Topics

arduino-yun-rev-2 anyone looked at feasibility of swapping out the Arduino Uno for the Yun?

rpremooak@...

This could create some interesting integrations

ramonlh@...

Jack, W8TEE

Why would anyone be interested in swapping anything for a yun? It's essentially an Uno/Nano but at 10x the price. For less than half that price, the Teensy 4 has 2MB of flash vs 32KB, 1MB of SRAM  vs 2.5KB, and is clocked at 600MHz instead of 16MHz. I wanted to see what that really means for a book I'm working on, so I wrote a simple loop that does nothing but increment a counter for a 1 second time slice. The results;

     Yun                Teensy 4.0
    7,303             199,979,425

It's not a fair test because the counter needed to be a 32-bit long, but still...

To me, paying 10x the Nano price (and over 2x the Teensy 4.0 price) isn't worth it for a few more analog pins and 512 bytes of SRAM.

Jack, W8TEE

On Friday, June 26, 2020, 5:17:34 PM EDT, ramonlh@... <ramonlh@...> wrote:

--
Jack, W8TEE

rpremo

I'm interested in running a python program I wrote not sure the practical ability of the linux side based on RAM for me it's interesting to integrate with the program I wrote

[...]

Todd Carney

Ramon--

Para responder a su pregunta, no hay ninguna razón por la cual un Yun no se puede usar en lugar de un Nano (con el pin habitual y los ajustes de configuración).

Su proyecto usando el ESP32 suena interesante. La capacidad de WIFI podría ser útil. Con respecto a su uso de python, ¿se refiere al intérprete estándar (cpython) o se refiere a micropython o circuitpython (Adafruit)?

Si vas a usar un Yun (¿para un proyecto diferente?), Lo último que busqué fue python2.7 cpython. Con suerte, puede ejecutar una de las versiones 3.x en su lugar.

73,

Todd K7TFC

Todd Carney

Possible reasons for using a Yun:

1. You already own one.
2. You want to use it for several projects and you prefer to standardize.
3. You want to use its linux and python integrations.
4. You want to use its WIFI and Ethernet capabilities.
5. You want to use it because you want to use it, and you don't have to explain yourself to strangers.

Also: "There are more things in heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet, Act I, Scene 5

MVS Sarma

I understand tha YUN  is now a retired board with atmega32
While get much improved ones , cheap enough,  i feel we can try  better ones, especially when we use for multipke project trials.

Regards
Sarma vu3zmv

On Sat, 27 Jun 2020, 9:34 am Todd Carney, <carneytf@...> wrote:
Possible reasons for using a Yun:

1. You already own one.
2. You want to use it for several projects and you prefer to standardize.
3. You want to use its linux and python integrations.
4. You want to use its WIFI and Ethernet capabilities.
5. You want to use it because you want to use it, and you don't have to explain yourself to strangers.

Also: "There are more things in heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet, Act I, Scene 5

Jerry Gaffke

The Yun is pretty cool.
In addition to the Arduino compatible ATMega-32U4, it has an Atheros AR9331 running linux.

From https://store.arduino.cc/usa/arduino-yun
##############
The Atheros processor supports a Linux distribution based on OpenWrt named Linino OS. The board has built-in Ethernet and WiFi support, a USB-A port, micro-SD card slot, 20 digital input/output pins (7 of them can be used as PWM outputs and 12 as analog inputs), a 16 MHz crystal oscillator, a micro USB connection, an ICSP header, and 3 reset buttons.
The Yún distinguishes itself from other Arduino boards by its ability to communicate with the Linux distribution onboard, offering a powerful networked computer with the ease of an Arduino. In addition to Linux commands like the cURL, you can write your own shell and python scripts for robust interactions. The Yún is similar to the Leonardo with the ATmega32u4, except that it has Linux on board. (has built-in USB communication, eliminating the need for a secondary processor).
##############

If I needed python and WiFi and such, I'd probably look first at a Raspberry Pi.
But the Yun is an interesting alternative, and would support all the Arduino ATMega libraries.

Jerry, KE7ER

it has On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 06:54 PM, Jack, W8TEE wrote:

Why would anyone be interested in swapping anything for a yun? It's essentially an Uno/Nano but at 10x the price. For less than half that price, the Teensy 4 has 2MB of flash vs 32KB, 1MB of SRAM  vs 2.5KB, and is clocked at 600MHz instead of 16MHz. I wanted to see what that really means for a book I'm working on, so I wrote a simple loop that does nothing but increment a counter for a 1 second time slice. The results;

     Yun                Teensy 4.0
    7,303             199,979,425

It's not a fair test because the counter needed to be a 32-bit long, but still...

To me, paying 10x the Nano price (and over 2x the Teensy 4.0 price) isn't worth it for a few more analog pins and 512 bytes of SRAM.

Jack, W8TEE

rpremo

There is a new version of the YUN rev2

https://store.arduino.cc/usa/arduino-yun-rev-2 ~$45

Jerry and Todd in addition to your explanation and I have thought of integrating with a RPI which I am already doing now but was interested in the form factor and the integration on one board but probably too many compromises.  If the Linux side is 64 MB so might be tough to do a lot with something like FLDigi integrated but should work fine for the python program I am using.

One thought I had but I think the RAM would be tight to do would be to run FlDigi as well on the Linux side.

The project that I am working on is grabbing sensor data from Arduino side and sending it using FlMsg forms for local data collection processing for FlDigi as outbound messages.  I like the idea of sharing the display for both the radio and the Python program and if enough RAM though I would imagine it might be pushing it based on the FlDigi RAM side

In addition to the Arduino compatible ATMega-32U4, it has an Atheros AR9331 running linux.

From https://store.arduino.cc/usa/arduino-yun
##############
[...]

Absolutely true on all points, but for some of those goals (e.g., WIFI, bluetooth, etc.) there cheaper and considerably more powerful options (e.g., the ESP32 @ $10 instead of $45) available. That's what I meant for someone starting at ground zero.

Jack, W8TEE

On Saturday, June 27, 2020, 12:04:05 AM EDT, Todd Carney <carneytf@...> wrote:

Possible reasons for using a Yun:

1. You already own one.
2. You want to use it for several projects and you prefer to standardize.
3. You want to use its linux and python integrations.
4. You want to use its WIFI and Ethernet capabilities.
5. You want to use it because you want to use it, and you don't have to explain yourself to strangers.

Also: "There are more things in heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet, Act I, Scene 5

--
Jack, W8TEE

rpremooak@...

As a side note the Arduino Nano is ~$22 from Arduino.cc (yes cheaper from other sources and board manufacturers); from the same source, the arduino-yun-rev-2 (which is the newer version) is ~$45 so it's 2x cost not 10x just to update.