextion-case-for-4-3-inch-display/

73

Mario Koppensteiner
OE5MKE

Mario Koppensteiner

Hello Rick,

Am 20.08.2020 00:40, schrieb Rick Price:

Hello Mario,
Yes, I saw in one of your messages after I sent the file that you had a
nextion case from amateurradio kits. If you still do not have the
instructions for assembly follow the link below and go to the bottom of the
page. There you will find a file with all of the instructions to download
for the ubitx nextion case.

https://amateurradiokits.in/downloads/

I did download this 7z archive already. There are lots of pictures included of an already assembled ubitx. most of the wires are brown and black on the pictures and you can't follow the single wires on the pictures. So I still do not have a plan how to wire the terminals of the AGC and the AMP.

Please help!

73

Mario Koppensteiner
OE5MKE

Mario Koppensteiner

Hello Bob,

Am 16.08.2020 03:22, schrieb Bob Lunsford via groups.io:
If I remember correctly on my V4 build, there are/were no specific
assembly instructions. I used the block diagram for the wiring which
made sure to connect everything where it needed to go.
Did you are the AGC and the AMP too?

[...]

73

Mario Koppensteiner
OE5MKE

Mario Koppensteiner

Hello Evan,

Am 17.08.2020 13:23, schrieb Evan Hand:
Mario,
From the links and your description, I assume that you have an
Amatuerradiokits case with the audio amplifier.
Yes I have.

If that is correct,
then the data that I have shows a TA4225 (not a TA4425) audio amp IC
as the audio amp. That is a 5 terminal device, not 3. That board is
very cramped, so it could be that the silk screening is really
pointing out the TA4225 5 pin socket and not the 3 holes that are
close by.
Sorry for the confusion. The part has 5 terminals. That's true.l

Attached are the 2 pdf files that I have for the audio amp.
I saw this already in the documentation. On the first pdf there are 3 terminals shown. The top one is for the power. the middle is labed "A/IN" and the bottom terminal is labled "AGC V". Both Terminals do have 2 pins each. Where should I connect this pins of the 2 terminals?

My guess is that the 3 hole location is for the onboard "volume"
control that is really a maximum volume control as the front panel
volume control is used to adjust the volume in operation. You should
have a blue 3 terminal variable resistor that goes into that location.
true

[...]

Please help me to get this AGC and the AMP connected.

73

Mario Koppensteiner
OE5MKE

Mario Koppensteiner

Hello Mark,

Am 17.08.2020 14:43, schrieb Mark M.:
Hi Mario,
The diagram is actually good for three versions (v3, v4, v5). The ham
who posted the one you looked at just put a wrong title in (probably
because he had a v5). The original diagram was done by W4RJP and was
for the v3 (see link further down that section). The only difference
between the three versions are some mainboard changes, the connections
are still all the same.
thank you for your response.

I still need to know how to connect the AGC and the AMP to the ubitx board.

73

Mario Koppensteiner
OE5MKE