Topics

Antenna Question #antennas #v3

Good news Chris! It never hurts to have the landlords blessing. I hope it all works out out.

Joel
N6ALT

Gordon Gibby

Be mindful of a lot of metal on the roof. We have installed antennas on the top of two professional buildings, that both had extensive metal flashing and extensive  lightning arresting systems.

These appear to create RF coupling to the antenna that we placed, and we had to move the antenna as far away from them as possible to get in and impedances to look anything like what we are used to.   When the antenna was 5-8 feet or so above all of this metal, impedances in the five ohm range were measured which should have been 50 to 75     We were forced to move antennas way off the roof to the side or above to get manageable impedances.

Gordon. KX4z

On Mar 13, 2020, at 16:38, Joel Caulkins/N6ALT <caulktel@...> wrote:

Good news Chris! It never hurts to have the landlords blessing. I hope it all works out out.

Joel
N6ALT

Christopher Miller

The roof is covered in solar panels. The plan as it stands is to run the dipole along the edge of the roof. This is not ideal but works. The main drive is to keep idiots from getting ref burns.

This seems like my best option.

Chris KF4FTR

Curt

Chris

there is a bit of 'science' to feeding an effective antenna, particularly if coax is involved.  as well as Gordon's query regarding metal on the roof (but if there is maybe you can be much more than about 5 feet away).

you can buy or construct an end-few halfwave.  myantennas has some, but since you only need around 10 watts for the ubitx - you may look at various sources including qrpguys.  (i see they have a matching unit kit for $20 that I think should work even if you are limited to a 40m size (around 65 feet length).  i mention them as ordering one ferrite toroid can be a challenge - note their shipping cost around $6 might tempt you to order a couple things at once).

do network with the gang to implement an effective antenna.  glad your new friends are using your fun for a break in the monotony.  keep everyone safe.

73 curt

Gordon Gibby

Those solar panels and their associated inverters may  create a huge amount of RF noise for you

On Mar 13, 2020, at 19:37, Curt via Groups.Io <wb8yyy@...> wrote:

[...]

Measure the noise during the day and during the night and if it is vastly different that will let you know that you’re picking up noise from the inverters.

You can measure the audio output AC voltage with the volume control in the same position each time, at empty places in the band.

On Mar 13, 2020, at 20:35, Gordon Gibby via Groups.Io <docvacuumtubes@...> wrote:

[...]

Hello

I’m aware of the possible issue. I thought the same, however the equipment and batteries are all 3 floors down and on the back of my building. I tested my bitx today and while there was a lot of noise I could easily pick out wwv at 10 MHz. I’m obviously not going to be a prize winning station. However considering the fact that I live in a slum and my landlord is allowing me to hang an antenna on my apartment building at around 40 feet is progress.

Now to laminate signs with the rf symbol on them.

Chris

Christopher Miller

That is a good idea, but again I can’t change my environment. I didn’t hear a lot of noise today but it’s a little late to try now.

I am going to hang my dipole and get a pass through opened tomorrow.

I’ll start working on noise issues as soon as I have the rig set up at least on 20.

Chris

Dexter N Muir

Great news. Now educate them both to the advantage of your now being a communications node when other means fail.

73 de ZL2DEX

Christopher Miller

I did, they both understand and I am making my first attempt today if I can get at a drill and bit to let the coax in. The maintenance manager was in to cb so he loves it lol.

Chris

Gordon Gibby

If you learn how to use some low signal digital modes, such as FT8,JS8 and even narrow ARDOP WINMOR.... You are likely to have a lot of fun

On Mar 14, 2020, at 07:56, Christopher Miller <djmalak2k6@...> wrote:

I did, they both understand and I am making my first attempt today if I can get at a drill and bit to let the coax in. The maintenance manager was in to cb so he loves it lol.

Chris

Christopher Miller

That actually is something I am worrying about.

I need to buy a cable to bring the usb out so I can plug my pc in. I know things have changed sine I used packet radio so woot! As soon as I get the guts to open the case.

Gordon Gibby

You will need some sort of a sound card adapter.  you can buy a signal link for $100, or you can make the thing yourself for about 20. But it will be a learning experience

On Mar 14, 2020, at 09:37, Christopher Miller <djmalak2k6@...> wrote:

That actually is something I am worrying about.

