Topics

AGC Kit

Kit Peters

I found an AGC kit in my box o' uBITX stuff. I've soldered all the components on, but I'm not sure how to hook it up!

How do I connect this to my radio?

--
Kit Peters, W0KEH
GPG public key fingerpint: D4FF AA62 AFEA 83D6 CC98 ACE5 6FAE 7E74 7F56 ED1D

Evan Hand

Thee are instructions in the download section of the website.

I need to run errands right now.  If you cannot find the instructions I will look them up when I get back later tonight.

73
Evan
AC9TU

Behiels Jean-Pierre

Hier the documention around ...

  JP Behiels With kindly regards Jean ON4AEF.

       E-mail : ON4AEF@...

I found an AGC kit in my box o' uBITX stuff. I've soldered all the components on, but I'm not sure how to hook it up!

How do I connect this to my radio?

--

Kit Peters, W0KEH
GPG public key fingerpint: D4FF AA62 AFEA 83D6 CC98 ACE5 6FAE 7E74 7F56 ED1D

Hello to any and all NSA, DEA, or other government or non-government agents reading this email.  Tell me about your life; I'll tell you about mine.

Virusvrij. www.avg.com

Kit Peters

I've looked through the documentation, and it's still not clear to me how I'm supposed to connect it to the main board.

On Thu, Oct 1, 2020 at 9:23 AM Behiels Jean-Pierre <jeanpierre.behiels@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you Jean, you saved me looking up the link.

73
Evan
AC9TU

_Dave_ AD0B

Be sure that your radio is working properly before installing the agc.
Dave
ADOB
Raduino bracket and Ham_Made_Keys

Kit Peters

Good idea, but I still don't know how to install the thing. The instructions are unclear.

On Fri, Oct 2, 2020, 07:00 _Dave_ AD0B <davesters@...> wrote:
Be sure that your radio is working properly before installing the agc.
Dave
ADOB
Raduino bracket and Ham_Made_Keys

Hi Kit,

Since the seller Sunil-VU3SUA is on this list, I hope that he could respond so that you or anyone who bought the kit could get it hooked up OK.

He uses the same AGC kit on his "Easy BITX" kit so you can look at the instructions for that.  He uses jumpers there, but you could try to deduce the connections from that.

The Audio connection is easy at it just goes to the volume pot (one to ground and one to the opposite side of the pot).

For the IF connection, I might first try to connect between R47 and C30 on the v3 board.  You would want to use mini coax for this connection I think.  But Sunil should be able to confirm this.

73,  Mark

Evan Hand

On Fri, Oct 2, 2020 at 08:02 AM, Kit Peters wrote:
Good idea, but I still don't know how to install the thing. The instructions are unclear.
Kit,
Here is a pdf that I found.  It might be in the AGC zip file.

I will say upfront that the directions are confusing.  This is especially true if used with the full case kit from AmatuerRadioKits.in.

What worked for me with a v5 board was to tap off of the volume control (High and Ground) for the audio in, tap 12 volts from the mainboard (I did not connect to the point in the picture), and then the output across R10 on the uBITX mainboard.  I did connect the VU meter (needed to set it up) and was already in the case.  I did not connect the LED.

Hope this helps
73
Evan
AC9TU

Kit Peters

OK, looking over the instructions a bit more, I get where to connect the 12V connector and the audio connector. I *think* I get where to connect the IF connector. It's JP1, SM1, and SM2 I'm not sure about. In the photos there's something in JP1 but I can't tell what it is, and the instructions don't say. I can't tell if SM1 and SM2 are supposed to be connected to anything or if they are just test points.

On Fri, Oct 2, 2020 at 11:19 AM Evan Hand <elhandjr@...> wrote:
[...]

SM1 and SM2 are for the S-meter connection.  Look at all the pictures in the manual -- there are a few there showing the connection.  Make sure you get it connected in the right direction.

JP1 is a jumper connection.  I think it says in the manual somewhere what it's for.  I think it's for fast/slow or on/off but I don't remember.

73,   Mark

...JP1 should just use a little 2-pin jumper cap like used in computers.

Kit Peters

Thanks! That makes much more sense now.

On Fri, Oct 2, 2020, 16:20 Mark - N7EKU <n7eku@...> wrote:
Hi Kit,

SM1 and SM2 are for the S-meter connection.  Look at all the pictures in the manual -- there are a few there showing the connection.  Make sure you get it connected in the right direction.

JP1 is a jumper connection.  I think it says in the manual somewhere what it's for.  I think it's for fast/slow or on/off but I don't remember.

73,   Mark

Sunil Lakhani

Jumper is for AGC fast or slow.