Topics

Ardunio nano D7

BevTed Stanier

I have a BITX40 V3. I have installed the mods and updated the software to 1.29. Every thing works except CW TX. I,E, no power out.
The TX/RX mod does not operate by paralleling the PTT relay. The menu items all work OK. The CW tone works on key down.
I have checked D7 with the mod to the TR/TX mod disconnected and the D7 pin 16 does not change level.I.E. does not go high on key down.
I assume that the ARDUNIO NANO must be toast.
Need advice on how to proceed. Is it possible to replace the NANO or do I need to replace the whole Radunio?
What is the best source for parts?
All advice would be appreciated.
73 VA7CTA   Ted

Skip Davis

Did you install the resistor in the key line?

Skip Davis, NC9O

On Sep 18, 2020, at 18:43, BevTed Stanier <bevtedstan@...> wrote:

I have a BITX40 V3. I have installed the mods and updated the software to 1.29. Every thing works except CW TX. I,E, no power out.
The TX/RX mod does not operate by paralleling the PTT relay. The menu items all work OK. The CW tone works on key down.
I have checked D7 with the mod to the TR/TX mod disconnected and the D7 pin 16 does not change level.I.E. does not go high on key down.
I assume that the ARDUNIO NANO must be toast.
Need advice on how to proceed. Is it possible to replace the NANO or do I need to replace the whole Radunio?
What is the best source for parts?
All advice would be appreciated.
73 VA7CTA   Ted

Evan Hand

Ted,
In reading through Allard's modification on Github, I noted that you need to install a PTT Sense line to A0 of the Nano.  In the writeup it states that SSB will transmit without the sense line, CW will NOT work without that addition.  There are other features that require the sens line per the writeup.
https://github.com/amunters/bitx40/blob/master/operating-instructions.md

Before you throw out the Nano, verify that the sense line is working.
73
Evan
AC9TU

BevTed Stanier

Evan

Thanks for your reply. I do have a black wire going from A0 to C150 with a 10k resistor in series.

My thinking was that D7 was not activating the PTT which should activate the PTT Sense signal at A0. But looking at it again it looks like it’s the TX signal via the U3 to A0 is the PTT sense. I will check that there is a level change on pin 1 of U3 when the PTT relay is activated. Not sure what pin 1 of U3 is, just expected it was a 5v outlet. I’ll check what is happening on A0. Kind of like a chicken and egg situation maybe?

Thanks

Ted

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

In reading through Allard's modification on Github, I noted that you need to install a PTT Sense line to A0 of the Nano.  In the writeup it states that SSB will transmit without the sense line, CW will NOT work without that addition.  There are other features that require the sens line per the writeup.
https://github.com/amunters/bitx40/blob/master/operating-instructions.md

Before you throw out the Nano, verify that the sense line is working.
73
Evan
AC9TU

BevTed Stanier

Skip
Yes I did install that resistor.
Ted

On Sep 18, 2020, at 6:14 PM, Skip Davis via groups.io <skipnc9o@...> wrote:

Did you install the resistor in the key line?

Skip Davis, NC9O

On Sep 18, 2020, at 18:43, BevTed Stanier <bevtedstan@...> wrote:

I have a BITX40 V3. I have installed the mods and updated the software to 1.29. Every thing works except CW TX. I,E, no power out.
The TX/RX mod does not operate by paralleling the PTT relay. The menu items all work OK. The CW tone works on key down.
I have checked D7 with the mod to the TR/TX mod disconnected and the D7 pin 16 does not change level.I.E. does not go high on key down.
I assume that the ARDUNIO NANO must be toast.
Need advice on how to proceed. Is it possible to replace the NANO or do I need to replace the whole Radunio?
What is the best source for parts?
All advice would be appreciated.
73 VA7CTA   Ted

Allard PE1NWL

Hi Ted,

also please make sure that semiQSK in ON in the SETTINGS menu (cw params section).
If it is OFF, you need to manually keep PTT activated while keying CW.,
If it is ON, PTT will become activated (TX) automatically as soon as you start keying CW, and deactivated (RX) after you stop keying.

73 Allard PE1NWL

BevTed Stanier

Bingo

Semi QSK was off. Now have 5v out of D7 and very small power out when holding PTT down and keying.

Next I’ll look at getting a transistor in there that will turn on the PTT relay. TX-RX mod. Made a note in my manual.

Will try to find out if a 2n2222 will do the job.

Thanks.

Ted

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

also please make sure that semiQSK in ON in the SETTINGS menu (cw params section).
If it is OFF, you need to manually keep PTT activated while keying CW.,
If it is ON, PTT will become activated (TX) automatically as soon as you start keying CW, and deactivated (RX) after you stop keying.

73 Allard PE1NWL

Allard PE1NWL

Hi Ted,

For the TX-RX mod see https://github.com/amunters/bitx40/blob/master/TX-RX%20line%20wiring.png
Almost any standard NPN transistor will do the job. A 2n2222 should work fine!

73 Allard PE1NWL

BevTed Stanier

Allard

Thanks Allard that explains a lot as to how this thing (cw) works.

More later.

Ted

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

also please make sure that semiQSK in ON in the SETTINGS menu (cw params section).
If it is OFF, you need to manually keep PTT activated while keying CW.,
If it is ON, PTT will become activated (TX) automatically as soon as you start keying CW, and deactivated (RX) after you stop keying.

73 Allard PE1NWL

BevTed Stanier

Looks like this didn’t send earlier>>>

Hi Allard and Evan.

Yes I had installed this mod using a 2n2222 but took it out when it would not go into TX on key down CW. but as suggested the QSK was set to OFF. Then I reconnected the 2n2222 in the TX_RX wiring mod and now that works too.