I need to buy a cable to bring the usb out so I can plug my pc in. I know things have changed sine I used packet radio so woot! As soon as I get the guts to open the case.

Andy_501 <andrew.webb.501.ve4per@...>

You might want to try one of these C5000 it likely will be 1/2 & 1/2 learning and prebuilt. Just have to google search correct two pins to cross connect in order to power the card from the USB port 5 VDC supply when in use.  see att.  I believe it may be avlbl at digi key for about $10-$15

On 2020-03-14 8:58 a.m., Gordon Gibby wrote:
You will need some sort of a sound card adapter.  you can buy a signal link for $100, or you can make the thing yourself for about 20. But it will be a learning experience

On Mar 14, 2020, at 09:37, Christopher Miller <djmalak2k6@...> wrote:

That actually is something I am worrying about.

I need to buy a cable to bring the usb out so I can plug my pc in. I know things have changed sine I used packet radio so woot! As soon as I get the guts to open the case.

Christopher Miller

Let me get the usb for cat control out of the case first. Lol

Chris

Andy_501 <andrew.webb.501.ve4per@...>

Here is pdf spec sheet for USB AUDIO Module

On 2020-03-14 8:58 a.m., Gordon Gibby wrote:
You will need some sort of a sound card adapter.  you can buy a signal link for $100, or you can make the thing yourself for about 20. But it will be a learning experience

On Mar 14, 2020, at 09:37, Christopher Miller <djmalak2k6@...> wrote:

That actually is something I am worrying about.

I need to buy a cable to bring the usb out so I can plug my pc in. I know things have changed sine I used packet radio so woot! As soon as I get the guts to open the case.

Andy_501 <andrew.webb.501.ve4per@...>

Further info on C5Audio1 USB sound card latest price I found on digikey $17.01 Cdn see att info jumper req'd on bottom between card edge connector pins to power card from USB port from PC so launchpad not needed and can be mounted inside a #V6 case if used with it. Two screws bolts it to top spkr cover plate and USB cable to PC can be routed through small hole with rubber grommet in back panel.

On 2020-03-14 8:58 a.m., Gordon Gibby wrote:
You will need some sort of a sound card adapter.  you can buy a signal link for $100, or you can make the thing yourself for about 20. But it will be a learning experience

On Mar 14, 2020, at 09:37, Christopher Miller <djmalak2k6@...> wrote:

That actually is something I am worrying about.

I need to buy a cable to bring the usb out so I can plug my pc in. I know things have changed sine I used packet radio so woot! As soon as I get the guts to open the case.

Andy_501 <andrew.webb.501.ve4per@...>

And here is spec sheet and pictorial info showing audio connections to make patch cable to route into uBITx TX and RX audio paths

On 2020-03-14 8:58 a.m., Gordon Gibby wrote:
You will need some sort of a sound card adapter.  you can buy a signal link for $100, or you can make the thing yourself for about 20. But it will be a learning experience

On Mar 14, 2020, at 09:37, Christopher Miller <djmalak2k6@...> wrote:

That actually is something I am worrying about.

I need to buy a cable to bring the usb out so I can plug my pc in. I know things have changed sine I used packet radio so woot! As soon as I get the guts to open the case.

Andy_501 <andrew.webb.501.ve4per@...>

maybe HF signals will come out with something similar and have it's firmware tailored to meet tighter comm audio specs rather than standard audio/music specs

On 2020-03-14 8:58 a.m., Gordon Gibby wrote:
You will need some sort of a sound card adapter.  you can buy a signal link for $100, or you can make the thing yourself for about 20. But it will be a learning experience

On Mar 14, 2020, at 09:37, Christopher Miller <djmalak2k6@...> wrote:

That actually is something I am worrying about.

I need to buy a cable to bring the usb out so I can plug my pc in. I know things have changed sine I used packet radio so woot! As soon as I get the guts to open the case.

Christopher Miller

I decided to make a choice. In a few hours the maintenance manager is going to come and drill a hole in the wall. I’m going to hang my dipole at about 40 feet. I’m going to hang a sign and addicts can get an rf burn if they grab it. It’s not ideal but we will see.

I forgot that I have a bench power supply so without a tuner I should be on 20 today,

Chris KF4FTR