Looks like the 2n2222 may not be quite as robust as the 2n3904 but does the job. I set the QSK delay to about 700ms which reduced the amount of switching between RX and TX (due to my slow CW) but I do get a spurious burst of noise when TX turns on. I have installed the PTT Sense mod but still get that noise. Output to a 50 ohm dummy load is about 4 volts p to p and not a good sine wave. I’ll do some more investigating as well as go back to setting the bias on the PA (current).

Thanks again..slow progress but fun.

Ted 73

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Almost any standard NPN transistor will do the job. A 2n2222 should work fine!

73 Allard PE1NWL

Allard PE1NWL

#define TX_DELAY 65 // delay (ms) to prevent spurious burst that is emitted when switching from RX to TX
// RX-TX burst prevention

#define TX_DELAY 65 // delay (ms) to prevent spurious burst that is emitted when switching from RX to TX

Allard PE1NWL

Hi again Ted,

so it seems you're getting back on track, good!

As for the RX-TX burst:
The firmware has a built-in TX-delay to prevent the spurious burst - the default delay is 65 ms but you may want to experiment with slightly higher values.
In that case you can edit line 80 and recompile and upload again:

#define TX_DELAY 65 // delay (ms) to prevent spurious burst that is emitted when switching from RX to TX

73 Allard PE1NWL

BevTed Stanier

Tnx Allard
That takes me in to a whole new area to learn. Will try but may need more help.
In the interim what should the p to p voltage be on the out to dummy load?
Ted

On Sep 20, 2020, at 12:52 PM, Allard PE1NWL <pe1nwl@...> wrote:

Hi again Ted,

so it seems you're getting back on track, good!

As for the RX-TX burst:
The firmware has a built-in TX-delay to prevent the spurious burst - the default delay is 65 ms but you may want to experiment with slightly higher values.
In that case you can edit line 80 and recompile and upload again:

#define TX_DELAY 65 // delay (ms) to prevent spurious burst that is emitted when switching from RX to TX

73 Allard PE1NWL

Allard PE1NWL

Hi Ted,
I've never actually measured the peak-to-peak voltage of my BitX40, but this is how I would calculate it:

I believe the output power of a BitX40 is about 7 Watts. The output impedance is 50 Ohms.
With a 50 Ohms load, the output RMS voltage would be: SQRT(7W x 50 Ohms) = SQRT(350)  = 18.7 Veff

However this is RMS Voltage (Effective voltage), the peak voltage is about 1.414 times higher:
peak voltage is SQRT(2) x 18.7 Veff= 26.5 Volts.

Note that this is the peak voltage as measured from the baseline (0 V).
So the peak-to-peak voltage is twice this value: 2 x 26.5 = 53 Vpp.

73 Allard PE1NWL

BevTed Stanier

Hi Allard,

Yes that is about what I calculated but I only read approx.. 6 v p-p on an oscilloscope with a 1x probe.

Something is fishy, as I read a current draw of approx. 1 amp on LSB and a loud HEEELOW, on the PA supply feed.  Thanks. Will get back soon.

Hope you had a good weekend.

73 Ted

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I've never actually measured the peak-to-peak voltage of my BitX40, but this is how I would calculate it:

I believe the output power of a BitX40 is about 7 Watts. The output impedance is 50 Ohms.
With a 50 Ohms load, the output RMS voltage would be: SQRT(7W x 50 Ohms) = SQRT(350)  = 18.7 Veff

However this is RMS Voltage (Effective voltage), the peak voltage is about 1.414 times higher:
peak voltage is SQRT(2) x 18.7 Veff= 26.5 Volts.

Note that this is the peak voltage as measured from the baseline (0 V).
So the peak-to-peak voltage is twice this value: 2 x 26.5 = 53 Vpp.

73 Allard PE1NWL

BevTed Stanier

Thanks Allard

Fixed my p-p v output problem. Another  self caused problem.

Now I can move on to learning about software for TX_DELAY. Wish me luck as my learning curve gets steeper. Hi

73 Ted

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

so it seems you're getting back on track, good!

As for the RX-TX burst:
The firmware has a built-in TX-delay to prevent the spurious burst - the default delay is 65 ms but you may want to experiment with slightly higher values.
In that case you can edit line 80 and recompile and upload again:

#define TX_DELAY 65 // delay (ms) to prevent spurious burst that is emitted when switching from RX to TX

73 Allard PE1NWL

Allard PE1NWL

Good luck Ted, I'm sure you'll be able to sort this out too!

73 Allard PE1NWL

BevTed Stanier

Not knowing anything about C++, Ardunios, Radunios, microprocessors, IDEs, INOs? And a host of other things, I bought a “Super Starter Kit UNO R3 Project” and that helped a lot.

I was able to find the BITX40 Sketch v1.29, edit RX_DELAY, compile and  upload it to the BITX40.

Bingo..it worked.

First licensed in 1959 (VA3CTA) but away form electronics for forty some years, catching up is hard to do.

I read all the group msgs. Although I don’t understand a lot of them, a little kernel of knowledge here and there helps.

Thank you again for all that you do and to all in the group.

73

Ted VA7CTA

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Good luck Ted, I'm sure you'll be able to sort this out too!

73 Allard PE1NWL

Allard PE1NWL

Well you've done it again, Ted!
Just curious: by how many milliseconds did you need to increase the TX_DELAY value?

73 Allard PE1NWL

BevTed Stanier

Just changing it was my accomplishment!  Hi.
120 ms. But I can't say that did much to improve it. Will keep increasing it and see what happens.
By the way "mode change" now only works with "key down" to go to CW and PTT to go to SSB. Upper and Lower still works the same. Not a big problem.
Ted